Advice: Walking on the lead.

babybluegirl

Hi all,

So, thought I'd make a new post here as it might be seen/get more of a response than my original thread in the "Welcome" section.  Just wanted to know if anyone else experiences what we do, whether it's "normal" and if not, how to overcome it?

We take Riley out walking several times a day and he's fine on the lead, doesn't pull, just walks nicely by the side of us, or if he's eager a step or two in front of us to the side.  Anyway, when we're walking along the pavement (sidewalk) or anywhere really, could be walking in the park on the grass etc and if he sees a dog a couple of metres away from us, he'll just stand there and not want to continue his walk to past the dog and go wherever we're actually going.  Is this normal?  Sometimes we just have to gently "drag" him to walk a little further, but he'd rather just stop and stare at the other dog until maybe that dog walks past us?!?  Just a note: Riley is very nosey and will look and want attention from everyone, i.e. if we're walking past a pub and there are people in the entrance chatting/smoking etc, he'll just stop and stare at them, until hopefully someone comes over and gives him some attention and a stroke! lol.  A real chick magnet, lol.

Hope to hear from all your good advice soon.

babybluegirl

12:05pm

• Like 6
Pawz4me

Yogi does the same thing!  He's such a friendly attention hound that he thinks ever person or dog he passes is supposed to stop and play with him.  I don't have any good advice.  We don't pass a ton of people or dogs on our walks, and often they actually do want to stop and visit a bit.  And if they don't I just kind of tug and drag Yogi along.

• Like 6
minabey

Uhm, could I maybe swap dogs with either of you? I"m not choosy as they're both super adorable. I'll even throw in a basket of fruit and a bottle of wine! :bigwink:

My dog is a magnet, too, ya know.

Only he repels everyone instead of pulling them in. :P

• Like 6
Missysmom

Ooh minabey don't say that Monkey is Adorable! I Love looking at him and I Know Missy would Love to play with him! :) 

Geez Alex at first I thought that maybe it was because Riley had been attacked so many times that he's very cautious now. But then I read Pawz comment. So maybe not.

We live in the country so everybody has dogs, a lot of them have those invisible fences (or whatever they're called) so it looks like the dogs will come out but they don't (usually!) and they're all big dogs. Missy will stand there and bark at them but I've been working with her to 'keep walking', I tell her that over and over and gently jiggle her lead. She's doing real well and we can usually keep up our walk now, with her grumbling instead of barking so they still know she's bigger than them! ;) 

• Like 7
babybluegirl

Geez Alex at first I thought that maybe it was because Riley had been attacked so many times that he's very cautious now. But then I read Pawz comment. So maybe not.

You would think right!  But no, he's always back for more :)  He just can't get enough loving from everyone one, dog or person. lol.

babybluegirl

2:39pm

• Like 6
Shihtzumummy2

My little Bob is exactly like that. In his own environment he is confident and happy, he even enjoys going to meet our neighbours dogs, which are like himself,  small. However when out walking, he neither likes people or their dogs, he will stand still and resists walking on until the offender has passed us. He doesn't like new road signs when they are fixing the roads, or if a for sale sign suddenly appears! He won't walk passed it, he is very suspicious of anything new! We have learned to just accept that he is shy and afraid of anything unfamiliar. At the moment his concerns are the man who is laying the tiles in our newly renovated bathroom suite. He went into the woods a couple of days ago and would not come out, I had catch him to go into the large outdoor pen, but he was very upset with me lol. Sam on the other hand is not afraid of anything, he loves people, other dogs and anything new and unfamiliar just the opposite of each other lol 

• Like 3
Marlene

Gosh Alex.......I'm jealous.  I have to work SO hard on socializing Shorty G.  He is just so "unsure" about new people and new dogs.  If Riley were mine, I think I'd just wait with him, maybe tell him he's a good boy and let the other dog walk by (if it seems to be a nice dog!) and maybe make a friend.

I had to take Shorty to the vet today for vaccs and later for grooming.  I feel I have to tell everyone that he "he has been known to bite".  But he got glowing reports both places saying he showed no inclination to snap.  I just can't trust him and don't want people to be caught off guard........he's just so darn cute everyone wants to approach and touch.

I suppose you could carry tiny treats and re-direct from the approaching dog to getting the treat you're holding just ahead of him.  In Shorty's case - it's his beloved tennis ball.  I can usually re-direct his tension and fear by throwing it for him.  That's what we did today at the vet - I gave the tech his ball, she threw it for him a few times and was put at ease.

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 5
babybluegirl

I love your new picture at the bottom of your posts Ellie.

Gosh Alex.......I'm jealous.  I have to work SO hard on socializing Shorty G.  He is just so "unsure" about new people and new dogs.  If Riley were mine, I think I'd just wait with him, maybe tell him he's a good boy and let the other dog walk by (if it seems to be a nice dog!) and maybe make a friend.

I had to take Shorty to the vet today for vaccs and later for grooming.  I feel I have to tell everyone that he "he has been known to bite".  But he got glowing reports both places saying he showed no inclination to snap.  I just can't trust him and don't want people to be caught off guard........he's just so darn cute everyone wants to approach and touch.

I suppose you could carry tiny treats and re-direct from the approaching dog to getting the treat you're holding just ahead of him.  In Shorty's case - it's his beloved tennis ball.  I can usually re-direct his tension and fear by throwing it for him.  That's what we did today at the vet - I gave the tech his ball, she threw it for him a few times and was put at ease.

Aww, thanks for your message.  That's a good idea about the treats, I'll have to bear that in mind.  I'm now confused, because although he's happy/social dog who likes a lot of fuss from everyone, I'm wondering if the pausing when he sees someone/dog afar is because he's "unsure" and worried?  If he was let off the lead, he heads straight for other dogs, so in that way, he's not "unsure" and just wants to befriend everyone" lol.

Today we just been over to the park and there was a French Bull Dog cross Staff and I was so worried, because of all the other incidences he's had with "Staffs/cross Staffs".  Luckily, it was a girl, so that's a good thing, and two she was with two other small dogs (friends) so it wasn't too bad of an experience for Riley (although I was more worried than him no doubt). lol.

babybluegirl

10:36am

• Like 2
Marlen

Classic Luca behavior, if the dog doesn't come over to greet him, he'll likely whine softly too (same goes for cats... lol )  :P  So, no worries, Riley is being a good baby boy, waiting for his play mates to come over and say hi ;) 

• Like 2