Foster/Adopted Shih Tzu from Puppy Mill - Does not get along with anyone but me

doctorsunkist

Hi all,

First time user and pet owner on here.  I first started fostering Bao-Zi (chinese for meat bun) 3 months ago.  Picked her up from a animal shelter that received numerous shih tzus from a dog hoarder.  All in pretty bad condition (fleas, pee on them, some with missing eyes).  Mine is approx 2-4 years old and is extremely shy.  If there is people/other animals around, she's usually trembling pretty hard.

She's gotten much better since i officially adopted her, and will follow me wherever i go.  She'll be extremely excited when i get home from work and lick me non stop.

However, living with my parents now, my mother treats her great, but she is absolutely terrified of my mom still.  SHe'll always jump out of her arms or run away from her or just avoid her.  I thought giving her treats or having my mom pretend to ignore her would work, but it hasn't.  Seems to me like Bao-Zi absolutely does not like her, but i need them to get along

She also does not take any treats from people's hands nor does she play with any toys.

Any advice out there?

Thanks,

Matt

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Edited by doctorsunkist
  • Like 8
Marlene

First question........are you by any chance from California?  I recently participated in a seizure by Animal Control of 23 Shih Tzus from a hoarder.

Any chance the hoarder or someone else in the house might have been an older woman or one who looks like your Mom?

• Like 5
Shihtzumummy2

Welcome to Chatter, and to your gorgeous wee girlie. I have two boys, one of them named Bob sounds very much like your little girl.  We have tried every conceivable method for trying to lesson his anxiety, but nothing at all works. Finally we decided not to worry too much about it. Once he feels comfortable with guests in our house, he becomes their slave. He does not like any eye contact with strangers, he will not come if others call him or try to get him to come to them. I tell people now not to bother with him until he wants to interact, that is the only thing that does work. He dislikes raised voices on the TV, or children squealing, at the moment the children in NZ are on holiday, there are lots of children out and about when we go for our walks, he isn't happy at all, but we know when to turn around and return home.  I don't want to stress him out too much so I don't force him to do anything he isn't comfortable doing. I do believe that your little girl is still adjusting, three months is not a lifetime, just give her time to gain the confidence without any expectation, she'll come right I'm sure with love and patience. She looks gorgeous

• Like 4
PipsMom

Brings to mind my topic ...118 days .....about my rescue. 

Hang in there sometimes it takes years as Jeannie will tell you later...these precious Angels have to be taught to love...they don't know what kindness is much less trust a human.

Only thing that helped mine with transition was Pet Remedy....or the like. Google it....there are several sprays on the market to help keep them calm around everybody.

• Like 5
Pawz4me

Welcome to the forum!

The only advice I can offer you is . . . . patience.  With pets who have suffered abuse or neglect it can take many months (and sometimes years) to see progress.

I adopted a neglected cat once.  It took her three months just to get up the nerve to voluntarily leave our master bathroom.

I took in a stray, abused dog (she had fresh scars to prove the abuse).  It took almost three years for her to overcome her fear of men.

• Like 4
Missysmom

Welcome Matt and Bao-Zi, so glad you have joined us! She is such a cutie, Love her pics!

My Missy is also a rescue and she too has problems with some people, am thinking there is a link to a memory there. Missy especially doesn't like men with white hair or any man wearing work boots. Our poor neighbor has white hair And he wears work boots and so he hasn't stood a chance with her, she would bark endlessly.

Well, we've had Missy a little over a year and she sees him, from a distance quite a bit. Just about two weeks ago he was out and we went to visit and she was fine, he was on the porch and she was below but No barking or anything! Then a few days later he was in the street during our walk and she actually went up to him No problems!! Yay! So yes, time and patience are key.

As for treats what has worked for us is have the person gently toss the treat to her and gradually have the person toss the treats closer to them so she has to come closer to the person if she wants the treat. It's taken a lot of time but this is working for us and she now takes treats directly from another gentleman's hands who has white hair!

You have no idea how thankful I am my hubby doesn't have white hair or wear work boots! ;) 

Good luck and just keep working with her but know there is hope eventually!

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

Welcome to Chatter........and a big thank you for taking in this sweet looking Tzu and making her a forever home. I have a puppy mill rescue Missy who is 12 years old and she spent 6 of her first years in a cage throwing out litters, her job on earth. She spent some time in a foster home before we adopted her but she is very afraid of the hubby and has been from day one........but if he sits down on the floor  or is laying on the couch to where he  is on her level she comes to him and allows him to pet her or play with her and give her treats but when he stands up she is off running.........and she did this with the foster dad also.....and still to this day will do this with anyone she comes in contact with......other than ME.  She does not like loud noise or baths..........but with lots of special attention she now interacts with my other Tzu's and has taken a special interest in our youngest Lexie and plays with her chasing and rolling on the floor or will grab her tail and pull on her. I pretty much let her do her thing because of her age but sometimes I can get her to do what I can doggie jogging and she gets all excited. Now your girl is much younger.....I would just have the other family members ignore her and let her come to them ......she will in time as soon as she sees they are not a threat. Have your mother give her treats at a certain time everyday to where over time Bao-zi will expect it.  Make it a game.......same place, same time everyday........have your Mom sound excited about it and praise Bao-zi when she is done then have her get up and walk away..........the rest of the time ignore.......this  is not going to happen overnight......it may take months or even years.......with rescues it takes patience and you have to be repetitive........over and over again. Wish you the best....Bao-zi  just needs lots of love and people she can trust and with work you and your family can do it. 

One suggestion....you can take and make some cooked chicken and cut it up in bite size pieces.....have your Mom .everyday again at the same time go to the frig take out the chicken......and call Bao-zi saying in a up beat voice TREAT TIME BAO-ZI.......give her 3 bite size pieces and praise her for being such a good girl. Put the dish back in the frig......over time when Bao-zi hears the frig open she will come running.........again this is not going to happen overnight. We have a glass cookie jar that we keep gingersnaps in and when I lift the lid and replace it the noise it creates sends me 7 Tzu's from all over the house to get a cookie.........they learn fast when it comes to food at least mine do..............

• Like 4
doctorsunkist

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughtful answers and insights!  Seems like persistence is really key to this along with consistent positive treat (perhaps cooked chicken) reinforcement.

Its funny, she's ok with my dad.  She doesn't get excited when she sees him, but will not spazz out and run away.  Just my mother (perhaps due to her previous life). I'll have my mother continue doing so and will update all if she improves!

PS Marlene - Unfortunately not in CA, we are in TX!

IMG_2499.JPG

• Like 7

You have received a lot of excellent advice, and I agree - patience and love are required.  Welcome to Chatter.  :)

• Like 4
Summerangel

Hello and welcome ?

Oh my, what a gorgeous little paw. And congratulations on giving her a forever home filled with love ?

Edited by Summerangel
  • Like 4
minabey

Welcome to Chatter!

I would also add to excellent advice given to you. Be around your mom with her so she gets used to your mom near her. Maybe do fun things she likes near your mom, like engage her in play or just petting her or something (chicken). 

I hope she bonds with your mom soon. She's a cutie. 

• Like 2
Marlene

Baby steps......slowly but surely.  See if you can sit near to your Mom holding pup or having her next to you (like on a couch) and have Mom pay NO attention.  I would definitely suggest having your Mom feed her her meals  -  feeding is the quickest way to bond (I've found). If she is hesitant to eat with your Mom nearby - just let her see Mom prepare food and put it down.

What does the pup do during the day when you're at work?

My Shorty G's story is much like Bao-Zi (by the way we LOVE those chinese meat buns!).  He was seized by animal control from a hoarder and put in a shelter.  He was there a week  before a rescue agreed to take him.  I know nothing of his former life.  He came with 2 different ages on two pieces of paperwork - one put him at 7 months, the other put him at about 4 1/2 ????  He WAS of good weight, so he wasn't mal-nourished, just very matted, full of fleas and ticks with ear mites and skin infections from chewing/licking because of flea allergy.  He had been shaved very short but still had the fleas, ticks and ear mites.  It took me about a month with vet care, baths, medications and good food to get him physically healthy.

He LOVES his Mama and his Dad but it's me he's most attached to.  Dad does those lovely walks and outings but Mom makes homecooked food and feeds him.  His problem is biting.......he doesn't appear threatening, looking at everyone with those huge brown eyes.  He is VERY cute and people are drawn to touch him.  Sooooo, if they approach with a hand, they are likely to get snapped at, same thing if he's on the ground and one bends down to pet.  He IS getting better (I've had him a year) but I can't trust him and have to always to explain to new people "he might bite".  If you spend just a few minutes throwing his beloved tennis ball or giving treats while ignoring him - he is usually approachable.  He is much better in the house than he is outside.

I am told by people who know more than me.......he is guarding me.  I just don't quite believe that.  I have a feeling he was crated all his previous life, perhaps used for stud and not handled by anyone other than his "hoarder".

I have had Boxers for over 30 years and done Boxer rescue for about 15.  We are constantly amazed how forgiving Boxers are when shown kindness, care and affection - even after having been horribly mistreated or neglected.  Most Boxers LOVE everyone they meet, no one is a stranger.  In fact they are obnoxious - LOL.  Not everyone appreciates their enthusiasm.  That being said.....Boxers are not the sharpest tool in the shed.  Shih Tzus are VERY smart, you can watch them "think".  They remember and hold grudges against those who mistreat them.  When I'd had Shorty about a month I bent down to kiss him before bedtime and he bit me on the face.  I think he was as surprised as I was, it was a learned instinct.  He got a loud "NO!" from me as well as a thump on the nose.  He has never done it again - point being he had lived a life where affection didn't happen and perhaps there were some who treated him badly.  He was smart enough to remember all that but smart enough to think it through after he was chastised by someone he truly loves - me.

I love all the suggestions about giving treats here and there, opening the fridge and inviting her for a treat.  My advice is to go really slowly, have Mom basically ignore her, offer treats and feed her but otherwise, be low key. If you can make one small step a month - I'd be content with that.

• Like 1
Yvonne

Welcome, she looks really sweet.

i hope everything works out over time with your mother.

Glad she found a loving home. 

• Like 1
Amy0515

Hi Matt!  Bao-Zi is beautiful!  I wish you much luck in helping her get acclimated to her new environment.  I'm sure that with lots of patience and love, she will ready to love all of you in no time.  

• Like 1
Marlen

She's such a pretty girl! It's such a shame to see any dog suffering :( You've gotten great advice, and my only one is also, patience. It's going to take her time to get used to all the changes. And even though she might be scared, I just know she's feeling so much better being a part of your family :throb: 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...