Good morning doggy lovers. ♥

I have a question on crate training my 8 week old pup, Patrick.

I have tried and made it a positive experience for him, I have put in the crate toys and some treats, I feed him in it, he even walks in it during the day alone.

When the night comes though and I try to crate him, he SCREAMS! :( I don't know what to do, help.

• Like 2
ParadiseTzu

Do you place the crate beside your bed at night? This is what I did and have had no crying in the crate at night since. My puppy is six months old.

• Like 5
Pawz4me

It's normal for young puppies to fuss and cry for a few nights.  Look at it from his perspective -- he's probably used to sleeping in a pile with his mother and his siblings, and all of a sudden he's on his own.  It's a huge, scary adjustment.

Putting his crate near your bed can help.  You can also try a hot water bottle (not too hot) wrapped in a towel to simulate the heat he's used to from his siblings and mom.  And some people have had success placing a ticking clock near the crate.  That's supposed to simulate the mother's heartbeat.

Keep up the good work you're already doing -- he will get it eventually!

• Like 5
Shihtzumummy2

Welcome to Chatter Dimitra and Patrick, you have come to the right place for advice and support. This is a great place for learning all about these wonderful little dogs. Patrick looks adorable, congratulations on getting him.

Please don't fret too much about him, they are stronger than you think, within a very short space of time the two of you will be very comfortable together. All he needs right now is exactly what you are providing for him, love, food, safety and patience. Try to enjoy each day that passes, and cherish these puppy days, they go by so fast, take heaps of photos, and do share with us, some of his antics and photos.

• Like 5

Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice! :)

I have tried placing the crate in my bedroom near my bed but it doesn't seem to help. I hear him crying very loudly and I can't help but worry but I don't let him out till he stops crying for a minute so that he doesn't think I encourage this behaviour. Will he ever get used to the crate if I am patient? 

• Like 4
Pawz4me

Yes, he'll get used to it eventually.  Also, just like with human toddlers -- make sure he gets enough exercise during the day that he's tired at night.  And no long naps in the late afternoon/early evening.  You want him tired and ready to sleep when it's time to go to bed.

• Like 4
babnaw

My one pup never really learned to like the crate.  He could scream and bite at the bars for hours, sleep for a couple hours and be back at it again.  I'm not anti-crate.  I think they are great when used wisely, but if I had to do it again I don't think I would have crated him.  I tried all the suggestions and he finally got to the point that he would sleep for half the night in it after whining briefly, but then would whine again in the middle of the night when he woke up.  Once he was holding it all night I ditched the crate.  I hope your pup takes to it soon though as it is great for a dog to be comfortable with their crate.

• Like 1
beebalm

I moved Carrera's pen just a bit in his bedroom.  Now my Air Condition floor vent is inside his pen and he loves his pen much more.

Seems now when I leave him in it and go out, he now doesn't cry.  He lays on top of the vent as the AC gushes out being very very cool. :baby:  

• Like 3