Housebreaking Issues

minabey

Hi, everyone. We are having a recurring issue in regarding monkeys toilet habits. Monkey is just 90% reliable indoors. The issue is that any chance he gets, he would poop and/or pee in my in-laws' bed. He's never done that to ours but he has had countless times on their bed. 

What I'm really curious about is WHY he does that. I mean, just this morning he was with them hanging out in the porch having coffee (them not Monkey hahaha), then they went inside to the kitchen to return their cups. One goes, "Where's Monkey?" Well, they found him walking nonchalantly from their bedroom to our bedroom. FIL rushed to their bed and sure enough, Monkey left them a present, a double whammy at that. And they just changed sheets yesterday. :rolleyes: Someone got a scolding and it was not the dog (FIL hahaha). LOL

if any one of you good ladies and gents know why Monkey does that, I'd love to hear about it.

Edited by minabey
  • Like 2
Missysmom

Oh dear that's not good especially when it's the in laws. I can't help at all with why he does it but I can sympathize as Missy went through a spell where she would pee on her daddy's side of the bed and yep I got the scolding! :cheezy:

I finally broke down and got one of those plastic furniture covers, didn't stop her from doing it but at least I didn't have to change all the linens! She finally stopped just as suddenly as she had started. Never understood any of it. Hopefully someone can explain it. For my sanity I think I'd close their bedroom door! ;) 

• Like 3
minabey

Well, he's barricaded in our bedroom (which has an adjoining bath) with us as we work from home. We take him out for potty breaks, playtime, and every time we go out of the room for any reason or the in-laws invite him to hang out (especially every morning while we're still asleep so he gets potty breaks from very early in the day by them). Well, it was a senior moment that usually gets them a "present" when Monkey is with them and he escapes their watch and finds their bedroom door open. 

Thanks for the tip on the mattress protector, Vicki. I'll have to get them that.

It's just so weird that sometimes, he was just outside with them for a potty break, then he'll race back inside and if their bedroom door is open, pee in there again. It's so baffling. 

• Like 3
PipsMom

I had that issue with a previous rescue and was told its marking the bed as if he's claiming it as his territory. 

My two when they stayed with their uncle while I was away for a week did that to sofa's....totally out of character....but they have another dog in the house and they were claiming the living room as theirs....my male in intact and his cousins isn't so the thought he was top dog.

Keep the door shut or plastic line the bed was my only cure but it sure does make you mad when you just washed the whole bed.

Edited by PipsMom
  • Like 3