Willie's One Remaining Issue

ParadiseTzu

At 7 months Willie and I have worked thru all of his issues regarding grooming and he is doing well with his potty training. He is a very smart little fellow and has learn so many words and that continues to amaze me that these dogs ARE so smart. As far as grooming, just this morning he stood very calmly while I trimmed around his feet, did not move and very calmly let me cut his nails. I actually thought a few months ago that that would be one thing (nail trimming) that would remain a problem forever, how wrong I was.  I just had to learn that Sassy Mae just accepts things whatever they may be, that is her personality. But Willie has to be taught and that is fine just a difference but at least he shows he is very teachable (and I had to learn that).

Anyway, our one remaining issue I have absolutely no idea how to correct it or if it is possible to. When I pick him up to go out to potty, he immediately karate kicks me in the side. I always have on jeans that are slightly drop waisted and his kick lands right at the top of the waist band. And then he proceeds to walk up my side with cat claws rapidly. Has those rear feet in the position of arched cat claws like he is scared. He gets my shirt raised up and there are times when it feels as if he breaks the skin. So far not tho. It does hurt tho. I try to carry him with both hands, front hand  under his chest, rear hand between his back legs,  in an effort to prevent this walking up my side but must shift to one hand to open a door on the way in/out. I carry him because to get to the grass we must walk over gravel and if I am leading him he puts on the brakes refusing to walk on that gravel. So I continue to carry him out. I have tried every way I can think of to hold him very comfortably in case he is scared of being carried and I really think it is just a habit he has developed. Any ideas?

Edited by ParadiseTzu
  • Like 6
PipsMom

He must really get to happy about going outside to show his excitement like he does. Only thing I can think of is while he's on the floor...lay a thick towel over his back tail to neck...as you lift him up bring the edges up under each leg and Pampoos him totally....Or have him stand on the towel then wrap it over his back.....carry him feet facing forward like a baby....then he can be carried as a bundle without doing your skin damage. Before coming back into the house...Pampoos him again...

Other than that ??? Maybe your hubby can make a short ramp or dirt track across the gravel just for him...if it's possible.

Edited by PipsMom
  • Like 5
ParadiseTzu

Oh thanks Crystal. I am going to try the towel tip. 

• Like 3
Missysmom

Ah ha so we're not alone over here!! Missy tries that alot when i pick her up for her trip to the crate when we have to leave. If i don't watch it she'll also kick me when i go to pick her up as that little back leg comes forward to try to block me. I really think this is a game with her to be honest! 

What i have found to work, with her anyway, is to basically flip her back side around to my back, so i have her tummy at my side. That usually works but i've also held her back legs together with my hand. Our trips are short though so that might not work for you.

• Like 2
PipsMom

Oh thanks Crystal. I am going to try the towel tip. 

Dont know if it will work. ........let us know if it helps....may help someone else in the future.

• Like 2
Crinkly

How about one hand under the chest, and the other hand behind the back legs.

As you lift with the chest hand, kind of scoop the back legs so that he is sitting on your hand.

Then, if you want to restrain those back legs, you can use the fingers of your scooping hand.

Cato is (we think) afraid of heights.  So I always carry him like this, left hand around his chest, right hand giving him a secure seat, and letting him lean comfortably against my chest.  He has learned that he is safe, secure, and is very relaxed and trusting (now, but not in the past)

• Like 3
ParadiseTzu

As you lift with the chest hand, kind of scoop the back legs so that he is sitting on your hand.

Then, if you want to restrain those back legs, you can use the fingers of your scooping hand.

Cato is (we think) afraid of heights.  So I always carry him like this, left hand around his chest, right hand giving him a secure seat, and letting him lean comfortably against my chest.  He has learned that he is safe, secure, and is very relaxed and trusting (now, but not in the past)

a

and yes, that does work, but if I have to let go of those back legs to open the door he starts walking at my side with the cat claws. And I do think he is scared of heights, he is kinda frantic when he does it. I try to be very careful in how I hold him because of that possible fear. Maybe the papoose wrapping would make him feel more secure or maybe we need some walking sessions on the gravel to toughen those little pads up but geesh I dont want to walk barefoot on it either. I hate to modify the gravel driveway in any way, that is where we park our vehicles. Rural living, ya know.

Now that I think about it, Sassy Mae had a problem at that age. If I was holding her and started to put her down, she kicked off my stomach launching herself which sometimes caused her to hit the tile floor too hard. Scared me several times but she outgrew that habit. Hopefully maybe he will outgrow this. Im just thinking maybe wrapping him up in the towel could break the habit and then he will forget      about it.

• Like 4