I am having a hard time potty training Chang to not pee in his crate at night.. We go on our nightly walks and he get's drinks on our walks, and than when we get home he get's a drink.  I take him out to go potty/play and he does go right before bed. But most night's he will pee in his crate, i wash the blankets and clean out his crate everyday, I've tried setting alarm's in the middle of the night to take him out but he never goes than. And he does not whine at night. 

Any suggestions?

• Like 3
Amy0515

I put a pee pad in Coco and Benji's enclosure and they will use that at night but they haven't done that in several weeks.  They have learned to wait until the morning and they know I take them out at the same time every morning.  

• Like 4
Crinkly

Mine always had a pee pad in their pen with them, but rarely used it.  They sleep in a pen in the bedroom.

I was very reluctant to get up in the night to take them out, so it seemed like the best option.

How big is Chang's crate?  is there room for his bedding and a pad?  I am sure he would prefer to go on the pad rather than his bed.  Unless you get the smell of the pee ENTIRELY out of the crate, you may find he can still smell last night's wee and think that it is OK, because 'this is the usual spot'.

• Like 3

I put a pee pad in Coco and Benji's enclosure and they will use that at night but they haven't done that in several weeks.  They have learned to wait until the morning and they know I take them out at the same time every morning.  

I will have to do this. He's on a routine, I put him to bed and take him out in the morning the same time every day. Your babie's seem to be a month older than Chang. Maybe i need to give him more time to grasp the idea :) 

Mine always had a pee pad in their pen with them, but rarely used it.  They sleep in a pen in the bedroom.

I was very reluctant to get up in the night to take them out, so it seemed like the best option.

How big is Chang's crate?  is there room for his bedding and a pad?  I am sure he would prefer to go on the pad rather than his bed.  Unless you get the smell of the pee ENTIRELY out of the crate, you may find he can still smell last night's wee and think that it is OK, because 'this is the usual spot'.

Thank you.. And his crate is a medium; there is room for a pee pad and bed. I'll try this and see if he will potty on the pee pad. And that's what I am afraid of;  I don't clean it good enough and he smell's last night's potty. The person i got him from would put blanket's/rugs down for the puppy's to potty on, so that is what he is used to; now that i think about it that is probably why he does that. But out of the crate he lets me know when he needs to potty. 

I'll try to the potty pads and hopefully he'll use those at night. 

• Like 3
PipsMom

The person i got him from would put blanket's/rugs down for the puppy's to potty on, so that is what he is used to; now that i think about it that is probably why he does that. But out of the crate he lets me know when he needs to potty. 

You just had the Eureka idea! :ohyeah:

If that's what he was taught as a puppy that's what he thinks is normal. Throw out everything he's use to weeing on and he'll start identifying  the pad with weeing 

• Like 4

The person i got him from would put blanket's/rugs down for the puppy's to potty on, so that is what he is used to; now that i think about it that is probably why he does that. But out of the crate he lets me know when he needs to potty. 

You just had the Eureka idea! :ohyeah:

If that's what he was taught as a puppy that's what he thinks is normal. Throw out everything he's use to weeing on and he'll start identifying  the pad with weeing 

Funny how that works when you type something out, it's like DUH! lol

Ok; tonight i will put a pee pad in his crate with nothing else.. 

• Like 4
PipsMom

Bet cha it works too!

Let us know tomorrow so we all can celebrate the achievement together. :bounce8:

• Like 3

I didn't have time to come on yesterday. But it seem's that Chang didn't potty in his kennel! I feel bad for not having a blanket in there with him atleast, so i am going to try and put one in with him tonight and see how he does :) 

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
live2trainmore

Get rid of the pad and blanket and reduce the size of the crate. Once he's stopped you can re-introduce the blanket.

• Like 2
Sophie's Haven

I don't crate my guys but did want to mention when you wash your bedding add 1/2 baking soda to the wash.......helps remove odors.  Chang needs something comfy to lay on when he is in the crate.........

• Like 4