Luca's been aggressive...

Infamousmare

Infamousmare

After talking with all of you a few days ago about Luca's barking/nipping/zooming, I began to pay close attention to his cues.   You are right - when DH comes into the room and around late afternoon, Luca will put his paws on the floor and bark and loves nothing more than a game of tug with his Flappy toy.  Even though he barks and sometimes growls as he's flipping his Flappy around, his tail does wag and he has a twinkle in his eye.   I have also noticed that when he needs to go out (usually #2), he'll nip at my hands a bit, but if I flatten them, he'll just lick me and he gets excited when I walk him to the door/will sit patiently while I harness him.  He's not at all out of control during these times.  

However, there's something that worries me a lot.   Several times, when loud noises or just one of us appearing has startled him, he growls, gets down, barks and lunges.  Today, he just began doing that while we were out for a potty walk - there was no traffic, no loud noise, no sudden movement.  He just turned, started barking at me and bit me on the ankle.   Every time I tried to move, he'd jump and snap at my hands or my side.   He broke the skin on my hand today doing this.     During these episodes, his tail does not wag and we cannot get him out of it.   When he's playing, he will still obey a command ("Sit, Luca!" or "Pen, Luca!").    When these other instances I've described happen, he's in his own world and he doesn't even *look* like the same sweet puppy.  He will bite (HARD) our ankles and jump to snap at our hands/sides.  It is not play biting or nipping and it's quite frightening even though he's just a little doggy.

Yesterday, our neighbors dropped by for a few minutes and Luca did the same thing at the husband - he barked/growled at them from his pen.   Later, when I was out walking Luca and ran into them on the street.  He growled, lunged at the man's feet, then jumped and tried to snap the woman on her side.    When I reached down to scoop him up (I didn't yell or get rough with him), he bit me.   

I am at a loss.  I understand that he likely had a rough life before coming here and I don't always know what triggers might be.  However, these episodes have gotten a bit more frequent - we're now seeing this up to 3 times a day.   He's now been with us for 3 weeks - is this a phase that's a normal part of the settling in process?    Is this something I should be concerned about?   Is this something I should consult a trainer about?

I should add that when this happens, I have been using the lid of a plastic bin (once I used a couch cushion!) just to separate myself from him and I get him into his pen (he follows me, snapping at the lid the whole way.  He'll pace for a few minutes, dig at his bed/towels, then flop down and pass out into a deep sleep.    Once he wakes up, he's back to Mr. Sweet Puppy.   

• Like 3
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Infamousmare

• Missysmom

• Marlene

• PipsMom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ahhh, okay, I have a few minutes to update.   The first part of the day was great.  The end of the day had me screaming "Calgon, take me away!" in my head as Luca bit my feet, my husband texted that h

Wonderful, amazing, experienced information in this thread.........

Okay...am on my way to pick up dh from the airport (I love Fridays!  He comes home!) and I don't have tons of time; however, I wanted to let you know we had a great day today.  Yes, Luca went into hi

Oh dear.  That does sound a bit worrisome.

I think it's always a good idea to get a trainer who can see the dog live and in person for any type of aggression.  As much as we all want to help . . . we just can't see what's going on.  And that's critically important when evaluating behavioral issues and giving advice.

My "first do no harm" advice is this --

As much as possible ignore him when he has one of those spells.  I know there are times you can't do that, like when he growled/lunged at the couple when you were walking him.  But if it's during a potty break or inside the house (and you've got on jeans and shoes so that he can't hurt your legs or feet) try totally ignoring him and see what happens.  You can be a tree -- fold your arms across your chest, find something fabulously entertaining up on the ceiling that you need to look at, etc.  See if he'll settle down when his actions get him zero attention.  Hopefully he will.  If not . ..  that's a useful piece of information to have.

Read up on Nothing In Life Is Free and start implementing it right away.  Get everybody in the family on board.  This is a good introductory article and explains NILIF the way I like to do it (keeping it fun and not punitive).  There are lots more articles available about it.  Done right it helps teach a dog his place in the home (and among humans in general) and helps build confidence at the same time.

There's also a good argument to be made for bringing down the wrath of God on him when he has one of these spells and (hopefully) convincing him in one massive correction to never, ever do that again.  It's not my preferred method of dealing with something like this, but it certainly can work and with a small dog you can consider doing that.  I wouldn't advise trying it with a larger one.

• Like 5
Infamousmare

Thank you.  I am going to read that article once everyone is in bed.    We also have a few books on training and a dog training video I ordered just arrived in the mail today.   You are correct - it's difficult to know how to help if you're not here and honestly, I would be willing to bet that I'm doing something wrong myself.     I looked up a couple of in-home trainers in my area and the cost is astronomical.   It's not that I don't feel it's worth it...I just don't have it in my budget to shell out $1000 or more to have someone help me.   There are a couple of little puppy socialization training classes, but they don't work so much on this stuff, so I'll read that article, I'll watch the videos and we'll keep working with him.    He is a smart little doggy and he's picked up right away on "sit".   He also knows to "hide" his treats in his pen now and not the rest of the house, so I'm hopeful that if I'm patient and I get some guidance on how to best deal with this, we'll all be okay.  

Okay, now I'm going to go practice my mantra "be the tree...be the tree..."    *giggles*

• Like 5
Missysmom

I'd find that concerning too. But was wondering if you see any pattern when he does this? Did you change anything, like your shoes, when you were out for his potty break and he bit you? I ask since we have the shoe/boot issue thing going with Missy, although she hasn't bit but she does do the barking/ growling. She did that with my hubby when he put on work boots, in our case we just ditched the boots! That's one I don't think will ever change with this girl, it was obviously a very bad previous experience for her.

Which might have be the thought too with the neighbor, some sort of similarity in looks, etc to his past experience. We have that with several grey haired men, still working on that for Missy to accept them. Took us awhile to figure out it was the grey hair especially since one had on the work boots too. But just thinking if you can find any pattern you can at least start working with him from a distance from the person to work up to gaining his acceptance. That's how I did with Missy, had her see the neighbors from a distance and work with her on the barking/growling but again I wasn't dealing with biting. But it's taken a long time, repetition and patience and we're not done yet.

On the reaching down to pick him up when he's doing this, I have found that I will startle Missy too when she's doing this, but again she hasn't bit me. But I have found I need to get right close to her and say her name loudly several times before I try to pick her up so as not to startle her when she's barking at our neighbors. Of course if he's bitting you don't want to get very close! Maybe if you try clapping your hands or something to get his attention and get him out of the zone so you don't have to get too close to him? But I'm sure you've already tried a bunch of things to get him out of the zone, so that might not work either.

Gee I hate that trainers are so crazy expensive, we haven't had any success finding a reasonable one either. My only other thought would be the vet if you can't get him to stop biting. I know some people have had to go to a med like Xanax or Prozac, etc to get a calmness so you can work with them to get through it. I hate to go to meds though except as a last resort. Hopefully some others will come on with more ideas. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

• Like 3
Marlene

I'm not going to try and give you advice.  After a year I still consider myself a newbie to Shih Tzus, their behavior and what to expect.

Maybe it's our fault.  Shorty G is named after a gangster (and he IS one) and looks like Luca is also (character from the Godfather?)

Except for 2 completely unexpected instances, Shorty has never been aggressive with me.  Both times it happened (and about a year apart) I was bending over him to show affection.  The first time he snapped at my face - the second time he growled at me and I consider that a positive sign.  Warning me "I don't like that right now" rather than snapping at me. I thumped him, loudly told him "NO!  Bad Boy" and went about my business.

I have no experience with Tzu puppies  -  Shorty G and the other three I cared for were all adults when they came into my life.  NONE of the other 3 were in the least bit aggressive - they were open and friendly.

Shorty has a problem with strangers.....and he's SO cute everyone immediately reaches out to pet him.  He usually snarls and snaps.  When I give the person treats to feed - he takes them nicely but when they're gone and the hand reaches out to pet - he goes Cujo.

Not too long ago when he really surprised and embarrassed me I yanked him up by the scruff, yelled very loudly "NO! Shorty!  BAD DOG!" and carried him into the house, put him in a covered crate for 20 minutes without speaking or looking at him.  When I let him out he hopped out his happy adorable self.  I, on the other hand felt sick to my stomach.  I have never treated animals that way...nor children.

He seems to be getting better but it is SOOOO slow - and he's SO smart it seems unusual to me.

Our dogs are in the car a lot with us.  Shorty goes beserk when we get gas and the attendant walks up (in OR it is illegal to pump your own gas).  I've been "preparing" him for a gas stop by bringing him onto my lap, window down, handing over my credit card and telling the attendant "we're practicing being a good boy". The card gets handed back and then the receipt - passing to my hand close to his face.  It seems to be helping and he quiets down quickly now when he charges a car window and I correct him.

If I can con someone (dog knowledgeable) to come in the house, I prepare by giving person a cup of treats, have him/her throw them on the floor, ignore Shorty, then eventually sit down.  He is also addicted to mini-tennis balls and I hand over a ball for the guest to throw.  Within a few minutes Shorty is on their lap, calmly sitting and getting affection.  But it's hard to find someone to do that daily (which is what we need to do) and I don't trust Shorty and probably won't be able to.

We are unsure of his age - according to some paperwork that came with him.....he may be about 18 months old ( about 7 months at that time) or he might be about 5 yrs.  I don't actually think either one of those is accurate though he is probably somewhere in the middle 2-3.

He was seized by Animal Control from a hoarder and that's all I know about his past.  I don't think he was abused but may have been neglected.  He was of good weight but was filthy, matted and covered in fleas and ticks. He was only in the shelter for 2 days before I got my hands on him.

So....I just lurk and listen and try to pick up tips from those with lots of experience with the breed.  Meanwhile, we love him like crazy and if he wasn't so naughty.....he would be SO good!

How old is Luca?

• Like 5
Infamousmare

I will definitely start to look for a pattern.   I normally either wear flip flops or a pair of mountain climbing shoes when we go out, both for potty walks and our longer evening walks.  I normally don't wear shoes in the house...again, though, in addition to watching the difference between playing and crazy snapping, I'll try to see if there's anything else going on.  Shoes, noise level, whatnot.   

You know, you made me wonder about something - there are two massive, loud, menacing German Shepherds at the house across the street.  Their owners are the very neighbors that came over yesterday/that we ran into out for a walk (they were NOT with their dogs but I'm sure they smelled of German Shepherd!).   When we go for our evening walks, those dogs go nuts barking and jumping at their fence and Luca goes nuts trying to lunge at them.   However, when Luca encountered a very sweet, obnoxiously playful puppy a few days ago, he immediately put his tush on the ground, head down and became super submissive.   Strange.  

I also wonder if the eclipse last night and full moon tonight have anything to do with the fact that Luca has been NUTS all. day. long.   He's had the Zoomies times 10, he's been super nippy/lunge-y and has barked and whined a lot.   I know it sounds strange, but I keep reading that these things can also upset dogs...?

• Like 4
Missysmom

Oh not strange at all and a Very good point, I forgot all about the moon! Our last Shepard reacted to both full and new moons, and yes our vet knew all about that history with animals and totally agreed that's what it was. It could happen with her anywhere from a few days before to a few days after. I marked my calendar and tracked her patterns, for years she was very consistent with the moon phase. That could be exactly what Luca is reacting too, good thought!

Same with the Shepards, I'm sure Luca smelled them on your neighbors and given their barking and jumping at the fence it's very likely he associated that with them. Yep sounds like you're on to something here!

• Like 4
Infamousmare

Marlene!  We were posting at the same time!

Yes, Luca is short for Luca Brasi.   He looks like a little gangster with that underbite.  :-)      The kill shelter listed him as 6 months so he'd be about 7 months old now.   Luca chews everything in sight but is a SMART doggy - as soon as I say "drop it!" in a firm voice, he does.     When he wanders into places he isn't supposed to go, I'll say "No" in a firm voice and he'll stop in his tracks.    My daughter and I have been clicker training him to sit, stay and release - and he's been doing wonderfully.   We also have a habit now where he'll come in from a walk, go straight to a pail where I keep his treats, sit down patiently, get a treat (always one of those little Zuke's or Blue Bakery trainers), then take it straight to his pen.     He is an intelligent little dog.  

But when he goes into "nuts-o" mode, it's like he's a totally different dog.   I think your description of "going Cujo" is so true!    Luca doesn't snap at random strangers, though.  He does fine with most of our friends that come over.     He has also started making puddles in the house, even after going to the bathroom outside.   I hadn't connected the two, but now I wonder if they are...?

HAHA - now I was posting at the same time as Vicki!

I think I will start keeping a log of behaviors and cross-check it against moon phases, changes in weather/shoes/clothing, our overall activity level and so on.   We were just outside on his potty walk and I noticed how full, bright and large the moon is tonight (even after last night's Super Moon).   All the dogs in our neighborhood have been barking like mad, so I have a feeling Mr. Luca might be reacting to things outside my realm of comprehension.   

Now, let's hope I see fewer puddles in the house.   I don't know how that little bugger does it because I don't let him out of my sight!   Well, that is, until he zooms away.   *weary laugh*

• Like 3
Missysmom

A logs a great idea, after I read about one on here I started keeping one for Missy. Every day I log what she eats, any itching, etc- my hubby thinks I'm nuts, but it's very helpful!

Any chance Luca is marking, like where another dog may have been in the house or something? That's actually pretty common  especially when they are new to a place, trying to make it 'theirs'. Try cleaning it up with something like Miracle Solution so hopefully he won't go there again.

Edited by Missysmom
  • Like 3

I'm probably one of the least "woo woo" people on earth, but I do think the moon can cause weirdness.  All you need to do is talk to just about any first responder, ER staff, labor/delivery nurse, etc. to know that strange things do indeed seem to happen during any full moon.  And the one we just had was atypical.

This thread also reminded me that Yogi went through a spell when he was a puppy of gong slightly bonkers when someone had on long pants.  It was during the fall when he turned one.  I guess he'd gotten used to almost everyone having on shorts during the summer, and long pants seemed to trigger some weirdness in him for awhile until he got used to it.  He's never done that since then.

• Like 4
PipsMom

Moon weirdness...yes there is something about it. When working at 911 we dreaded full moon...more violence, more heart attacks..just craziness.

Where is affects animals? Who knows.

Abby....Normally a sweet, loving dog in correct controlled conditions .....But I live daily with a rescue cujo too..the zone you speak of I found out is called Reactive Aggresstion and something in the physical world always triggers it. I've learned the triggers by observation and outside the home  I short lead her when approaching children, baby carriages, young strange men etc....

The reactiveness is instant, her body tenses up hard and coiled, she gives a short low warning growl then if not snapped out of it reacts with lunges, barks madly trying to bite at passing people, that are to close to her safety zone. Her aggresstion  is unwarranted and not logical...I call it brain damage from previous abuse....wired to protect herself first and react........Since she has all this fear inside and no way to let it out her next move it what ever close is going to get bit....usually that's trying to have a attack bite at Pip or my ankle....what ever is the closest. I do keep my hands away from her in the first few seconds....then I react to correct and using cue words to snap out of it..... After reading 20-30 books about her illogical reactions I have been training her in the past few months from what I have read as the behaviour was accelerating fast....she's come a long way...but there are days she regresses and Im sure I'll never cure her but she will learn how to redirect her aggression in time. At no time do I baby her or speak in a soft voice..Good mommie don't exist when she's in the zone....good mommie only exists when she's following command or snaps out of the zone..Believe me she's learned when Alpha mommie is displeased....once she learned that and respected me as the leader, training made progress....First remember....baby steps....correction is not instant...go slow, be consistent and do not be afraid to use your stern voice. You can not be nice during training. Think of it as boot camp....

Here's  what I have been training inside and outside....you may pick something up that helps your situation for each rescue dog is different and has different issues.

Inside....

When Luca barks and lunges at you- If your sitting, jump up fast to startle him, go right to him get in His space....but keep your face and your hands out of reach in the beginning...remember he'll react when you invade his space and he wants you out! But do not back down, ever! Learn him cue words first.....No bark said loudly, sternly...if he backs up...step into his space again...sternly say No Bite or No Bark...I've went around the room stepping into her space to say no bark, no bite till I broke her barking....No sub in the animal world barks or bites at the leader of the pack without being put in their place instantly. You can't not sit back and just say it...you must react instantly every last time...They soon learn this pack animal lesson. One Luca stops barking....

Do not allow over active play to proceed...quick moving hands become a game of bite the prey...total and controlled calm at all times till he can control himself. If he has a bite at a hand....sternly say no bite! Stand up, move away, no eye contact, no interaction. Leave him standing there wondering....what the heck just happened. Shih Tzu's can't stand being ignored...they are pack animals....this teaches him rules of being in a pack means do not bite Alpha members of the family without a penalty. If the bite is unprovoked....isolation to the crate saying no bite all the way to it...then no talk, no eye contact. 

Outside

Watch and learn the triggers....watch him the whole time your walking and always ready to snap him out of the zone... Have him on a short lead right next to you, not in front. Once you see reactiveness but he's not pulling yet, say command, walk on and repeat. In the beginning he won't listen...stop, still on short lead control his reaction by standing tall and sternly saying No Bark. If he has a go at your ankles which reactive aggression is passed to the closest thing available hold him away from your feet...Do not proceed or be happy talking till he gets control over himself...then when calm...command Walk On...again...You'll do this many times till a light bulb goes off in his head not to lunge and try to bite...it will get him nowhere. Your trying to teach him the whole while Your in control of his safety...not him....Abby will still bark but not lunge....I still stop the walk...get her under control short leaded...once she's calm, she'll look up at me on cue to ask...am I'm safe now? Then I say Walk on...

Reactive dogs are hard work but out of the zone they are normal loving pets...they can't help brain damage from abuse. We have to observe reactive cues they give us, correct bad behaviour immediately and in a few months you will see a change....not cured...but one you can live with. Hope Abby and my journey helps you get the answers you seek.

• Like 4
Infamousmare

I hear you - former psychotherapist here and, having worked psych ER in my life before having kids, the full moon does do odd things to people.  *weary laugh*   I'm sure it does odd things to dogs, too.   But that's about it - I'm not about to go have Luca's chakras examined or his paws read.   *cracks up laughing*   

I am a kind but firm mother to my human children - we are what you might call "strict" parents.  We love our children, we have a lot of fun together, but there are very definite, distinct lines that kids do not cross, period.   PipsMom's post reminded me that perhaps I need to take this same stance with my puppy.   I kept thinking that as a rescue he needs lots of love and gentle guidance...but it makes so much sense when he's in nutty mode to get just as firm as I would with my own children.   I don't have problems with sass or bad attitudes from my kids not because I'm a nasty person, but because they know they don't cross those boundaries.   Luca should know what lines HE cannot cross with us, either.  

• Like 5
PipsMom

Your completely and utterly correct...Shih Tzu's act, behave and interpret identically to a small toddler in every way. Think you will be fine now...treat him as your child and watch the results.  

• Like 2
Missysmom

So so true an so hard with those incredible eyes boring in on you like saying 'what? Who Me?'! I often have to look away from Missy after giving a firm command so as not to be a victim of and giving in to 'the look'!

But hang in there it does get easier with time to be consistently firm with them! And they will and do learn, Missy goes away grumbling at us and pouts! ;) 

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

The sad part of having a rescue is you do not know their background........he may have issues with certain size people men or women, the sounds of their voice, smell or laugh, whether they have a hat on or the style of shoe they are wearing.......you will never know. Bailey came into our home not trusting anyone.........he spent his first week with just ME.......getting to know me and building trust and knowing that I was BOSS. The first 6 months in our house he would not warm up to the hubby and when we would try to socialize the two.......... Bailey would poop on him. Anytime the hubby would be sitting down at the computer Bailey would stand in the doorway and bark/growl at him constantly. Thankfully my hubby has the patience of a saint. Anytime we were outside  Bailey would bark and lunge as soon as he would see a loud truck with a bad muffler go past the house......kept him on a short leash so I was able to work on getting him under control and to stay focused. Bailey will be with us 6 years this coming March and this will be his 2nd summer of not having to be leashed to go on our walks. We live on 11 acres so they have plenty of room to roam.........when he gets to far ahead of me all I have to do is say his name and he comes back. One thing that the hubby and I would do is have a baggie of cherrios and we would put about 60 feet between us and call each paw by name to run back and forth on demand. This really helped getting their attention by name if they knew a treat was waiting for them.  I know you let the kids take him for walks but until you get his behavior under control I would be the one in charge for a while......sometimes to many things going on at once may be confusing to him if that makes any sense. Our Allie was at home the minute we picked her up but our Winnie took 2 years to settle before she realized this was home. Our Missy has no issues with me but if the hubby is standing up she runs from him......if he sits down or lays down she will come to him for attention but if he stands up she is gone......if  there is someone in the house other than ourselves Missy is under the bed until they leave.............

One thing with Bailey he is happy in his home surroundings.....when he goes somewhere with me he is on the defense and as soon as we pull in the drive and I open the gate he is a totally different paw......his tail is a wagging and he gets all excited. He is good when we go out......I put him in his stroller and he is very well behaved but you can tell it is not what he wants to be doing......TAKE ME HOME....... You can not approach Bailey from behind or when he is sleeping........he will growl or snap. The sad part is when he realizes it is me and when he gets over the scare he will come and lick my hand to say he is sorry for being a butt...........He knows the firm word NO and all of my guys know the rules of the house and who is the BOSS.....they will listen to the hubby but the sound of my voice is all it takes because when momma is not happy no one is happy..........

As soon as my guys start acting like goof balls the first thing I look for is a full moon............

We got Lexie when she was 3 months old.......from a bad backyard breeder. An example of how they do not forget......the family had a young girl and she would blow in Lexie's face for fun to torment her......Lexie will be 5 next month and to this day she does not like anyone blowing in her face.....she does not get mean but has her little way of telling you to stop it..........

You can be loving but firm at the same time.....Luca will not hold it against you......he will only get better with time.

• Like 4
Infamousmare

Marlene, you hit the nail on the head.   I appreciate all of the information and advice more than you guys will ever know.  

Okay.  We had quite the day.   Luca started off with his barking/lunging/biting right off the bat this morning.  I did as PipsMom said and, while it took him just a bit to back down, he became totally submissive.  It was strange to see - he whined, hung his head, then came over to my feet and rolled over onto his back.   I felt HORRIBLE for using my "mean mama" voice; however, it worked.     He was good all day, then he did it again tonight...and that's when things got interesting.  He bit my daughter on the knee (a jump-and-bite maneuver) and got me good on the ankle.  Mean mama "no bite" and getting a plastic lid between us helped, then I became a tree and stared at the ceiling.   He did calm down, but then he got SUPER anxious.  After this episode, he urinated in his pen three times.  I caught him in the act the first time, said "no" and got him outside to finish.   I brought him back in, got him into his pen so that I could finish dinner and within 10 minutes, he peed again.   I cleaned it up, got him back outside, put him back into the pen and I'll be darned if he didn't do it AGAIN - this time all over his sweet tempur-pedic doggy bed.   He was also whining, barking and acting not at all like the doggy we've had the past few weeks.   When I'd let him out of his pen, he'd start chewing on EVERYTHING.   Something is just really off with my boy.  

After a good cry, I realized that it is time for me to racially re-think what I've been doing.   You have all really helped me already to begin to understand that just being lovey-dovey and giving him lots of cuddles, toys and an orthopedic bed (ha!) are not enough.   His pen is too big - it's too small to be an area he can wander in but way too big for a crate.  My husband, who is absolutely the best man ever, went up to the attic and dug out the baby gates.   I went into the garage and got the crate we use when we dog sit for friends and gave it a good scrub.  It is HUGE, but we put it together and moved the inner wall so that Luca has enough room to get up, stretch and turn around.   I put some towels in it, along with the small doggy bed we have in his travel crate - no more orthopedic bed until we know he's not going to pee on it.  

We have an annoying open-concept home; however, we figured out how to gate off the entrances to the hallways/living room so that Luca can roam freely in the kitchen area (which is all hardwood) while we're going about our business.   It's too stressful for him and for us to follow him around the house keeping an eye on him every second.   This way he has freedom, but not too much.  When it's time to be in the crate, it's small enough to keep him from turning it into his personal master suite, complete with bathroom.  *weary laugh*  If he gets into Cujo mode, I can just step over the gate and let him do his thing without having to scramble for a couch cushion or bin lid to get between us.  

It's not punishment.  It's the same thing I did with our children.   I'd never let a toddler just roam around the entire house - that's not safe and it's why we have baby gates.  I'd never let a baby sleep in an open bed - that's why cribs were invented.  I'd also never allow a child to lash out and pummel me.   It's not out of anger, but out of love that I keep my children secure.   And it's out of love that I now see that I must do these same things for Luca.  <3

Now, that being said, Luca took right away to his crate.   I put a few treats in there, praised him for walking in and he immediately sniffed around, fluffed his towels and fell asleep.   I took him out for his last walk of the evening and he came right back in and went into his crate.   He's sleeping now...let's hope this honeymoon period in there lasts.  *crosses fingers*

• Like 6
Crinkly

Brilliant ideas. 

From his behaviour, he sounds just like a child/toddler who (in his pre-rescue life) has a history of too little discipline, to the point that he acts out for attention and then gets too harsh a reaction.  Our next door neighbours are bringing their 4 year old little boy up like this.  Breaks my heart.

How is Luca when the phone goes, or when you are talking to other people.  Does he start the ol' attention seeking?

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, gently introducing boundaries.  And once he knows what is expected, he will be much happier and more relaxed. :)

• Like 4

Crating is fine.  Not all dogs tolerate a crate well, but some of them absolutely adore them.  I think a crate is an especially good thing in a home with young kids.  It gives the dog somewhere safe and quiet and "his" to retreat to when necessary.

This is a total guess, of course, but I agree with Jo -- I think what you may be dealing with is a puppy who was separated from his mom and siblings too early and landed in a home with someone who had no clue about raising puppies, and he didn't get any consistent human direction.  As much as possible I'd try to stick to a routine -- regular meal times, regular walk times, etc.  Be very consistent with the rules (NILIF is great for enforcing rules and consistency).  IME what rescue dogs need more than coddling and attention is consistency.  Knowing what to expect makes them feel more secure.

• Like 4
Infamousmare

Luca seems relieved to have a crate, if that doesn't sound nuts.   He went right in and went to sleep last night with no problems.   He also seems happier with his el-cheapo small dog bed and towel.  :laugh:      It feels less overwhelming to all of us that he's blocked in the kitchen/eating area (which is large) - it's easier to keep an eye on him and he isn't frantically running from room to room sniffing and pawing everything.    Since Luca doesn't yet let us know when he has to potty, it's also easier to have him close to the back door instead of running around the house every hour when it's time to go out.   Perhaps since he's in this area and he's close to that door, he'll begin to give us signals by walking over to the door when he's ready to potty.  Baby steps...  :)

He had a nasty incident of lunging/biting/growling this morning.  He got all the way on the ground out of nowhere and then lunged at my shin.   I just stepped over the baby gate, turned my back and let him go at it.   He went nuts barking and growling at me, then gave up after about 30-45 seconds of me just ignoring him.   Then he came over and nudged me between the bars of the gate with his little flat nose.   I gave him my hand, he licked it and all was well.      Of course, I was a nervous wreck because we'd decided to take him to the groomer today (see photos in the other thread!) - even though they specialize in rescues and hard-to-work-with dogs, I wasn't sure.   He.  Loved.  It.   :clap:

We then ran in to PetSmart to pick up a few things and I ended up coming home with some calming spray.   I put a little onto his towel and a couple of his toys - now the entire house smells like pheremones (thank God dh is out of town - LOL!), but he has been super calm thus far.    We'll see how tonight goes.  

Lastly, I got him a water bottle for his crate.  I put a dab of Kong Easy Treat on it and Luca immediately figured out how to use it.   Good doggy!   I think this will help, as he HATES having his face wet.    Now I just have to work with him on continuing to wipe his little face each day.  

• Like 4
Missysmom

Oh so glad to hear Luca likes his new crate! Missy likes the small one too --- And just so you know, lil Missy got 2 other cheapo beds Before she got her ortho bed and she flat Refused to use that nice new pricey bed for months! ;)  But she sleeps in it every night now so whew $$ well spent after all!

Super glad he did well at the groomers too, that is Great news! :)

Sure hope he calms down soon, hoping that calming spray continues to work!  

• Like 3
PipsMom

Great news with the progress. I used Pet Remedy brand of spray on bedding, rugs, and a plug in diffuser that ran continuously with great results till mine calmed down....it's a true life saver ...mine smelt of bay leaf for some reason but we got use to it and no longer smelled it.

• Like 2
Marlene

I assume Luca is neutered?  The shelter did it before he was adopted?  Otherwise.........maybe his naughtiness is being caused by "raging" hormones?

• Like 2
Infamousmare

Marlene - yes, he is neutered.  :)

Today was better, but still a bit trying.   I feel like I'm manic!  *weary laugh*     Luca had a great morning, as you read in the other thread.  He was a perfect gentleman at the groomer and he actually seemed to like it!   Yay!    As said before, the gates and crate worked well today and Luca seems to have really taken to his water bottle.   However, he had 3 more episodes of the snarling/barking/growling/snapping thing (after this morning's episode I talked about earlier - so 4 episodes, total).  I watched like a hawk for signs...but I can't put it together.   The first time happened when dd tried to take him out for a potty break (she is patient and gentle with him and the potty breaks are in a target area of the yard - not long walks or anything).  She called, he ran over wagging, she asked him to sit (as we always do when we're putting on his harness) and then he went nuts barking at her, lunging and growling and nipping her ankles/hands.    The second time happened when he brought a toy to me and dropped it at my feet.  He did this and looked up at me, so I thought he wanted to play (he likes for us to toss toys for him to chase).  I reached down and, as I did, he snapped at my hand and then started in with the growling/barking/lunging at my legs.    The last time was the most puzzling.  He was lying in my lap and I was stroking his fur.  Out of nowhere, he reached around, nipped my hand and then flipped over and began the whole lunge/nip/bark/growl routine.  

I need help.   I have ordered a book written specifically for people who've adopted rescues and I'm going to pay for a phone consultation with the author to discuss what's going on.   Additionally, should I contact the Humane Society and let them know what's happening?       He was only with his foster for 1.5 weeks, during which time he was also shaved, neutered and then developed kennel cough, so he was a sick, frightened little doggy.   They only saw a doggy who slept most of the day and was super docile - do they need to know that things have changed?   And if so, what would they do?   I ask because my husband wondered if they should know what's going on, even if it's only to warn them to perhaps keep dogs as fosters a bit longer to test their temperaments...?     On the flip side, I'm afraid to tell them because I'm afraid they'll want to remove him.  

*Sigh*   He's such a sweet, smart little guy.   I know we're going to get through this...but I'm going to need a LOT of whiskey.   :crazyeyes: :laugh:

Edited by Infamousmare
  • Like 2