Luca's been aggressive...

Infamousmare

PipsMom

I'm letting out a sign of relief for you....Finally thanks to Vicki you have someone who can show you what needs to be done. Praying Day 1 is a peaceful one.

• Like 2
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Infamousmare

• Missysmom

• Marlene

• PipsMom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ahhh, okay, I have a few minutes to update.   The first part of the day was great.  The end of the day had me screaming "Calgon, take me away!" in my head as Luca bit my feet, my husband texted that h

Wonderful, amazing, experienced information in this thread.........

Okay...am on my way to pick up dh from the airport (I love Fridays!  He comes home!) and I don't have tons of time; however, I wanted to let you know we had a great day today.  Yes, Luca went into hi

Pawz4me

I looked at their website and it sure sounds like a great group.  I love that they use positive training.

And what she told you is absolutely right -- Dogs DO give signals.  It's just that the signals are often so subtle you have to be really, really familiar with canine body language to "see" them.  Sometimes it's something as slight as an ear twitch, a tail flick, a lip lick or a slight turning of the head.  It's one reason I always recommend an in person evaluation (if possible) for aggression issues.  I really like that she's wanting you to video him.

Regarding Shih Tzus not being food motivated -- I disagree with her just a bit.  IME it very much depends on the dog, regardless of breed.  The key is finding out what motivates any individual dog.  Sometimes people who think their dog isn't food motivated just haven't tried the right food(s), or they feed the dog so much or so often that it's never hungry enough to be food motivated.  Or It might be that for that particular dog praise, a Frisbee, tennis ball or squeaky toy are what that dog will work for.  For some dogs you even need to mix things up -- they won't work for the same reward all the time.

• Like 4
Missysmom

OH my goodness what a Blessing I was led to that article the other day. I am sooo glad they gave you such wonderful help! Your guardian angel has been working overtime sweetie! She's been visiting all of us and just happened to drop the link to that article in my lap! ;) 

Praying all continues on a healing path for all of you.

And Yes please share the link so your experience can help others here!

• Like 2
Infamousmare

Regarding Shih Tzus not being food motivated -- I disagree with her just a bit.  IME it very much depends on the dog, regardless of breed.  The key is finding out what motivates any individual dog.  Sometimes people who think their dog isn't food motivated just haven't tried the right food(s), or they feed the dog so much or so often that it's never hungry enough to be food motivated.  Or It might be that for that particular dog praise, a Frisbee, tennis ball or squeaky toy are what that dog will work for.  For some dogs you even need to mix things up -- they won't work for the same reward all the time.

You are right.  I'm sorry - I was posting when I was tired and had a million things going through my head and I don't think I worded that very well.  She said that in her experience, Shih Tzus aren't like, say, Labrador Retrievers or other super playful breeds that are generally super motivated by food rewards.   She was reassuring me that Luca's indifference to treats may stem partially from not knowing what different treats he does like, partially from maybe never being rewarded for behavior (total confusion) and/or mistrust and partially because he's part of a breed that's known for being a bit more, er, stubborn than other breeds.  *LOL*      I do know that Luca will sit and allow us to shower him with "Good Boy!!" and hugs/pats on the head/scratches behind the ear.   This, combined with treats he does like or other rewards will go far in helping us train him.    

Additionally, Luca often refuses to eat his meals.   We're working to figure out how much of that is stress/anxiety and how much is interest in what's being offered.   She reassured me that we will get to the bottom of this and that again, in her experience, food refusal isn't uncommon - and that there are certain breeds (Tzus included) who tend to show this behavior more than others.   

I didn't mean to make it sound as though all Shih Tzus are disinterested in food rewards or generally not motivated by treats.   :)

• Like 5
Sophie's Haven

007.thumb.JPG.ce0b82364f697d0cb8347a3c8a

This might help not only does it take away the pressure around the neck but it gives them security. Apparently when Bailey was a puppy he was given a baby size dog collar to wear and it was NEVER removed and he grew into it.........so he had to have surgery to have it removed and when we got him his quessed age was a year old. He wore that collar for close to a year........his scar is about 6 inches long just to give you an idea..........so when I got him I put him in a cloth harness or this vest type......the snugness of the vest seem to be his favorite as it is easy to put on and it did not bother his neck area. 

These come in different price ranges but I got mine at Wal-mart.......and it works fine.

You have only had Luca for a short time......patience and consistency is the layout for a rescue. It has taken Bailey a good 3 years to get where he is today and he still has issues. I think I mention we have to watch how we approach.....never from behind. He knows that I am not going to hurt him but he still cowards when I lean down to pet him.  Some of these paws do not get a good start in life some worse than others and it is sad that it still continues on to this day.  But it sounds like your headed in the right direction and we are all wishing you the best and believe me when I say you are going to have some frustrating days ahead but some bless rewarding ones too!!

• Like 5
Infamousmare

That is heartbreaking about the collar.  How painful and horrible!    

Luca wears a harness for walking, but it is thin, unpadded nylon and I think it rubs him.   I picked up one very much like the one Sophie'sHaven showed; however, I have to exchange it because it's so big that poor Luca can step right out of it.  *LOL*    I'm glad to know that I wasn't nuts in thinking his harness might be uncomfortable and that a softer, easier-to-step-into harness might be a bit better.      Like I said, the one he came with is thin, strappy and a total nightmare when you're tired/the lights are low/you have a jumpy dog that won't hold still.  :)

• Like 4
Infamousmare

Okay...am on my way to pick up dh from the airport (I love Fridays!  He comes home!) and I don't have tons of time; however, I wanted to let you know we had a great day today. 

Yes, Luca went into his nuts-o routine a couple of times today.   No, our day was not perfect.  However, I looked at him as an overstimulated child having a tantrum and not a dog going crazy and both of us reacted very differently!   I reached down from the side and scooped him up - he immediately stopped and calmed right down.    I have a long way to go to read his signals, but it's such a relief to know that he's not a bad doggy - he's a doggy who's misunderstood.   <3

I can't wait to give more positive reports!   :cheer:

• Like 6
Infamousmare

Ahhh, okay, I have a few minutes to update.   The first part of the day was great.  The end of the day had me screaming "Calgon, take me away!" in my head as Luca bit my feet, my husband texted that his flight was delayed and my 4-year-old sat in her room crying because she can't play with the doggy.   *weary laugh*

We're treating Luca in much the same way we did my son when he was deep in the throes of autism.   I'm keeping a super calm environment, watching his cues like a hawk, paying close attention to my own body language and rewarding positive behaviors like crazy.   Luca did so well this morning (and so did I!) but by the end of the day, he was stressed, overstimulated and just could not contain himself.   He stood in his "safe place" and barked, growled and nipped at the air for a good 10 minutes.   He'd then zoom around like a crazy man, flipping his stuffed toys around in a murderous rage (which is quite amusing to watch, but probably no fun if you're the stuffed toy).    He'd appear to calm, but if I dared step over that gate into his safe zone, he'd run at me and go for my feet with a vengeance.     After about an hour of this, he finally went and took a loooong drink from his water bottle and flopped down, exhausted.   

It's going to be a long road, but I think we can do this.   As long as I know what's expected of me, I think I can teach Luca what's expected of him.   :)

• Like 6