I have two shi tzus one 8 and othe is three, they have always slept with me and I need to change that! Not that I don't want them too but does cause some problems at times. I know this is my fault but I want to do this in a way that is easy on them and on me. They don't get free run of the house during the day and do have a bed. They stay in the kitchen while I'm at work during the day with Baby gate up and do very well till my truck hits the driveway. But I'm just excited to see them also! PLEASE HELP!!!

• Like 2
PipsMom

:welcomeani:First Welcome to our little Shih Tzu family 

At 8 and 3 their bedtime ritual of sleeping with you is going to be a rough transition for you and them.

You could begin slowly by letting them stay in the kitchen 30 mins before you take them to your room and gradually lengthen the time longer and longer till they fall asleep on their own in the kitchen. Good luck...I know mine would howl the house down being separated from me...the think they are kids and want to be with us 100% of the time.

• Like 2
Crinkly

Hi and welcome!

Ours have always slept in a pen in the corner of the bedroom.  Would that be an acceptable compromise to you?

i am (possibly) unusual in that i hate the idea of dogs being shut in different rooms overnight - although i totally understand that it is necessary for some people.

i once read something which has always felt 'right' to me.  The idea is that dogs bond with their pack with their sense of smell, and that means that the longer they spend with their pack, the stronger the pack bond.  

This was why we chose to have them where they can smell us at night.

if you decide to put them in a different room, they will make the adjustment much more easily if you make sure they have your scent around them.  Maybe the comforter from your bed, or the clothes you wore that day... Something that makes them feel like it is being with you.

Edited by Crinkly
  • Like 3
Sophie's Haven

Welcome to Chatter...........I guess I would do what Crystal suggest and wish you the BEST...........it is not going to be easy. Would you be happy with them in the same room with you? It might be a better transition if they are still in the same room with their own beds. I have 7 of which 6 sleep in the BIG bed and if I am really lucky I have 1 depending on her mood will sleep either in her bed or ours.  Our Sophie, Bailey, Allie and Lexie have slept in the BIG bed from day one and most of the time they are already in bed by the time we get there. It would be like pulling nails getting them to change their sleeping habit............wish you the best.

• Like 2
Missysmom

Welcome Jeremy, would love to see pics of Lexie & Sophie when you have a chance!

i too agree it will be very hard to break their routine and wish you the best in this transition. I agree with Crinkly that it will help a lot to have something with your scent on it, like a t-shirt or something, with them if they can't be with you. 

• Like 2

They all sound good ideas just good to know I'm not alone! Will start tonight and get back with progress I'm making! Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Like 3