Dahlia aka Dolly is hanging out

Marlene
We have a temporary foster - Dahlia aka Dolly is hanging out with us for 10 days while her foster Mama makes a business trip.
Dolly is described as an Italian Greyhound/Chihuahua mix.....and I think that is pretty accurate.  She looks like a Chihuahua on stilts.  She is aged at
10 and while I think that's pretty accurate from her appearance.....she is spunky and full of energy.
She was nasty and hateful when meeting my Sophie (Boxer) and Shorty G (Tzu)...but within a couple of hours we had that worked out.  Sophie SO wants to play with the new kid but Dolly says "NO!  You are too big."  She is more comfortable with Shorty - not playing but sitting on my lap together.
She is needy.....won't eat unless I feed her by hand and has not drank water since she's been here.  Her foster Mom told me about that and I am doing everything I can think of to get her to drink....but mainly putting a lot of fluid into the 3 meals a day I'm feeding (she's SO skinny).  But she seems happy and healthy, always excited to go for a walk, obsessed about food when anyone has some and completely content with a lap.
She is quiet in her crate until 8 AM and overall.....she is an easy keeper.
She just needs a special home that is quiet, playing with other dogs not needed......she loves her walkies and car rides, but most of all she loves yummy food and a lap.

Dahlia Ital Greyhound

Dahlia Ital Greyhound

Dahlia Ital Greyhound

Dahlia Ital Greyhound

• Like 8

Cutie pie!  Add a little chicken stock to that water and watch her go to town!

• Like 3
Marlene

Cutie pie!  Add a little chicken stock to that water and watch her go to town

Oh - tried that first thing......she seems to be afraid of the dish.  I've used tiny dishes filled up to the brim....I've tried holding it in front of her, I've tried putting it in a very shallow lid (like a Frisbee). I've tried "floating" her kibble in water (which works for my dogs when we're traveling and I can't get them to drink).  Maybe I will make some broth gelatin cubes for her to eat from my hand.........I hate to set her up for failure when she goes back to her foster Mom - there for about 2 weeks....or a new forever home but she needs fluid.

• Like 2
missy dawn

i can see chihuahua . precious baby!

Edited by missy dawn
  • Like 1
Infamousmare

She's so CUTE!   What a neat looking lady!

Gosh, I don't know what to do about the water situation.   Luca wouldn't drink from his water bottle until I smeared some of that Kong easy treat stuff onto the spout - then he went nuts.   However, if she's already got issues with food, that may not work for you.  :/

• Like 2
Marlene

Cutie pie!  Add a little chicken stock to that water and watch her go to town

Oh - tried that first thing......she seems to be afraid of the dish.  I've used tiny dishes filled up to the brim....I've tried holding it in front of her, I've tried putting it in a very shallow lid (like a Frisbee). I've tried "floating" her kibble in water (which works for my dogs when we're traveling and I can't get them to drink).  Maybe I will make some broth gelatin cubes for her to eat from my hand.........I hate to set her up for failure when she goes back to her foster Mom - there for about 2 weeks....or a new forever home but she needs fluid.

OK  -  that worked.  I made "Jello-Shots" with beef broth and Knox's gelatin. She greedily took them from my hand.

We are on water restriction here, in this part of California.  Last night was our night to water......there was some water in the gutters when I took her out this morning  -  it's the first time I've seen her drink.

I feel bad that I'm getting her used to eating and drinking from my hand.......but on the other hand I don't want to send her back to her Foster Mom after 10 days starved and dehydrated.

When I was a child my Mama and I took care of a Pomeranian - Patsy.  She was her Mama's spoiled "only child".  Her husband was a truck driver and for some reason she wanted to go on a week's trip with him as he drove a long haul truck.

We took care of Patsy, Mama and me.......she would not eat, would not drink and just paced constantly.  I think it was about 3 days later we took her, late at night, to a vet.....he gave her sub-Q fluids but she died at our home later that night.  I have vivid memories of fleas jumping off of her as soon as she died.  I had been learning to knit and we buried her in a metal bread box with my first attempt at a knitted blue square. This was probably 50+ years ago but I've never forgotten it.

Crinkly

Oh love, memories like that haunt you.

if she like drinking rainwater, she may dislike any chemicals or plastic taste from water supply or bowls.

how about trying a ceramic or glass bowl, outside.  Fill it and leave it for her to 'find'.

my cats have always preferred drinking rainwater, and take 'indoor' water as a second choice.

• Like 3
Summerangel

Oh love, memories like that haunt you.

if she like drinking rainwater, she may dislike any chemicals or plastic taste from water supply or bowls.

how about trying a ceramic or glass bowl, outside.  Fill it and leave it for her to 'find'.

my cats have always preferred drinking rainwater, and take 'indoor' water as a second choice.

Awwwwww Bless.... 

That's a good point about rain water 

• Like 1