Aggressive Shih Tzu

Guest Londoner

PLEASE can you help me.  I have a seven month old Shih Tzu bitch.  When I take her our for a walk on her lead, she picks up anything and everything in site along the street, i.e. paper, plastic tops, pieces of plastic or glass, tissues, etc.  When I try to prize them out of her mouth (I'm frightened she'll cut her mouth, or swallow the plastic etc.), she snarls at me, bares her teeth aggressively and goes to bite me !

Her behaviour is unacceptable and although she's only a puppy, she could give a VERY nasty bite.  I adore this little dog, apart from this aggression.

I DESPERATELY NEED ADVISE.......

• Like 2
Pawz4me

A simple, immediate way to deal with this is to carry along some biscuits or yummy treats (bits of chicken, steak or hot dog) and when she picks up something she shouldn't you offer her a biscuit or treat and "trade" for the nasty item.  Most of the time the dog will drop the forbidden item to take the treat.  And if that happens you praise lavishly.

At the same time I would be working on a solid "leave it" command.  You can Google to find tips for teaching that.  It can be a lifesaving thing for a dog to know.

I'd also be working on lots of obedience commands in a fun and upbeat way.  The more she understands that she should do what you tell her the better your relationship will be overall.

It also helps to always keep looking ahead so that you can just take an extra step or two in another direction to keep away from stuff.

• Like 4
PipsMom

:welcomeani: Londoner 

Pawz gave excellent advice about the trading for a treat also use a short lead so you control the head in a more upright position not allowing her to pick up trash to start with...when she strains to lower the head to go after something command a sharpe no...pull the head back up....then treat when she looks up at you. ......My command is "walk on"...that's all I have to say now and without a treat......It will take many times but she will soon learn with consistency each and every time.

Now is a good time to introduce the no bite command also...She can't get away with that anymore or she may bite someone later on in life.

• Like 3
Missysmom

Welcome Londoner and puppy, glad you've joined us! What's your puppy's name? When you get a chance please post her picture, can't wait to see and hear more about her.

I agree with Pawzs and Crystal, the 'drop it' and/or 'leave it' command is critical as is the 'no bite'. It took a little while but Missy now totally understands and does these. If it's actually in her mouth I do the 'drop it' but if she's still just sniffing it or something on the street I use 'leave it'.  We get Lots of practice with all those commands but at least it's drilled in her! :) 

Best wishes and hopefully you'll see a turn around soon. Please keep us posted.

• Like 4

I want to say "thank you" SOOOO very much.  Your advise on here sounds excellent and I will 100% give it a try.  You make a lot of sense.  

I absolutely adore our little Lucy, but also must take a little blame too, in as much as, we've spoilt her.  She probably wants her own way, but both hubby and myself need to let Lucy know that she'n not "number one" in the house.....or, on walks.

She has a lot to learn and I guess, so do we.  

I've just cooked some sausages (which she absolutely loves) and I'll cut them up small to use them for extra nice treats for her when I take her on her next walk.   

Also needing to work on her lead training....also her "currently non-existent recall.  A lot to cover, so I will certainly take all the advise offered on here.  Again thank you so much.

I will keep you "up to snuff" on my our hopeful progress.

• Like 3
Crinkly

The recall is actually surprisingly easy - you just have to have the right motivation - and those sausages are ideal.

We taught ours to play Ping Pong.  And it works just as well inside the house as outside.

The basic idea is that you Ping Pong your puppy backwards and forwards between you and your partner, giving a treat every time they come to their name.

Once they learn to do that, you can add all sorts of exciting and fun variations - hiding behind trees and bushes, making them sit before they get the treat, moving to a new spot, and getting them to 'find' you.

The dogs love it.  And it wears them out, beautifully.  On a wet rainy day, a few rounds of Ping Pong is almost the equivalent of a walk.

:)

• Like 3
Missysmom

Love your ping pong idea Jo! Will have to give that a try, Missy still thinks 'come' is an optional command- I generally get the 'yeah mom in a minute, I'm busy right now' look! ;) 

• Like 2
Crinkly

Once you find the magic motivation (a delicious treat) you will be amazed how well it goes.

and seeing their delighted little face as they stampede towards you is wonderful.

:cheezy:

If we are playing in the house, i sit in the front room (on the sofa) and Mr C sits in the kitchen.  They charge the length of the kitchen, scramble through the dining room, skid through the hall in a tight racing curve and screech to a halt in front of the sofa. Sit.  Receive a tiny fragment of treat, then go 0-60 in 3 seconds as they head back through to the kitchen treat dispensor. Lol.

Although it is best done outside, with plenty of trees and undergrowth to hide in.

They are so proud of themselves when they find you!

• Like 3
Marlene

Is that the only time she's aggressive......when she finds a "treasure" she wants?  How is she around her food bowl and giving up toys/treats in the house?

One of the very first things I do when bringing in a new puppy or a foster dog is to feed them by hand  -  I am the "queen of the food  -  I give it and I take it away".

• Like 4
Crinkly
6 hours ago, Missysmom said:

Love your ping pong idea Jo! Will have to give that a try, Missy still thinks 'come' is an optional command- I generally get the 'yeah mom in a minute, I'm busy right now' look! ;) 

It works even better when 'last one to arrive doesn't get a treat'

:roflmao:

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎50‎:‎20‎, Crinkly said:

The recall is actually surprisingly easy - you just have to have the right motivation - and those sausages are ideal.

We taught ours to play Ping Pong.  And it works just as well inside the house as outside.

The basic idea is that you Ping Pong your puppy backwards and forwards between you and your partner, giving a treat every time they come to their name.

Once they learn to do that, you can add all sorts of exciting and fun variations - hiding behind trees and bushes, making them sit before they get the treat, moving to a new spot, and getting them to 'find' you.

The dogs love it.  And it wears them out, beautifully.  On a wet rainy day, a few rounds of Ping Pong is almost the equivalent of a walk.

:)

We taught ours to play Ping Pong also.........does not matter the age either our Missy who is 12 is right there with the others when her name is called. We do it a lot in the colder months when the paws are house bound and the weather is nice for them to go outside.......our Ping Pong  expands to about 30 feet.......so they get their exercise. If my guys have not been out for awhile when you open the door it is like 7 paws were shot out of a cannon.........having pocket treats helps getting them back in line for their walk.

• Like 3

Hello Marlene.....yes, that's the only time that Lucy gets aggressive.  I tried "replacing" the "treasure" for a treat and have to say IT WORKED !!!!!!  I was sooooo happy !

Next project......thank you regarding the "ping pong" game.  I've actually cooked off some sausages for treats, so this will be my next project when hubby and me take Lucy the local fields to play.  Hopefully, she will learn her recall using this kind of method.

Now I have another problem (have quite a few issues with Lucy !)..........how do I discourage her from barking all the time.  When she's in the house, if she sees anyone walk by...she barks !  If she sees another dog being taken on a walk past our front garden...she barks !  If she sees a cat....she barks !  If she's in the car and she sees people walking along the road....she barks !  If she hears a noise when in the house....she barks !

Do you have any suggestions to help with this barking problem ?

I have a couple more "problems" to sort out with Lucy, so am REALLY SO GRATEFUL for your advise on here.  Hope you'll let me share them with you one at a time ?

• Like 4
PipsMom

Both mine do the same thing.....constantly on guard to bark at anything and anyone that dares to walk on Their Street!!!

I tell the hubby all the time they are our sentry alarm and it's the breed.....he tries to compare my two with all the other dogs he's owned in his life.....I try remind him that this breed is not comparable to any other breed for they are different in all ways....but he's not amused LOL

But they have learned to cut it out once they learned the command ....No Bark.....which was a nightmare to teach a motor mouth barker. :roflmao:

• Like 1
Sophie's Haven

Sounds like Lucy is a normal Shih Tzu she just needs to follow the rules of the house. In my house since I am around the paws more than the hubby I am the BOSS and he comes in as the second BOSS but he has to follow what I do or it confuses them...........so with 7 in the house barking can be an issue if I allow one to do it and I have 4 that are barkers.........Allie, Lucy, Winnie and Bailey...........a firm word of QUIET does the trick........does not happen overnight but it works. Keep your commands to one or two words and have a stern voice so she knows it is your unhappy voice.

• Like 2

Sounds like I have a very typical Shih Tzu then !!!!! LOL  She is SOOOO stubborn and has a mind of her own, which I understand is a Shih Yzu trait ?  My hubby is the same, he compares Lucy to other dogs that we've had, but I can confidently say, "Lucy is a one off breed" ! LOL  He's besotted with her though and adores that little "hairy monster".

I'll try limiting the "stop barking" command to one word only....anything is worth a try !   When hubby is having his afternoon nap, Lucy always manages to see or hear something to get her barking .  Then I have Lucy AND hubby to contend with. LOL   Right....now let's give the one word command a go, before I ask you all advise on my next problem.  

Just noticed Jeanie ("Sophie's Haven") that you're in East Tennessee.  Tn. is this English lady's favourite state and also, favourite holiday destination of all time.  Been blessed to have been to many places in the world, but Tn. is tops  for me !  Have a friend in Lewisburg, fifty miles south of Nashville in Marshall County.  

Well, here goes once again with our little Lucy........

• Like 3
Missysmom

We have a dickens of a time with Missy barking too. We have a lot of wild animals, deer, fox, etc, that come through our yard and of course she guards the window on lookout to bark at all of them.

We try using 'quiet' for our command but of course have limited success- we get the 'What don't you see that creature out there in My yard  - you crazy people!' look! The best success I've had is in that split second that she's Not barking saying 'good quiet' and giving her a treat, I get a pinch more of quiet with that! ;) 

• Like 2
Sophie's Haven

One thing you might want to try and do is have Lucy take a nap with the hubby.......anytime one of us lay down for a nap (not me I have to be near death) all the paws  will climb up and lay down with us........all is quiet with the world for a while. If this something your hubby does on a daily basic Lucy will get use to the routine and over time will be waiting for the hubby to take his nap.  In our house as soon as the hubby sits in the recliner before he gets comfy he has three already in his lap........

When you were in Tennessee you missed the prettiest part of the state.........I am 40 minutes west of the Smokey Mountains and 2 hours away from the Big South Fork two places that I would recommend visiting if you are ever in this part of the state.....plus you could come and visit me also.......I live between Knoxville and Chattanooga Tn.

• Like 3
Crinkly

The best solution to my two being barky is exercise.  There is a definite Yap-O-Meter which works directly in proportion to the amount of exercise they have had.

But of course, they are adult, and you shouldn't over exercise puppies. :)

This is how it works for my two:

2-3 miles that day - blissful peace and tranquility and utterly contented dogs

1 mile - still slightly restless, a teensy bit bored, bark at door, but not passers by

1/2 mile - very restless.  Bored.  Bark at door, passers by, birds in garden.  Likes a good chew toy

no walk - fractious, destructive, fidgety, bark at door, fish tank, birds, TV, car doors closing, vacuum cleaner, will chew anything.

• Like 4

Crinkly, I do so agree with you regarding the exercise .....if I can tire Lucy out, then she's much better and quieter.  But 2-3 miles a day....heck, I'm not that energetic ! LOL  I take Lucy for a walk around the village here for about 25 minutes to half an hour.  Yes, she would like to go more, but pool "mum" has had enough by then (my other problem, is her walking all over the place when on her lead !)  It's never a real pleasure walking her, because SHE takes ME !  She has the lead in her mouth most of the time and just jumps all over the place.  I try giving her treats and saying "heal", but as soon as she's eaten the treat (seconds), she's jumping about again !  I get such a bad back too, keep bending down to give her the treats.  Oh goodness....I wish I could just wave a wand and have her "magiced" into obedience ! LOL, LOL

I know just what you mean too Missysmum.  Lucy thinks the whole road belongs to her and also that nobody should walk past HER house and HER front garden.  Even when in the car, she loves to let everyone know that she's in charge.  We've started to try the one word command every time she barks, so wish me luck on that one too, eh. lol

Sophie'sHaven...hubby wouldn't mind Lucy going to bed with him at all.  It's me that tries to "draw the line".  We've spoilt Lucy SOOOO much and now she's a little Prima Donna,  wanting our attention ALL of her waking hours to play with her, otherwise, she seems to get bored.  When we watch t.v. of an evening, she wants to be on our lap, or else play.

Really, it's US who needs training ! LOL  We seem to have created a lot of our own problems.

Going "off track" Jeannine....yes I know there must be some absolutely beautiful parts of Tn. that we still need to see.  Been to the Smokys a couple of times now, also to Chattanooga and briefly to Knoxville.  Loved The Natchez Trace too.  Not heard of Big South Fork ?  Long overdue for another visit to Tn., as we haven't been there for three or four years now,  so who know, maybe we will hopefully meet up there one day.

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

One suggestion with her lead..........have her wear a short one around the house......let it drag (had to do it with a couple of mine) and within a few days she should come to accept it as part of her routine...........when you take her for walks don't allow her to get ahead of you.......make her walk next to you (shorten her lead) and when she accepts that then give her more lead a bit at time.  Let me tell you there are some days I think these paws have me trained very well and talk about paws that are spoiled....... my 7 remind me of that everyday................

• Like 2
ParadiseTzu

Barking!!! Willie is a barker deluxe model! Willie cant speak english words so he barks to 'talk' to me. He barks to tell me when it is time to eat, when he wants to go outside to play (because until time change, cooler weather, we were taking him out to run his laps same time each evening, not going every day now), when something is placed where it wasnt before, you get the picture. I dont try to break him of it, its just the way he is. It would drive some crazy I know. Sassy Mae is my alert dog, Willie just stands behind her (not barking) waiting to see what its all about. 

• Like 3