Crate AND containment pen

live2trainmore

Hi, I want to get feedback on using a crate in conjunction with a containment pen. First let me say I am a huge proponent of crating. My first Shih Tzu, Sadie, was trained with a crate and she loved it. I'm getting my new shih tzu puppy in a week and still working through how I want to leave her during the day. When Sadie was trained several people were home during the day so she didn't need to be crate confined other than at night. Now I work M/W/F and leave at 6:15 am returning at 3:15...all kids are at college. I'm considering two different options for the work day.

#1) Crate at night and leaving her in a large containment pen in my large master bathroom with water, crate and pee pads and a second crate.

#2) Crate her at night, take her outside a few times before I leave and crate her again for the work day. I'll then have someone come in to let her out mid morning and again early afternoon before I get home at 3:15.

#1 is attractive because she wont be in the crate so long and it cost less $.

#2 is attractive because my ultimate goal is to NOT use pee pads and have her go outside. I'm also afraid combining both the crating and containment pen methods would create choices and prolong success with crating. That being said, I'm afraid this is just too much time in a crate.

Feedback appreciated!!

• Like 3
Crinkly

how old is she?

All night, then 9 hours during the day is a long time to leave a dog, let alone a wee pup.

is there a way you could start off with her in the crate/pen combo plus visitors, and then slowly wean her onto longer time on her own in the pen?

I absolutely agree that keeping her crated all day is too long.

My two get crated if we are out during the day (we are very lucky to be in a position where they never get left for more than 3-4 hours at a time, since I work partly from home, and Mr C does shifts).  And at night they sleep together, in a pen in the corner of the bedroom, so they have our scents and sounds around them all night, and they have each other 24/7, because their crates are side by side.

Both have been excellent with the bladder control from very early age - I think we have only had a few wet pee pads, although they are always there, in the corner of the pen if needed.  We had more issues with widdling on the living room carpet, rather than in the pen and crate!  lol.

• Like 4
live2trainmore

She'll be just shy of 10 weeks when I get her. I decided against just using a crate...way too long. I just ordered a large size containment pen that she can roam around in. I also plan to have someone stop by to take her out and play with her on my work days. 

On a different note...what are your thoughts on food and water in the containment pen? I would like to get her on a feeding schedule twice a day with the first feeding in the am before I leave and the second at dinner time when we eat. I would prefer to not have her food in the containment pen so that a feeding/potty schedule is established. I'm not so worried about food; they'll eat if they get hungry enough. I'm not so sure about holding water for a feeding schedule though...doesn't sound right. 

• Like 2
Pawz4me

A ten week old Shih Tzu puppy needs to be fed frequently.  I would aim for four small meals.  As she gets older you can slowly reduce the number of meals until she's just getting two.  But can't do that for a young puppy.  They're just like human babies--they need frequent feedings.  I don't believe in ever withholding water, or at least not for more than a couple of hours (when crating, etc.) or when it's necessary for a medical procedure.  I think it's unhealthy in general, and I've known some dogs who had water withheld who started gorging when it was available.

• Like 4
Crinkly

Yes, four meals for the first few months.

Then my two naturally dropped themselves to 3 meals in their own time (around 5 months, I think, but it could have been later).

I think they advise keeping the 3 meals going until they are about 10 months old, but it probably depends on the dog.  Cato stopped growing (upwards) at 7 months and Tara kept growing til the 10 months, I think.  So it must depend a lot on how much food they need for the growth spurts.

We have water available 24/7, and I consider that a necessity.

• Like 5
live2trainmore

Agreed with the food...I threw that out there because my Sadie was a very picky eater from the start. As a pup I could barely get her to eat once a day at the beginning. She eventually settled on twice a day, but it was never at an established time. I did notice she would eat once a day and then 3 times the next day. I hoping my new pup is an eater. I had a fair amount of success training Sadie, but I want to learn from my mistakes and do a better job with this one. 

Thanks for all of the advice...much apprciated!

• Like 3
Crinkly

we are going to need pics, you know :cheezy:

it is part of the deal.  we chunter. you post pics.  it's in the forum rules somewhere.  the invisible ones. :roflmao:

• Like 5
live2trainmore

Pic of Sadie...RIP had to put her down last Thursday. I get my new pup the Friday after Thanksgiving. I think her name is going to Ruby. Still very sad and 

beyond excited at the same time.

IMG_0001.JPG

• Like 4
Crinkly

Lovely Sadie!

So sorry you have lost her.  Nothing ever replaces them, but Ruby (love the name!) will be a whole new bundle of love - completely different, but just as lovely.  :kiss1[1]:

• Like 3
Missysmom

Am so sorry to hear you lost Sadie, she's gorgeous. My heart goes out to you, that is such a hard thing to have to go through. Hugs

But am very excited to see and hear all about Ruby when you get her.

• Like 4
live2trainmore

Sooo....I just spoke to the breeder and my new puppy, along with her liter mates, have been in a one of those pens that have a screen on the bottom. Their has been no exposure to a crate and no potty training. Is this a generalized norm from breeders or do some prepare the pups a little more so the transition to their new home is smooth?

• Like 1

So sorry to hear about Sadie.  As for potty training...it is literally impossible to train an entire litter (and I have 30 years experience, so I know).  We also have puppy pens with the epoxy-covered grid floors and they learn very quickly to leave their bed & play area and go onto the grid to potty...which is the first step in potty training.  Several of our Chatter members have puppies from us and all have said their puppies trained quickly, so I don't think you have a lot to worry about.  One thing to remember:  young puppies need to "go"  frequently.  We don't allow ours to leave for new homes until they are 12 weeks old, and at that point they can still only "hold it" for 20-30 minutes.  The times between needing to eliminate will steadily increase as the puppy gets older.

• Like 4