Night time crate training

live2trainmore

Looking for input please...my new almost 10 week old pup, Ruby, is adapting to the crate at night. She now goes in without incident and can last 3-4 hours before she cries to get out. After that the problems start. She reluctantly goes in and cries a little which I ignore. Then after 60-90 minutes later she wants out again. I have been indulging this but she doesn't have to pee...SHE WANTS TO PLAY. We of course don't play and go right back in immediately. I think this is like a newborn baby. The habit gets established and they are waking up/wanting out not because they have to pee but because it's the habit. Should I let her out strictly by time? Lets say after her first 3-4 hours and then every 3 hours after that?

IMG_1524.JPG

• Like 3
Crinkly

How can you resist that little face?

i kept (keep) mine in a pen at night in a corner of the bedroom.  Bed area, wee pad, toys, chews and a water bowl.

they both went all night without trips outside, from the first day - but that is what they were used to from the breeder.  We had a few pees and poos in the early days, but they learned to last all night surprisingly early.

we do get woken about every 2 or 3 months, and have learned to take that seriously, because it usually means diarrhoea. 

So i guess i am saying that firstly it is about what they are used to, and secondly does she have toys to entertain her, if she wakes and if you ignore her?

• Like 3
Missysmom

Love the pic of Ruby, what a sweetie she is!

sounds like Ruby is doing really well to sleep that long, I was surprised to read she slept 3-4 hours straight, yay Ruby!  

You may want to start teaching her a bedtime command, never to early for that! Missy knows 'night night' and when she gets up at night now I tell her 'night night' again and usually she'll go back to bed. If she keeps going to the door I know it's for real and we go out! Then when we come back in I tell her 'night night' again and back to bed she goes for the rest of the night.

If nothing else it will come in handy down the road as Ruby gets older, trust me getting up in the night to play hasn't gone away with age here anyway! ;) 

• Like 2

We normally say "X" hours in the crate...straight to the potty spot...half an hour of playtime...back in the crate.  Repeat.  When they cry in-between I ignore them: they get out on my schedule, not theirs.

• Like 2
Sophie's Haven

I don't crate but some good advice given..........but Ruby is adorable. My guys are in a routine that when it is bedtime that is it for the night......we have actually been staying up later this past week and they tell us TIME FOR BED........if my guys get up at night they know to go in the bathroom to use the potty pad........95% of the time I don't hear from them until around 7am.............

• Like 2
Scout's Mom

Ruby is adorable!!  My dog was on a schedule and she was pretty good about not doing too much "fussing" in between during the night.  So long as I knew she was okay, I just let her stay in the crate when she whined and she quickly learned that she might as well be quiet and go to sleep.:cheezy:

• Like 2