Tiny Tim

Marlene

So I drove 6 hours today to pick up a gorgeous big male Boxer.  He was in southern California but had a family waiting for him in Northern CA.

The drive went fine, lots of traffic though on the day after Christmas.  I brought him to the meet and greet to a very nice couple that had had Boxers before (which is ALWAYS a good thing).  The adoption went off very well and it sounds like "happily ever after" for that one.

Meanwhile one of the other volunteers pulled me aside......"Y wants to talk to you".  I thought "now what did I do this time"?  Turns out she was making a run to a shelter to check on a couple of dogs being held for us through Christmas.  When what to her wondering eyes should appear but a beautiful but emaciated fawn male that wasn't on our radar.  She has a dog getting over distemper at her house so "there was no room at the Inn.........."

She knows bringing starved dogs back to health is what I love to do most.....it is SO gratifying to watch them bloom.  So, what could I do but risk being beaten by my husband and agree to bring him home.  I named him Timothy......Tiny Tim because he is so small........and it's Christmas time.

Keep your fingers crossed he is quickly adopted cuz the Big Guy is not exactly thrilled with me.

Timothy.jpg

• Like 9
Missysmom

OMG look at Those Eyes, how could anyone say no to him?! He's Adorable, looks like a total love bug! Keeping you and Tiny Tim in my prayers. 

• Like 6
Marlene

Well......he is feeling better.  He had a snotty nose with green discharge.  But just like yourself, resting, eating, staying warm, relaxing, usually helps heal  -  at least it does for me.  

He is, of course, starving - I'm feeding him small amts 4 times a day.  So far no trouble with tummy.  This morning I fed him by hand as there was some question he was food aggressive but he eagerly but gently took each bite.  Found out tonight he is a counter cruiser to the extent I will have to worry about the stove being on  -  he was paws and nose up on the counter and the stove right in front of me, will keep him babygated in the den when I cook.  Hopefully that will lessen when his body feels less starved.

When we go for short potty walks around the neighborhood, he is trying to look into every parked car and go towards the door of every house.  He is constantly looking around like he's looking for someone/something.  I think he's looking for his family.

He is not interacting with my dogs.  Sophie, my Boxer wants to play but he ignores her.  He gets growly when on my lap and one of my dogs approaches.  We won't have that and he has to get down when he shows that "ownership".  It's not unusual, most new foster dogs want to keep their new found Mom/Dad all for themselves.

He seems to be a well taken care of dog.....no scars or flybites, clean ears, nice fur though he has a lot of tartar on his teeth and yet his body seems quite young.......His feet have some dings and scabs.  He may have been dumped in the boonies somewhere before being picked up as a stray.  It's so hard to know any of the past of shelter dogs.  He doesn't seem to know any commands but responds quickly to me when I correct or call him.   Gave him a bath without incident.

He is much more relaxed (than yesterday) yet hyper aware of what's going on around him.  All in all he's a pretty good boy but I am not yet sure of his behavior with other dogs especially where there is food involved.

• Like 5
Summerangel

If any one knows how to care for and bring a stray back to full health... It's you. 

Im so pleased he's with you, he will get all the guideness and love to steer him in the right direction. 

Welcome to Chatter Tiny Tim ? 

Ive got a feeling your name will change soon.. Because you're going to be a big strong boy... 

• Like 5
Missysmom

Aw bless his heart. It always amazes me how they still love and look for their ex-family even when they were mistreated, what amazing love they have. I'm so glad he's taking food well and know he's well on his way now that he found you. Bless you for all you do Marlene. Give Tiny Tim a great big hug from me! :throb:

• Like 2