Potty Training: Am I doing it correctly?

Hello everyone,

I have just recently joined the Chatter Tzu. My furkid's name is MooMoo. He was born in Sept, 22nd. We live in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Momo just joined our family just over 2 weeks. My parents have dogs and puppies al the time during the time I was grow up so I am familiar with canine.

However, my parents never took potty training seriously as they live in a rather large house and have maids (it is common to have maids). But it is different now for me. So we decided to train MooMoo the 'business'. So, far we have been succesfu to execute potty train outside in the garden for the morning session. As soon as I take him outside in the morning he will do his business, but fail for the afternoon/evening which we would like to have MooMoo do the business using pad and gradually the litter box.

As would others suggested, we resorted to Youtube channels to learn about the behaviour of our puppy and methods to train him.

We came across the 'apartment' method using 'apartment crate' but there is no such product available in our town (see pic below):

2e3btjr.jpg

So we decided to make our own set up like below:

2s8g1a0.jpg

The thinking behind it:

1. MooMoo will have dinner around 7PM. Both food and drink will be taken around 8.30PM. I have learned to take away the drink before goes to sleep. so no drink inside the pen.

2. We do not use crate but pen which is 'big enough' to leave space for sleep and for the pad without restricting like a crate would do.

The result in the past two days of doing this:

1. MooMoo does not use the pad or even pee around the area despite of drinking water and eat dinner before sleep. The period of sleep is approx 7-8 hours. MooMoo barely cries or bark during the night - I play him soothing music for dog from Youtube - I don't know if this is the reason for his sound sleep.

I am worry that he is holding his bladder during the night wait until morning which is not healthy for longer period of time.

2. I use pad sheet which use for baby. The one specially made for puppies are very hard to come by in Jakarta. In my opinion these pads as long as they do the job is fine. However, I maybe wrong. I have a question linger in my mind if the pad made specifically for puppies has a certain scent to invite them to us it? Or is it just plain normal absorbent, non leaking pad? I have never seen one made specifically for puppies.

So far that is what has happening in our effort to potty train our MooMoo.

Any advise is much appreciated and thank you in advance for any feedback given.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 4
Pawz4me

Some of the ones here in the U.S. do supposedly have a special scent built in to attract the puppy.

One thing you can do is use one of the pads to soak up just a bit of the urine when he has an accident.  So you make a pad that has a bit of his urine scent on it, and then leave that one down.

Do you know how much training and what kind his previous owner did?

But I wouldn't worry about him holding his bladder at night.  He's about four months old, right?  So at this point he should be gaining some bladder and bowel control, and it's instinctual for dogs to not urinate/defecate where they sleep.  So it's a good thing.

• Like 4
Missysmom

In my experience the pre scented ones don't work at least for Missy she wants her scent. I totally agree with Pawz to soak up some where MooMoo has gone.

Interesting question on the poo. I don't know the answer because Missy refuses to poo on the pad (she'll only pee on the pad) and we had to get her a grass box where she does her poo. But yes she does smell it first so I am thinking she's looking for her poo scent there too.

Super job on MooMoo's pen and getting him to sleep through the nite!! Sounds like you're doing Great so far!! :clap:

• Like 3

Pawz4me: The one in the pic - Yogi, Simon or Tipper? He's so cute. I made an accident! I took MooMoo to a local vet who also has grooming service. MooMoo came back with his 'mustache' <- is this a correct way to say it -- all trimmed off. So he looks like a 'poodle'. I nearly cried over the accident. Should've trimmed like your furkids.

Missymom: I have read that artificial grass is difficult to clean especially with poo. How do you manage in cleaning if this is the real case? Missy is cute!!!! I am waiting for MooMoo to have his top fur curled (?) <- is this correct?

• Like 4
PipsMom

Both mine do both on the pads...plain, no scent.

If it's a good brand the wee doesnt soak through, if it does ....lay a layer of newspaper underneath to soak up any excess.

Poo in normal consistency is a firm lump, doesn't soak through and you pick the poo up right away and flush it down the toilet....otherwise MooMoo might start the nasty habit of eating it. Yuck.

Ive never had runny poo soak through the pad....not enough moisture even if it's dirrehea. It's picked up fast enough anyway so you won't have problems there.

4 minutes ago, Boss Mumu said:

am waiting for MooMoo to have his top fur curled (?) <- is this correct?

Lost in translation...what does it mean? Top fur Curled???? Can you explain further? Please :cheezy:

• Like 2
PipsMom

Top Knot??? Small pony tail of hair banded up to keep it out of the eyes?

The black and white picture of mine is female, she's in a tiny top knot...her hair isn't thick.

The white and gold picture is my male Pip...I trim his head to be neat and short, no top knot. Just my personal choice.

• Like 2
Missysmom
5 minutes ago, Boss Mumu said:

Missymom: I have read that artificial grass is difficult to clean especially with poo. How do you manage in cleaning if this is the real case? Missy is cute!!!! I am waiting for MooMoo to have his top fur curled (?) <- is this correct?

Aww thanks so much, it took Missy a long time to grow her topknot hair, her hair just grows real slow! Hopefully it won't be as long for MooMoo, just don't let the groomer cut it there!! Before I started grooming Missy myself the groomer would always cut it (even though I asked not to) so it took even longer!

Usually the grass pad isn't hard to clean as I can just pick up the poo (like Crystal (Pipsmom) said) but on the occasion it does leave a mess I just rinse it off with the hose and use one of those hard brissel brushes. They also have a cleaner over here that you can buy to clean these but I'm sure any doggie safe cleaner would work. I'm actually going to move to another cleaner once this bottle is gone since I don't like it much.

I really wish Missy would just use the pads for both her jobs but she's pretty adamant about this so we just gave in! ;) 

• Like 2
PipsMom

You stay around us long enough and you'll learn everything Shih Tzu....what it's called and how to care for them...Your never alone raising MooMoo as long as you got your Shih Tzu family helping you.

Get the kids involved helping too ....write down their questions and we'll answer...That way the kids will really get interested and learn everything about Shih Tzu care and responsibility for them 

• Like 2
Missysmom
54 minutes ago, Boss Mumu said:

Missysmom: How do you know that Missy wants/prefers the artificial grass? Did you just try few options?

Yes we tried the pads and she refused to use them (except for pee) and had accidents doing her poo wherever except Not on the pad! So then we got the grass box, actually thinking she'd use that for both and we could get rid of the pads but nope. Pee on pee pads and poo on the grass box for this picky little one! But at least we broke the code! ;) 

• Like 2
Sophie's Haven

Are you going to train MooMoo to potty outside over time?  With my 7 I have pads in the house and a area on our porch with artificial grass in case of bad weather plus they have a dog run to do there business. Even with having the pads in the house 90% of the time potty business is done outside. Now on occasions and I have no idea why but I have 2 Shih Tzu's that show their ugly side and will squat in front of me and pee..........it is usually during a Full Moon. Potty training can happen quickly or takes months. Patience...............

• Like 3
Pawz4me

Boss -- My Shih Tzu is Yogi.  Simon and Tipper are cats.

As far as poo on the pad -- I don't know?  If you could get just a small smear on one it wouldn't hurt.  But my guess is that if the urine is there he'll know it's okay to do either on the pad.  But like some of the others have said, every dog can have their own preferences.  Overall it sounds like MooMoo is doing very well!!

• Like 4

PipsMom: Thank you for the support. Thank you for the wonderful ideas on getting the boys to write down their questions. Will post soon.

MissyMom: I will wait for this week the effectiveness of pad. See what happens. As for the artificial grass there are plenty in the hardware store in town. So that will be sorted out if pads fail.

Sophie: Maybe it is a wishful thinking to train both. At the moment the morning potty session has been succesful. We have front garden with grass. Every morning after wakes up I will get MooMoo outside and he will do his business. The first time it takes me 15 minutes to wait for him to do it (seems like forever) and now seems like automatically. As soon as we go out in the garden, I have a an orange scoop with me, and pointed to the grass and say " Go Potty" and he will start sniffing around and squat. So far never gets more that 5 minutes. For pee we give MooMoo 1 piece of treat and for poopy we give 2!!

• Like 4
ParadiseTzu

You are doing great with MooMoo! It seems he understands he is supposed to potty when you take him out and say Go Potty. I have trained mine to potty outside and have never used inside pads. I set up a schedule for their first year and when they are awake, take them out every 20 minutes.  Then they come back in for some free time. Then they take their naps in their crate. My female was trained very quickly, my little male was about 10 months old before he got it. He just turned a year old and now has free run in the house.

• Like 2

Hey everyone, sorry I have been inactive in the past few days.

Just want to share, the last few days was a success. As usual the morning routine done quickly. Wake up around 6.00 AM and went outside with my 'signature' orange scoop. Everytime MooMoo sees the orange scoop, he knows that it has to do with his routine

This is the 'signature' orange scoop :dog:

rvbtie.jpg

So a couple nights ago, I had the privilege to get home slightly early. There MooMoo welcome me at home. I asked everyone at home if MooMoo has gone outside and apparently not yet. Then, I get my shovel and the biscuits treat. MooMoo get excited. I was in doubt that he understood that this is a new routine similar like morning.

I took him outside and started to do my usual gesture: pointing the orange shovel and sai "Go potty." Moomoo was a little confuse. He went running back and forth in the garden as if I am taking him for a play. I keep doing "Go potty" and pointing my shovel. After few minutes (longer than usual MooMoo started to sniff around) theeeen there you go MooMoo started to do his business. Woah! Fianlly he understood the afternoon/evening routine.

This is MooMoo with my son holding the shovel. Sometimes before he goes to school, he will check if MooMoo wants to go for another round :cheezy:In the backround is the garden (MooMoo's toilet :cheezy:

2d6m5v5.jpg

Now the challenge is that to teach MooMoo to ask to go outside if he wants to go potty. At the moment, if he wants to go outside his routines he will just do it at home! We saw in youtube there is a dog who will pull a rope with bells to ask for going outside. Well, that is something to teach.

As far as the litter tray, still no luck. Seems like he likes to hold it until the time to go outside. Around 6AM he will start to bark to ask to go outside instead of doing his buisness on the litter tray. Well that is another something to teach him too.

Have a great Sunday everyone! We'll keep you posted.

PS:

You know that the dog groomer trim MooMoo's face like in the photo below. We are so upset. How long does it take to grow back? Any thoughts?

2euka3o.jpg

nfj42.jpg

• Like 4
PipsMom

MooMoo is so smart and learns quickly.... he'll pick up the bell ringing on the door trick  in no time I'm sure. Love your teaching method. Have to say your son is just gorgeous ❤️❤️❤️

The groomer did go a little scissor happy...hate when they do that when you ask them not to....It grows back pretty quick though and should look a lot more filled in with another months growth.

• Like 2
Missysmom

Wow MooMoo is learning Very quickly, Great job! And I Love your orange scoop, super idea! Love the picture of you son and MooMoo how adorable! :) 

• Like 1