Puppy pees in same place but not where we want her to?

Hi all,

My 7 week old Shih Tzu x Maltese tends to do her business at the same location, but not where we want her to. She likes to urinate and defecate underneath my piano near one of the stools, which is an inconvenient place :waycon1: She always wakes up from a nap, walks out of her doggy bed and does her business at the exact same location. Is there a reason why she does this? Also how do you guys train them at night? I've been trying to use the general method where, when Ruby ( My puppy ) does her business we take her over to the pad to let her know that she is meant to pee and poop there, but she only ever urinates in the middle of the night when we're all asleep next to the piano. Any tips regarding this matter? Thanks!

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

Oh the trials of potty training............your going to have to rid of the odor around the places where she is going potty.  I mix 2 parts water to 1 part Listerine (mouthwash) in a spray bottle and soak the area and then place a half sheet of newspaper (with the print) on top to soak up the liquid. Takes away the smell. There are lots of products on the market but this works the best for me.  One thing you may want to do is place a potty pad under the piano until she gets the idea that is what she is to use and then slowly move it to the area that you want her to go.  It sounds like you let her have the run of the house..........you may want to confine her to a small location.  Some people crate or playpen their paws........my guys thankfully did not have nighttime potty issues as they sleep in the Big Bed but I have the area closed off  so they do not have run of the house and they have access to a potty pad in the master bath or laundry room in case of emergency.

• Like 3
Missysmom

Wow Jeannie thanks for the tip on the Listerine, that stuffs good for everything!

I totally agree with Jeannie and it's a great idea to limit her area at night Alex. I still keep Missy in our room with the door closed so she can't roam at night. She has her bed in there by our bed so she can roam in the room but not the rest of the house. When she was younger she did sleep in the crate in the bedroom, but it wasn't long till she trained us and didn't stay in the crate! ;) 

• Like 4
Crinkly

This is our overnight setup.  There is a second dog bed for the other wee tyke just off camera to the right.

image_zpsc34mzcsy.jpeg

the brownish mat thing is a washable fabric pee pad - saved me a fortune!  I bought one for a great dane, and cut it into 4.

there is a transparent plastic mat over the carpet.

the pen is down beside the bed, so we all sleep 'together' in the same room.

keep meaning to get it sorted, so that it looks 'prettier'.  A wooden pen, with nice varnished spindles, and a proper 'den' for each mutt.  But as a basic design, i can't fault it.

but if you had an escapologist, you would need a lid!

• Like 4