Problems Agreeing

Narcissa's Mommy

I'm going to give a bit of background here....we lost my baby Tonks not too long ago. She got hit by a truck as we live next to the highway and as you can imagine we have been devastated. Now with our 10 week shih tzu Narcissa I am wanting to keep her inside even using a potty pad instead of going outside. My husband absolutely refuses to allow this and states that dogs go outside to potty never inside. I am really torn because I am scared of allowing her out unless it's on a leash for walking. What are some of your inputs here? The only problem she has had on her pads is sometimes she circles it and misses the pad. 

• Like 1
PipsMom

This is a hard question since you really need your husband agreeing with you on every level. Both of mine potty inside on pads 24/7 and don't go out very much unless on lead but my hubby is alright with the potty areas they use.

Hopefully some of the other members will read this later on and chime in

And a Warm Welcome to our Shih Tzu family

• Like 3
Marlene
43 minutes ago, Narcissa's Mommy said:

The only problem she has had on her pads is sometimes she circles it and misses the pad. 

I have never used pads for potty training.  I helped a lady re-home 2 long haired doxies once. They were pad trained but she put a rock in the middle of the pad and they "aimed " for it.  There was a male and a female.

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

Number one you have to get the husband on board...........I have 7 Tzu's of which 6 are rescues....when our Lucy came into our home she was apparently  pad trained and that is where she goes 24/7 unless we are outside for any length of time the rest are pad trained but only in case of emergency....they all go outside. Can you not make a small enclosure for her in your yard? We have a dog run for our guys to do there business if we are not out in the yard as I do not let my guys out unsupervised................

Pawz4me

Welcome!

Yogi is the first dog we've ever had who's been pee pad trained.  It works out wonderfully for us, but he does go outside to potty sometimes, too.  We have a securely fenced back yard.  No dog should ever go outside unleashed unless it's in a safely fenced area (or unless you live way, way away from a road that gets much traffic and you trust that your dog has a good recall).  So if you can't get your husband on board with allowing your new pup to use pads, then you will have to leash her up for potty breaks if you don't have a fenced area.  Every time.  No exceptions, ever.  If you go that route I would also immediately start teaching her that she never crosses the door threshold until her leash is attached.  I've done that with dogs in the past when we didn't have a fenced yard.

• Like 2
ParadiseTzu

Welcome! I have 2 Shih Tzu. One you can walk outside with unleashed and she potties but we have never allowed her outside without one of us going with her. My other one, is leashed every single time he goes out to potty. I do not find that time consuming for me and that would be my solution - leash!

• Like 2
Narcissa's Mommy

Thanks everyone for your advice. Those of you who have puppies leash trained how did you train them to do so? I also am wondering how I am going to get her to understand when she goes outside that means it's potty time and not play time. Thanks again for all the advice! 

• Like 1
ParadiseTzu

I was just talking to hubby about this the other day.....how do they figure out they are supposed to pee in the beginning when I say to. I dont know but they do. I take them to the very same spot initially and pick a word I am going to say consistently. I take them out every 20 minutes when they are awake. If they do something, they get some free time on the floor inside as long as I can watch them. (I dont give mine treats, I overdo the praise). Anytime I cant watch them, they are in a small crate and they spend the night in the crate too. As time goes on and they earn it, their free time gets longer. I have never had it take over a couple of days tho before the puppy knew what I wanted the to do when I said whatever word I chose. As far as leash training goes, put a harness and leash on and let them freely drag it around (again with supervision) and then walk them a few feet at a time  until they get the hang of it. Potty training is Lots of work, no doubt, but so very rewarding and enjoyable when you begin to know "we've made it"!

• Like 3
Sunlite

They learn to potty by example, usually smelling where others have gone before or if you take a dirty pad out with you when you go and put it where you want them to go.
If he's against a pad, how about a doggie box with litter. They make a litter with recycled newsprint for dogs.

• Like 4