Narcissa's Mommy

We were doing really good on the pads so far but today Narcissa has started to poop and pee in different areas of the house! I'm just so shocked and confused and a little defeated now....what do I do? 

• Like 3
Marlene

At 10 weeks, she should be confined to a small space.....like one room at a time.  Just as if you had a crawling infant, you would be constantly alert as to where they are.  She needs to be "under your thumb" so behaviors can be re-enforced immediately.

I've never pad trained so I'm not sure about this.......but do they reject a heavily soiled pad like cats do with litter boxes?

Little stinker :-)

• Like 5
Narcissa's Mommy
27 minutes ago, Marlene said:

At 10 weeks, she should be confined to a small space.....like one room at a time.  Just as if you had a crawling infant, you would be constantly alert as to where they are.  She needs to be "under your thumb" so behaviors can be re-enforced immediately.

I've never pad trained so I'm not sure about this.......but do they reject a heavily soiled pad like cats do with litter boxes?

Little stinker :-)

Thank you! I did actually "puppy proof" my area and she is blocked off from the bathroom and the back rooms...I was wondering the same thing like maybe it's too soiled now....I was thinking if I left it it would help her find her scent but maybe that's the issue....she is a bit picky lol! In addition she is under supervision pretty constantly unless I am tending to my 4 year old or in the back rooms doing laundry etc. 

• Like 3
Marlene

Try putting another pad, a clean one in the area of a soiled one and see if she will use that.  

But again, as far as supervision, you should be able to see her at all times ....to see if she's sneaking off to go potty.

I do understand tending to a 4 year old........there's only so much Mama to go around.  But on the other hand - pretend you just birthed another child.....one who can crawl around, doesn't wear diapers and can sneak off and potty while you thought you were potty training her.  I assume your 4 yr old is out of diapers?  If not, don't feel bad - it seems to be the norm.

• Like 5
Narcissa's Mommy
1 hour ago, Marlene said:

Try putting another pad, a clean one in the area of a soiled one and see if she will use that.  

But again, as far as supervision, you should be able to see her at all times ....to see if she's sneaking off to go potty.

I do understand tending to a 4 year old........there's only so much Mama to go around.  But on the other hand - pretend you just birthed another child.....one who can crawl around, doesn't wear diapers and can sneak off and potty while you thought you were potty training her.  I assume your 4 yr old is out of diapers?  If not, don't feel bad - it seems to be the norm.

Lol that's exactly what I've been telling everyone! It is literally like having a crawling baby again! Yes my 4 year old was potty trained before she was 2 I also have a 6 year old so I know the feeling of starting over but it's just hard to get the mindset of having a new baby with a puppy. Which is totally the case.

• Like 4
Marlene

Yes.....you have it.  You have another infant.  Just very fluffy, cute and "a lil more able than a newborn" she will mature a lil more quickly than a hooman bean infant.....but you have just about as much responsibility as you did with your first 2.

• Like 3
minabey

Hi, just hang in there. You seem to be doing fine. Puppies will tend to get a few misses here and there but they'll get it with consistency. You just have to catch them at the right time the mistake is made and corrected immediately (moving her to the pad). If you want to leave her scent on the new pad, you could try to get a bit of her pee on the new one before you dispose of the soiled one. I did that before with newspapers. Tore up a small piece and dipped it in his pee and taped that on the clean newspaper I laid out. Worked perfectly. 

• Like 3
ParadiseTzu

I couldnt do without a small crate. For those times that I cannot watch them. Most dogs will not soil their crate. Or I have attached their leash to my belt as I moved around. Puppy training just takes a while and you have setbacks along the way. I have a puppy that just turned a year old, has not had an accident in the house since before he was ten months old and yet, poopied in the floor a week ago.

• Like 3
PipsMom

Mine have always hated walking in their pee once it gets full and will go on the edge where it's still dry but of course it spills onto the floor ...... Once it gets kinda full scent mark a new pad and toss the wet one.

• Like 1
Marlene

"Girls" are known to like to pee "on" something.  They don't like to squat on a flat surface because it splashes on their feet.  I'm thinking you might try creating a "ball" softly made from a pee pad, not too high as Tzus are low to the ground - to put in the middle of the pad.

Just another crazy suggestion.

• Like 1
Narcissa's Mommy

She's doing ok still and better with new pads every time they get soiled....but she has a favorite uh oh spot in front on my birds cage and in the bathroom....what do I do to get her to stop going to these spots 

• Like 1
PipsMom

I use to have those uh oh spots that weren't convenient toilet areas too....but you know what?...

I placed a pad in those places and she still went there from time to time but eventually she went off them .....and started using my chosen spot that  I wanted her to go in instead....

I never gave her treats for going in her spots I didn't approve of but she soon learned if I go to the chosen spot over there....mommie gives me a treat.

• Like 3