I feel like a failure

Marlene

Fluffy lil white Bear is staying with me for a week.  I picked him up yesterday from his neuter.  He's been a pretty good boy.....not loaded with personality at this time but give him time.

Sigh....he won't eat.  So far, last night after sleeping off some of the anesthesia he was offered a few salmon/sweet potato kibble, sliced cooked chicken heart and rice.  The only thing he ate was about 4-5 pieces of kibble by hand (and his Mama said he wouldn't eat kibble).  I wasn't too worried, figured he'd be hungry this morning.  I offered him a small piece of cooked chicken giblet and kibble  -  nada.  Then I offered some canned dog food.  He ate 2 marble-sized bites by hand.  Later I fixed myself an egg I didn't want, thinking maybe I could tempt him with something *I* was eating.....nope.

He is drinking water and he HAS had a few bites but dogs always eat for me!  I feel like a failure.  

Still to come....cottage cheese, sliced cheese, broth, fish and I'll pick up some babyfood.

He is taller and longer than Shorty G who weighs 11 lbs and is a pudge.  Bear is very thin and bony at 11 1/2 lbs.

I'll just keep trying  -  what I cook or open that he won't eat......my dogs will.

• Like 7
Sunlite

I'm sure he'll come around....  You'll find something that'll entice him soon!

• Like 6
Summerangel

Awwwww don't feel like that.. I have faith in you, hang in there... If anyone can, you can :pash:

• Like 5

He'll come around, Marlene.  He's been through a LOT of trauma.  I have faith in you!

• Like 7
PipsMom

He'll come right, you know that...new house, foster moms not around, cut out marbles.....that's a lot of trauma in a short amount of time...Hang in there Marlene, he needs you more than ever to just be there comforting him. Hugs

• Like 5
Marlene

I'm not that worried and have to remind myself he's only 11 pounds so a few bites of food goes a long way.

The new news is that I've finally been able to get a good look through all his long fur and he's loaded with fleas :-(  :-(   :-(

I don't freak about fleas....it's just that Shorty G is SO allergic to flea bites.

I was able to get ahold of his Mama and got her OK to treat him with Advantage.  I'll also treat my own two.

Believe it or not, working in rescue I don't see a lot of fleas.  Dogs taken into shelters are immediately treated with flea prevention  -  I transport and keep overnight a lot of those dogs and rarely have a problem.  When I "pupsit" for other foster homes they are on flea prevention and heartworm medication, supplied by rescue.

This little guy is neither - he is from a senior lady's home that has 3 dogs she can't afford.  Peace of Mind Dog Rescue often gives a helping hands to these folks.  Bear did not come from this rescue but that's why the rescue contacted me about caring for him for a week while Mom undergoes some medical care.

• Like 7
Amy0515

Poor thing!  He sounds like he has been through so much.  I'm sure he just feels yucky and will start to eat for you soon.  Good Luck! 

• Like 5
Missysmom

Oh wow fleas on top of all that, man I'm surprised he ate anything at all, he has to be super miserable. Poor Bear. I know he'll come around soon Marlene and I know if anyone can make him all better it's you! Keeping Bear in my prayers, that little fella has a lot to get over and through. Hugs:throb:

• Like 5
Crinkly

poor wee chappie!

you'll have him eating out of your hand in no time!

do you have Capstar flea treatment tablets for sale near you?  That will knock fleas out more quickly and more efficiently than Advantage, which can then mop up any new flea hatchlings.

• Like 4
Marlene

I have seen Capstar used.....and it's a miracle.  But I treated him with the ADVANTAGE because I have it on hand.

We had to go out for about 1 1/2 hour and it's too hot to leave him in the car.  I made him a "room" in the bathroom, complete with a dog bed, a dog pad, a radio and a small plate of food including small amts of chicken heart, cottage cheese, dogfood and kibble.  He ate it ALL except for a few pieces of kibble.  Had a little walk, had a little poo and I feel better now :-)  Little things mean a lot.

• Like 10
Sunlite

Good boy...

Good news indeed!

• Like 6
Sophie's Haven

After reading these postings my first thought was.......Bear is going to come to love his new surroundings.....he is experiencing things that are all new and strange to him.......the food, the care and special attention that he will not want to go home.  He must  think he hit the Lottery and is staying at the Ritz. Give him Hugs from us and continue the great work your doing. Failure should never be in your vocabulary Marlene when it comes to the love and care you give these sweet paws........:throb:

• Like 6
Marlene

I think he's well loved in his home.  Probably a case of a senior lady who has more dogs than she can afford (3).  He's not well-groomed but he's a happy little guy.

He's eating like a champ, LOVES going for walks.  I crated him last night where he was quiet as a mouse.  His Mama lets all the dogs sleep with her and I did the first night.  But for now, I'm trying to keep flea and eggs contained :-(   I can't bathe him because he's just been neutered but have been brushing and combing him.....outside.

• Like 8
Summerangel
14 hours ago, Marlene said:

I think he's well loved in his home.  Probably a case of a senior lady who has more dogs than she can afford (3).  He's not well-groomed but he's a happy little guy.

He's eating like a champ, LOVES going for walks.  I crated him last night where he was quiet as a mouse.  His Mama lets all the dogs sleep with her and I did the first night.  But for now, I'm trying to keep flea and eggs contained :-(   I can't bathe him because he's just been neutered but have been brushing and combing him.....outside.

How come they didn't notice the fleas when he was being neutered? working so close on him . 

Hope Shory G is ok ? I'm scratching just thinking about them! ? 

• Like 5
Marlene
11 hours ago, Summerangel said:

How come they didn't notice the fleas when he was being neutered? working so close on him . 

Hope Shory G is ok ? I'm scratching just thinking about them! ? 

It was a low-cost spay/neuter clinic where he was neutered.  Fast in, fast out  -  don't look for anything but what you're there for :-(

Shorty and Bear are both scratching :-(

• Like 4
Amy0515
On 2/9/2016 at 6:51 PM, Marlene said:

I have seen Capstar used.....and it's a miracle.  But I treated him with the ADVANTAGE because I have it on hand.

We had to go out for about 1 1/2 hour and it's too hot to leave him in the car.  I made him a "room" in the bathroom, complete with a dog bed, a dog pad, a radio and a small plate of food including small amts of chicken heart, cottage cheese, dogfood and kibble.  He ate it ALL except for a few pieces of kibble.  Had a little walk, had a little poo and I feel better now :-)  Little things mean a lot.

That is great news! 

2 hours ago, Marlene said:

It was a low-cost spay/neuter clinic where he was neutered.  Fast in, fast out  -  don't look for anything but what you're there for :-(

Oh goodness!  

• Like 2
Summerangel
2 hours ago, Marlene said:

Oh bless you Hun. 

Hope Shorty is going to be ok.. I know what I feel like when Donte gets scratching. 

Poor Bear, but you're on the case now so he's in safe hands. 

• Like 2