Amanda&Milly

Hi everyone, i am new to the whole forum thing so please bare with me.

I recently rescued a shih tzu puppy back in August (she is around 11 months now almost a year). she was thought to be a puppy mill rescue do to atrophied leg muscles and over all health concerns and behavior issues. She is a complete delight and is such a little love bug. The only issue i have is house breaking. she is currently on a very strict feeding schedule in order for me to time her potty times, but nonetheless she still constantly has accidents. she is crated during the day but constantly sees this as a place to go to the bathroom (it is as small as it can be but still allowing her to turn, lay, and stand). i have tried different crates, gated pens, don't go here sprays, strict schedule following but she still is having constant accidents, and i don't know what else to do. (she is pooping and peeing in the crate)

i would really like to hear what some of you have done in the past with difficulties pertaining to potty training. Any advice at all is greatly appreciated !

• Like 4
Pawz4me

Welcome!

As you probably already know, house training puppy mill dogs can be extremely challenging!

How often are you taking her out?  Are you (or someone else) home with her most of the time?

I know it sounds horribly time consuming, but I would shoot for getting her outside every 15 or 20 minutes.  And even if you have a fenced yard I'd walk her on leash to help her understand there's a purpose for being outside.  Once she does her business let her off leash for some free time sniffing around, even if it's just 30 seconds or so (that's assuming you have a fenced yard, of course).  Keep a small, high value treat with you so you can reward her with it the moment she finishes going.  Essentially you want to set her up to be successful as often as possible in order to help the light bulb go off that outside is where she's supposed to go.

Inside I'd use a leash and tether her to you (or some other human) at all times.

I know a lot of people don't like to use pee pads, but if I were in your shoes I'd seriously consider them.  At least they would get her "going" on an acceptable surface.

If all else fails you may need to use a belly band on her.

• Like 5
Missysmom

Welcome Amanda and Milly so glad you joined us! Can't wait to see and hear all about Milly, when you get a chance please post a picture of her!

I too wondered if someone is with her or if she's in the cage all day. Unfortunately she was probably raised in a cage and very used to 'going' in there so you could have a bigger challenge with breaking her of that. I agree with Pawz try taking her out as often as possible on a lead and lots of praise and a treat when she goes.

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

First of all Welcome Amanda and Milly to the forum...........As the Mom to a rescue that was a puppy mill paw used for breeding and was caged for 6 years of her life (now 13 years old) she will be with us 6 years this coming June. My first question is why are you crating Milly? Is she crated because you work or because of not wanting her to have run of the house when your busy? If the latter is the issue (as I have done this with another of my rescues) attach a short leash to her and hook it to your belt or belt loop.......that way she is not out of your site and you have easy access to get her out to potty......plus it also helps in training her to come to you when her name is called if you have that issue.

My Missy to this day still has to have the scent of urine to go potty.....being caged and living in your own urine/poop that is the smell she got accustom too. I have never grated her as she now has her freedom to go and come as she pleases. We had some challenges when she first came to live with us.......If she had an accident in the house I was prompt about getting the odor out ASAP so she would not continue to use that spot..........I think my biggest problem with her was pooping......we have a set time EVERYDAY to go out and go potty. I have 7 so when it is potty time my voice goes to a different pitch......OKAY GUYS POTTY TIME(happy and excited sounding)........everyone gets running to the door.....goes out does their business (I have a dog run) and then it is a run back into the house because they know a TREAT is waiting. I have potty pads for untimed potty breaks.  I do remember that when Missy first came we would take about a 20 minute walk around the yard just to get her familiar with smells.........and she would watch the other paws  (just had 2 at the time) play and do their thing. Missy did not know how to run and play and interact with the other paws......or humans. She liked me but up until a few months ago would have nothing to do with my husband unless he got on the ground with her. Now she goes and sits by him and looks up for a pet on the head. She has learned to play and run right along with the others and has taken to our Lexie as hers. She HATES loud noise of any type, strange people and storms or sudden moves if I were to reach down and pick her up without her knowing. I know my paw is older but just wanted you to know some things that may occur over time........these guys do not forget their past.......This is not going to happen over night........`Time and Patience is the key to retraining these paws.........and you have to consistent........dogs like a routine and like to please....... even once you think you have it licked they still will have an occasion mishap......would love to see pictures of your Milly............and all the best in retraining her.  

• Like 3
Crinkly

I can't add anything to what has been suggested above, except to welcome you and Milly, and thank you for rescuing her.  She will repay you for that, with love, every day for the rest of her life.

• Like 3
Amanda&Milly

Thank you all for all the advice! She is only crated when no one is home do to her likeing to be miscivious and her love of chewing all things that are not toys. We tried doing a pen and even baby gating a small room while we are not home but she has had better success with potty training when crated. She was doing extremely well with blather control and not pooping in the crate but recently I have noticed a bit of a regression. She never has an accident over night but always right before my dad gets home from work and quite often. The issues is I am currently finishing my last semester as an undergrad (may I will be done) so I am away and in the mean time she is at home with my parents. They usually work from 7am to 3pm. I have always had big dogs and never had a problem with potty training. My neighbors are all unable to let her out while no one is home and my parents work to far to let her out midday. My next question I guess would be  do you have any ideas of things that could help in the next two months along the lines of potty training since she does have to wait for one of them to get home. 

I graduate in May and someone will be home with the dogs constantly by that point (we have a family German shepherd). She is absolute phenomenal when I am living at home and has never except maybe handful of times had an accident for me in the crate. When I am home she is good about giving me signals when she has to go out. I just need some advice about what to do during the day so to advise my parents since I know it can be frustrating.

Thanks again everyone! image.thumb.jpeg.8edaf7cb69a3e65c5c57b2eThis is Milly! After her valentines day trip to the groomers.valentines day trip to the groomers.

• Like 4
Marlene

Forgive me if i missed something in the previous replies.....how many hours a day is she usually crated?

• Like 2
Missysmom

Love the pic of Milly, what a sweetheart she is!! Interesting she was doing fine before and the accidents just started. Would almost make you wonder if she had a bladder infection except she's doing both.. Am not sure what else you can try since you've already tried the pen and baby gates and there isn't anyone who can let her out. Unless you try a doggy day care for the next few months, but I know those can be rather pricey sometimes.

• Like 2
Pawz4me

I think the biggest issue is that she's a former puppy mill dog.  Sadly, they learn to do their business right in their crate.  It's all they can do.  So sometimes crating them to help with potty training like you would with a "normal" dog doesn't work at all, or can even make things worse.

It's probably made worse by the fact that she's a small dog, and those are considered harder to house train than bigger dogs.

But really, I think it's the puppy mill issue that's the main problem.

That's really a long time for any small dog who isn't house trained to have to hold it.  I'm guessing since you say your parents work 7 to 3 they're actually gone a bit longer than that, for travel time?

I think in your situation what I would do is try setting her up in an ex-pen or small room and using pee pads.  I know lots of people don't like those, but if you can get her to use them it would be so much better than having her go in a place she's not supposed to.  And for a dog who has to be alone regularly, it's really more healthy to give them a place they can relieve themselves than having to hold it for hours.

Of course hiring a dog walker to come in at least once a day could certainly work, and as Missy Mom mentioned doggy daycare could be a fabulous solution.  It would take care of the pottying issue and provide her with so much socialization!  But I know those are expensive.

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

I agree with Pawz.......do you have a small bathroom that you could keep her in......have a radio with easy listening music on low, her bed, something like a t-shirt with your smell, toys and potty pads plus kibble and water.  Get her use to going out to potty just before the last person leaves the house and then put her in the room and as soon as the first person gets home they have to take her out even if they see she has went potty. She will get into the routine of heading to the room in the morning and heading to the outside door when she is let out........ One thing that may happen and leaving some extra treats may help but she may eat her own poo......most dogs do this so please don't think something is wrong with Milly.

One suggestion.....take some bite size treats and hide them under her blanket or behind something so that she has to hunt.....keeps them from getting bored. Being she is young if you give her some good exercise just running around the house for 15 minutes or tossing a toy......it will tier her out and she will tend to lay down and nap. I am a firm believer of playing soft music.........it helps calm them. Good luck.

• Like 3