housetraining older pup

librarychick1979

Hello,

I posted in the intro forum earlier about the 8 month old female pup I adopted about a month ago. I'm pretty sure her first owners gave her up because she isn't housetrained and they were divorcing and neither wanted to deal with a puppy that went in the house. I think we're very patient and we've come a long long long way in 4 weeks. We know it's a process and she won't be perfect over night. 

Here are the couple of issues I could use some tips, tricks, or ideas with. 

She can make it through the night in the crate and all day when we're working (out of the crate- she barked and it bothered our neighbor) so I know she can hold it. She only goes in the house, usually, if we're right there. We don't punish and barely even react beyond a "oh, daisy! no! we go outside" and immediately take her out. We praise and treat when she goes outside. the problem we've run into is that she does not seem to empty her bladder when she's out. She'll pee three or four times, just a tiny amount each time, in a ten minute out. then five minutes or so after we come in, she'll go on the floor. How can we get her to completely empty her bladder. I understand she's a tiny dog with a tiny bladder but it's a bit frustrating. 

Other difficult piece to this- she's learned well that if she scratches at the door, one of us will take her out. This is fantastic. Except that she uses it all the time, just because she's bored or we aren't paying attention to her. this is particularly when we're eating dinner and she's not getting attention. Sometimes we can redirect her with a toy or a game, if we're pretty sure she doesn't actually have to pee, but we don't want to not take her out if she needs to do that one last little piddle. 

So, any way to train her to actually do all of her peeing at once and/or only ask to go out when she actually needs to? Our adult dog *hates* being outside so rarely asks to go out. He's well house-broken and has a good routine- he does his business when we take him out and wants back in the house. We aren't yet used to a dog who enjoys outside, including the snow and mud. 

Thanks in advance!

• Like 5
Pawz4me

Random thoughts --

It sounds to me as if she's marking.  Lots of people think females don't mark, but lemme tell you -- they do.  The worst marker I ever had was a female.

Where do you take her when you go outside -- do you walk her where other dogs have gone (other than your own dog)?  That might inspire her to go more.

Where she goes in the house -- are you cleaning with an enzyme based cleaner like Nature's Miracle?  Is it possible your other dog at some point had accidents inside?

How long have you had her?  It's possible she never got taken outside much at her former home, and that once she gets used to it her infatuation with being outside will decrease.

If she couldn't hold it at night I'd say she might have a UTI.

How much exercise does she get?  Some of the wanting to go out/boredom may be related to not getting enough exercise.  The old saying that a tired dog is a good dog is generally very true.  I try my best to get Yogi out for at least a 30 minute brisk walk a day.  That's a minimum.  If we miss a day or two of walking he's okay, but miss more than that and he starts getting a bit obnoxious.

I'd try finding a special yummy chew treat (maybe a bully stick or pig ear or something like that) that she gets just during your meal times.  That might help with her wanting to go outside then.

• Like 4
Sophie's Haven

Oh the frustration of a new pup when you have an older one that is so good. She may very well be a marker.....I have two females that are and one male. One of my suggestions would be to allot some time just before you eat to take her for a brisk walk around the block........and then just before you sit down to eat give her a chewy stick as suggested in the previous post. If at all possible a short walk on a leash at least twice a day will help empty the bladder. One thing with these guys  is when they get in a routine it is hard to break........and if she knows she can get you to jump on her whims she will continue to pester you. Good exercise a couple times a day makes a world of difference.........when my 7 are in the house for a couple of days they tend to get anxious and need to burn off some energy........a good 30 minutes outside running and playing and it is quiet time the rest of the afternoon or evening. I don't know your situation but do you feel safe to allow her outside on her own where you can still see her  and let her out while you finish getting dinner on the table? 

• Like 4
Missysmom

Geez she sounds a lot like Missy! When we got her and we're doing her refresher potty training, she is a rescue, we learned quickly that she needed to stay out much longer to totally empty her bladder. She is a huge marker, when we're out on walks you'd swear I am walking a boy not a girl! And we have a lot of wild animals that come into our yard even though it's fenced so she has to mark wherever anyone has intruded on her area! So I would give Daisy longer outside and try to let her tell you when she's done. It took awhile but I trained Missy that when I ask 'Are you done' she'll do her last little bit and then run to the door. 

Ah the attention getting moves they do! Missy has that annoying habit too, she's just fine at breakfast but at night she'll try to distract us just like you're saying. Missy generally just wants to get her daddy up so she can get his crumbs- makes him so mad! ;)  She's just being a brat! Just like you we first determine she really doesn't need to go out, then I put her in a stay by my feet. Once she knows I'm not happy with her she settles down. Then when we're done eating I play with her, she knows that's her reward.

Am not sure you may already be doing this. But when we got Missy I kept her on lead in the house with her lead attached to me. This not only helped me to keep an eye on her for needing to go out potty but taught her to stay by me. shes pretty much my shadow now.

They really just want to make you happy and to be with you. Daisy will catch on, you haven't had her very long and time and patience are the key with these little guys. They will wrap you around their paw and train you before you know it! ;) 

• Like 5