Rescuing a puppy

Leolove

Yes!  Would love having bunch of them running around my house :)  Only option they provide is an email address so I will try bugging them after a week.  

• Like 4
Amy0515
5 hours ago, Leolove said:

Yes I received confirmation each time.  Maybe they have more qualified applicants than me.  Would really help if I knew either way so I can plan my next option.  Would've loved to help a little one find a home instead of purchasing but at least I tried.  I'm sure they are super busy also and like Marlene mentioned they are all volunteers so I will wait it out few more weeks.  Thank you for your support!  Means so much~~ I was feeling so frustrated. HUGS!!

Hang in there~!  I hope you hear something soon and I REALLY hope you get good news! :) 

• Like 5
Leolove

UPDATE UPDATE!!!  I got a call~~ did a phone interview for an hour or so.  I passed first round.. next round is home visit which might be as early as this Sunday!  Hope all goes well.  

Thank you again everyone for your support and wish me luck!

• Like 4
Marlene

Woohoo.....now you're on board.

I have done many, many home visits, most of them for Boxers which, granted aren't Shih Tzus but I'll tell you what I look for.

We like everyone in the family to be home.  We want to get a feel that everyone is on board and wants this dog.  That everyone is respectful to each other and know how to handle a dog.  I want to feel comfortable kids (or adults) are not running in and out, leaving doors open for a dog to get out unattended.

The yard is very important - mainly the fences.  In the case of Boxers many of the dogs in shelters get there because they went stray and nobody looked for them :-(  We want to make sure a dog won't find an obvious, easy "out" to get out of the yard.  It can be especially frustrating with small dogs as they can squeeze through places you'd never think of.  I had a foster Tzu who was older and blind.  He really wanted out of my very small yard with a short picket fence.  He could squeeze through the pickets and get UNDER the gate.  If I was being interviewed to adopt him I would probably have to agree to re-do the fence properly OR promise the dog would never be outside un-attended.

I want to see a house that is moderately clean, mostly worried about chewable things on the floor that could get a dog in trouble.  I don't worry about YOUR stuff  -  I want to feel sure the dog is not going to eat computer cable, kids small toys, dangerous plants and cause a blockage or poison a rescue dog.

If the dog has access to the garage I want to make sure chemicals, etc are too high for a dog to reach.

I want to know what you feed and will secretly give extra points if you home cook or at least feed a premium commercial food (just kidding).

I will ask about crating.  Will you?  Do you know how it's done?  Are you aware of the grooming needs and costs of professional grooming?  Where will the dog sleep?  Eat?

We want no un-neutered/un-spayed pets in the home.

I want to see how other pets in your home interact with a rescue - I usually bring along one of mine.  If you mind a Boxer trying to get in your lap, wanting to kiss you, looking for affection and you're uncomfortable with that....a Boxer is not for you.  

I will ask you to keep a new dog confined to small spaces at a time, at first - to not introduce to a lot of strangers in the first couple of weeks.  Let him get used to you, your family, your home and your routine before asking him to handle strangers and big spaces.

I know many, many people get a bad idea of rescues, feeling they are pushy and require too much.  But we take this very seriously.  We are placing a new member in your home, about as close to a new child as you can get.  We don't want the dog to fail, we don't want you to fail - we don't ever want this dog who may have been un-loved, abused, neglected, strayed to be found in a shelter again.

I am confident you know all this already :-) and will pass with flying colors.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Marlene said:

Marlene, I am always curious about this.  I volunteered  to foster for Shih Tzu rescue and was told it wasn't possible because I have un-altered dogs.  MY question was, "Well, aren't the foster dogs spayed/neutered before being put in foster homes?"  They said "Yes," and I asked "Then what possible difference could it make?"  I was told, "It's the principle of the thing."  As far as I could see, the rescue is desperate for foster homes but still would not allow someone experienced with the breed and with dogs in general to foster due to showing dogs and breeding a litter every now-and-then.  Can you explain this a little better to me?

• Like 3
Marlene
32 minutes ago, Luna said:

Marlene, I am always curious about this.  I volunteered  to foster for Shih Tzu rescue and was told it wasn't possible because I have un-altered dogs.  MY question was, "Well, aren't the foster dogs spayed/neutered before being put in foster homes?"  They said "Yes," and I asked "Then what possible difference could it make?"  I was told, "It's the principle of the thing."  As far as I could see, the rescue is desperate for foster homes but still would not allow someone experienced with the breed and with dogs in general to foster due to showing dogs and breeding a litter every now-and-then.  Can you explain this a little better to me?

I wish I could - but I can't.  It is just the mantra of rescue, shelters and most vets that want to stop the production of un-planned litters.  I suppose it's a bit like an excellent breeder like yourself not being willing to place a "show quality dog" in a pet home.  No matter what they are willing to pay, no matter how perfect their home is.....they will not likely be able to ever purchase a show-quality puppy from you, nor will you ever place a pet puppy in a home w/o a spay/neuter contract.

It's like religion, politics, abortion, gay marriage.......there are very strong feeling about who is right.

I have a friend, my dental hygenist actually, who was raised with Labs.  Her father, brothers and husband hunt and the dogs are worked.  Her father talked her into breeding "for the family of hunters".  She doesn't do it often and she takes excellent care of her dogs but I still have to consider her a BYB (especially since Labs often have such large litters).  She is interested in my rescue work and wants to do some of what I do.  She doesn't want to transport or do home visits - she works full time and has 4 kids.  She wants to foster.  I had to tell her no rescue would consider her because she has intact male and female in her home.  It is what it is.

But you are right.....rescues are desperate for foster homes, and still, that is one rule that won't be messed with.

• Like 2
Leolove
1 hour ago, Marlene said:

Woohoo.....now you're on board.

I have done many, many home visits, most of them for Boxers which, granted aren't Shih Tzus but I'll tell you what I look for.

We like everyone in the family to be home.  We want to get a feel that everyone is on board and wants this dog.  That everyone is respectful to each other and know how to handle a dog.  I want to feel comfortable kids (or adults) are not running in and out, leaving doors open for a dog to get out unattended.

The yard is very important - mainly the fences.  In the case of Boxers many of the dogs in shelters get there because they went stray and nobody looked for them :-(  We want to make sure a dog won't find an obvious, easy "out" to get out of the yard.  It can be especially frustrating with small dogs as they can squeeze through places you'd never think of.  I had a foster Tzu who was older and blind.  He really wanted out of my very small yard with a short picket fence.  He could squeeze through the pickets and get UNDER the gate.  If I was being interviewed to adopt him I would probably have to agree to re-do the fence properly OR promise the dog would never be outside un-attended.

I want to see a house that is moderately clean, mostly worried about chewable things on the floor that could get a dog in trouble.  I don't worry about YOUR stuff  -  I want to feel sure the dog is not going to eat computer cable, kids small toys, dangerous plants and cause a blockage or poison a rescue dog.

If the dog has access to the garage I want to make sure chemicals, etc are too high for a dog to reach.

I want to know what you feed and will secretly give extra points if you home cook or at least feed a premium commercial food (just kidding).

I will ask about crating.  Will you?  Do you know how it's done?  Are you aware of the grooming needs and costs of professional grooming?  Where will the dog sleep?  Eat?

I want to see how other pets in your home interact with a rescue - I usually bring along one of mine.  If you mind a Boxer trying to get in your lap, wanting to kiss you, looking for affection and you're uncomfortable with that....a Boxer is not for you.  

I will ask you to keep a new dog confined to small spaces at a time, at first - to not introduce to a lot of strangers in the first couple of weeks.  Let him get used to you, your family, your home and your routine before asking him to handle strangers and big spaces.

I know many, many people get a bad idea of rescues, feeling they are pushy and require too much.  But we take this very seriously.  We are placing a new member in your home, about as close to a new child as you can get.  We don't want the dog to fail, we don't want you to fail - we don't ever want this dog who may have been un-loved, abused, neglected, strayed to be found in a shelter again.

I am confident you know all this already :-) and will pass with flying colors.

Ha! You read my mind...was curious what they look for when home visit occurs.  Thank you so much! She did ask about grooming and asked me to send her a pic of Joey which I did.  They called our vet and she liked my choice of food for Joey. Our house is pretty well puppy/dog proof but I'm certainly going to look over everything carefully.  We had a fence built for Joey in our backyard and she liked that as well.  She mentioned I might have to take Joey over to where the puppies are to make sure they get along. Joeys reaction to other dogs/puppies were different each time but I'm hoping he will do ok. He just needs time to adjust. Nervous and excited at the same time! 

• Like 3
Marlene
3 hours ago, Leolove said:

Ha! You read my mind...was curious what they look for when home visit occurs.  Thank you so much! She did ask about grooming and asked me to send her a pic of Joey which I did.  They called our vet and she liked my choice of food for Joey. Our house is pretty well puppy/dog proof but I'm certainly going to look over everything carefully.  We had a fence built for Joey in our backyard and she liked that as well.  She mentioned I might have to take Joey over to where the puppies are to make sure they get along. Joeys reaction to other dogs/puppies were different each time but I'm hoping he will do ok. He just needs time to adjust. Nervous and excited at the same time! 

I knew you were going to be in good shape - you know the breed, how to care for it and your home is already safe.

I think you should go in alone to meet the litter - you will be overwhelmed and surging with Mommie hormones. PUPPIES!   Decide which one you and the rescue think is the best for you.  When all of you agree "THIS IS THE ONE!!" - it usually helps to introduce your dog to the new dog away from either home.  A short little walk, somewhere around the neighborhood - give them a chance to scope each other out, aware of each other but also sniffing checking out other stuff on the way.  Then walk into the home where the puppy lives and see if all of you feel the same way.

I am SO excited for you :-)

• Like 4
Missysmom

WooHoo, super excited to hear this Great news!!  :thumbup: Can't Wait to hear how the home visit goes!

I was sooo nervous when we had our home visit for Missy, wish I'd had Marlene's list then!! It's funny other than going through the house, the yard, inspecting the fence and showing her where Missy would sleep and eat I honestly don't remember much! Then it was over and we got to go get Missy that night!! One thing I do remember is we had everything, crate(s), bowls, toys, etc already in place and she Really liked that she could see everything. 

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and can't wait to hear!! Hugs:throb:

• Like 4
Leolove
11 hours ago, Marlene said:

I knew you were going to be in good shape - you know the breed, how to care for it and your home is already safe.

I think you should go in alone to meet the litter - you will be overwhelmed and surging with Mommie hormones. PUPPIES!   Decide which one you and the rescue think is the best for you.  When all of you agree "THIS IS THE ONE!!" - it usually helps to introduce your dog to the new dog away from either home.  A short little walk, somewhere around the neighborhood - give them a chance to scope each other out, aware of each other but also sniffing checking out other stuff on the way.  Then walk into the home where the puppy lives and see if all of you feel the same way.

I am SO excited for you :-)

Wish I can bring them all with me! BUT... they require that you pick a specific dog on the application and foster mom for the boy I named in the application did the phone interview.  Not sure if they will let me take a different puppy.  One thing I am worried about is that Joey does not like car rides.  He liked it when he was a puppy and would just sleep the whole way but now he doesnt like it so much.  Argh.. dont want to put him through stress.  

10 hours ago, Missysmom said:

WooHoo, super excited to hear this Great news!!  :thumbup: Can't Wait to hear how the home visit goes!

I was sooo nervous when we had our home visit for Missy, wish I'd had Marlene's list then!! It's funny other than going through the house, the yard, inspecting the fence and showing her where Missy would sleep and eat I honestly don't remember much! Then it was over and we got to go get Missy that night!! One thing I do remember is we had everything, crate(s), bowls, toys, etc already in place and she Really liked that she could see everything. 

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and can't wait to hear!! Hugs:throb:

oooo~ another great suggestion!!! you're brilliant!  I have Joeys puppy stuff in "his" closet so I will bring that out and show her how ready I am!  We already started cleaning around the house a bit.. putting away things here and there that Joey is ok with but perhaps not for a puppy.  Couldn't sleep much last night from nervousness and excitement.. :) 

Thank you so much!!!! HUGS~

• Like 3
Missysmom

I know you don't have much time but.. Missy used to hate car rides and I've been working with her, first just visiting the car while parked, then short rides etc, all with a positive outcome (treats, pet store, toys, etc!) and have gotten to the point she'll lead me to the car! Maybe you can do some short rides with Joey before the visit and get him more accepting of the car? I also found that a booster seat worked much better for Missy as she can see out now. Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers for a very positive outcome! Hugs:throb:

• Like 3
Leolove
5 minutes ago, Missysmom said:

I know you don't have much time but.. Missy used to hate car rides and I've been working with her, first just visiting the car while parked, then short rides etc, all with a positive outcome (treats, pet store, toys, etc!) and have gotten to the point she'll lead me to the car! Maybe you can do some short rides with Joey before the visit and get him more accepting of the car? I also found that a booster seat worked much better for Missy as she can see out now. Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers for a very positive outcome! Hugs:throb:

Thank you for the suggestion.  I will try this!  Not sure what happened.  He just constantly wants to jump out of his seat now.  This was him before though.. 

20131109_095400_resized.jpg

20131109_095103_resized.jpg

• Like 4
Missysmom

Ooh what a cutie! Love his seat too!! That's how Missy lays in hers too, funny aren't they?! Have you tried putting a favorite toy or chew bone in there with him? I forgot I did that with Missy too, I actually have one of her blankets (towel) with her and my scent, a toy and a chew bone in there so she has some of her familiar things. She gets treats when she goes into her seat and usually several times along the ride, thankfully Missy is Very treat/food motivated! ;) 

• Like 3
Leolove
24 minutes ago, Missysmom said:

Ooh what a cutie! Love his seat too!! That's how Missy lays in hers too, funny aren't they?! Have you tried putting a favorite toy or chew bone in there with him? I forgot I did that with Missy too, I actually have one of her blankets (towel) with her and my scent, a toy and a chew bone in there so she has some of her familiar things. She gets treats when she goes into her seat and usually several times along the ride, thankfully Missy is Very treat/food motivated! ;) 

I tried the treating.. he spits them out! stinker.. I'm not giving up though.. it just takes time.  Will try little by little.  I picked that car seat cause the cover was removable/washable.  I admit.. I am a shopaholic when it comes to things for Joey.  Will come in handy this time though since I have multiples of everything.. puhehe

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Marlene said:

I wish I could - but I can't.  It is just the mantra of rescue, shelters and most vets that want to stop the production of un-planned litters.  I suppose it's a bit like an excellent breeder like yourself not being willing to place a "show quality dog" in a pet home.  No matter what they are willing to pay, no matter how perfect their home is.....they will not likely be able to ever purchase a show-quality puppy from you, nor will you ever place a pet puppy in a home w/o a spay/neuter contract.

It's like religion, politics, abortion, gay marriage.......there are very strong feeling about who is right.

I have a friend, my dental hygenist actually, who was raised with Labs.  Her father, brothers and husband hunt and the dogs are worked.  Her father talked her into breeding "for the family of hunters".  She doesn't do it often and she takes excellent care of her dogs but I still have to consider her a BYB (especially since Labs often have such large litters).  She is interested in my rescue work and wants to do some of what I do.  She doesn't want to transport or do home visits - she works full time and has 4 kids.  She wants to foster.  I had to tell her no rescue would consider her because she has intact male and female in her home.  It is what it is.

But you are right.....rescues are desperate for foster homes, and still, that is one rule that won't be messed with.

I have actually placed a number of show-prospect puppies in pet homes (the HOME being the thing) at pet price and on a spay/neuter contract with AKC Limited Registration papers provided AFTER proof of spay/neuter is provided.  I am often contacted by pet breeders to purchase a puppy with full breeding rights, and I tell them that we only sell dogs with full rights on a show contract, which requires the dog finish the AKC conformation Ch. prior to being used for breeding and also puts restrictions on HOW the dog can be bred for it's lifetime.  I am glad you can't explain the whole thing to me, because no one else has been able to so I suppose no one ever WILL be, lol.

• Like 5
Sunlite

I really consider all 3 of my babies from Pam show pups. Decker of course with his eye issue is the 'real' exception but the other 2...there's no reason either couldn't have been there...but I'm happy they're not cause they're with me!

In addition I have zero guilt about purchasing my pups as I tried numerous times going through a rescue only to be asked how much am I willing to donate and my home is not good enough. Reasons being that I work fulll time...I don't have a fenced in yard...I have had a dog put down and they don't like that...requirements are insane....

• Like 5
PipsMom

Can't wait till you get your new puppy! I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors 

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

Great News......and everything Marlene had listed is pretty much was on my home visit form not only for my approval but when I did home visits. Now in our rescues dogs were not placed in homes with children under 16 and no smoking in the home. Plus their vet and groomer were contacted along with another reference ..........just walk thru your house and make sure no cords are laying out or items that a dog could get hurt on are picked up........in one of my home visits I turned down an application due to the conditions of the outside.....and the wife smoked, which was not disclosed on phone interview and these people had a shih Tzu.......I felt bad but went with my gut on my decision.....figures crossed that you pass with flying colors..............let us know how it goes...........

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Sunlite said:

I really consider all 3 of my babies from Pam show pups. Decker of course with his eye issue is the 'real' exception but the other 2...there's no reason either couldn't have been there...but I'm happy they're not cause they're with me!

In addition I have zero guilt about purchasing my pups as I tried numerous times going through a rescue only to be asked how much am I willing to donate and my home is not good enough. Reasons being that I work fulll time...I don't have a fenced in yard...I have had a dog put down and they don't like that...requirements are insane....

Actually, all of yours WERE pics, Susan.  You got Adele because we didn't think she would make size.  Decker was retained for show until he injured his eye, and Max could easily have been the one to go to a show home: that was a tough decision!  But I think everything worked-out for the best, don't you?  :)

• Like 5
Marlene

Boo hiss......".they require that you pick a specific dog on the application and foster mom for the boy I named in the application did the phone interview.  Not sure if they will let me take a different puppy."

I don't like that rule :deal:  It makes it a beauty contest - picking out a dog strictly on pictures.  Rescue and potential adopter need to work together and pair up the best temperament dog for a new home.  I DO like that the foster Mom did the phone interview - no one knows more than her about the dog in her care.  The rescues I've been with use Adoption Coordinators who try to know as much as they can about all the dogs and match you up.  You wouldn't tell your son/daughter to pick a spouse based on a picture and bio.

On the other hand.....this is a puppy and hopefully won't have any baggage.

Does the foster Mom have more than this one puppy?  Often litters are kept together in a foster home.  If so, you will hopefully be able to scope out more than one.

• Like 4
Leolove
43 minutes ago, Marlene said:

Boo hiss......".they require that you pick a specific dog on the application and foster mom for the boy I named in the application did the phone interview.  Not sure if they will let me take a different puppy."

I don't like that rule :deal:  It makes it a beauty contest - picking out a dog strictly on pictures.  Rescue and potential adopter need to work together and pair up the best temperament dog for a new home.  I DO like that the foster Mom did the phone interview - no one knows more than her about the dog in her care.  The rescues I've been with use Adoption Coordinators who try to know as much as they can about all the dogs and match you up.  You wouldn't tell your son/daughter to pick a spouse based on a picture and bio.

On the other hand.....this is a puppy and hopefully won't have any baggage.

Does the foster Mom have more than this one puppy?  Often litters are kept together in a foster home.  If so, you will hopefully be able to scope out more than one.

She said she has the whole litter with her plus the mom.  No call yet.. will keep you posted!

• Like 4
Sunlite
6 hours ago, Luna said:

Actually, all of yours WERE pics, Susan.  You got Adele because we didn't think she would make size.  Decker was retained for show until he injured his eye, and Max could easily have been the one to go to a show home: that was a tough decision!  But I think everything worked-out for the best, don't you?  :)

Absolutely!  Love them all... best babies ever! 

• Like 1