"It's for the dogs"

Marlene

I'm going to a place this coming week that makes me cringe........I have been asked to transport 5 Beagles to the small dog rescue I work with (where Shorty G came from).  The place is a  lab that uses Beagles for research.  Generally (as I understand it) these dogs and other animals are put down when they are no longer useful.  These pups are all about a year old, born in the lab, never been outside or played with a toy.  I asked "how do these dogs generally do when re-homed?"  I was told "very well when young like this".  

I'm going to put my politics aside, keep my mouth shut and receive the 5 pups.  Beagles are a favorite of mine - our first family dog was a Beagle mix that lived until her 18th year.  Maybe I'll ask if one can be named "Daisy".

I was told that the last person that did these transports could not keep her feeling to herself.  It got to the point where they wouldn't let her in the facility, made her receive dogs in the parking lot.  Then it got so bad they would not release dogs to her........dogs were dying because of her.

This subject makes me sick and I'll probably cry all the way to the vet who is going to get them into foster homes.  But I'm going to do it.....at least once.

• Like 11
Sunlite

Your very strong and I know you can do it....sometimes saying nothing is more important. Keep us updated when you can.

• Like 7
Marlene

LOL - you don't know how hard it is to keep my feelings to myself.  Sometimes my tongue is bleeding as in "bite your tongue and let it be".

• Like 8
Crinkly

I admire you tremendously.

tempted to say 'I couldn't do it'

but if the dogs lives were at stake, I might manage it.

What beggars belief is that people can work in such a facility.

• Like 6
Marlene

I have a feeling there won't be much for me to see.......I don't have experience with these labs but from what I read they are quiet about what they do - secretive even.  I imagine I'll find a reception area, check in and the dogs will be brought to me.  I hate to even think about the whole reason for their being.......but am thankful I can scoop up 5 little souls that are going to have the kind of life they should have from then on.

• Like 9
Sophie's Haven

One good thing from this is 5 little souls are going to make it in this world...............Bless you Marlene for what you do!!!!

• Like 6
Missysmom

Wow, yes bless you for doing this Marlene, they will now get a chance for a 'normal' life because of you.

• Like 4
minabey

I wonder how it went?

I've got so many questions regarding research. I've read one time about beagles being used. Is it only beagles they use? If so, why this breed? And I'm also torn about this. I'd like to think the dogs were put down because they've had some side effects as a result of the testings done to them that would eventually cause them pain and suffering in the long run if there weren't put down and it was done as humanely as possible.

I'm not sure where I stand on animal testing because I don't know what the alternative would be to that - people testing? I mean, if mice were used, I don't have strong feelings for them. But bigger animals, cats, birds, dogs, monkeys - I think it's a cruel practice, but then I wonder how advance we would be without it being done in the past. 

Sorry, I know this unrelated. Now my brain hurts.

• Like 2
Marlene

It went...semi-OK.  

In trying to plan for the transport and what would be needed I was told...."the dogs are compatible" so we decided to go with my 2 large crates (Boxer size).

I was told the dogs were all about 1  -  noop they were all 2.

When I approached the facility I was directed to a call button asking what I was there for.  I explained to the person who was my contact and why I was there.  I was told to wait outside and she would be there....and she was.

We exchanged handshakes, she asked if there was more than just me for transport....I said No - just me.   I was directed to the back of the building.  I drove over there, they were ready and the hand-off went smoothly.  All males  2 in one crate 3 in the other.

I started off on my transport south and quite soon they were snarling, growling and barking.  Not good, but I was on a very busy multi-lane freeway and could only use my forceful "NO!!" and EH EH EH!

So....the trip was worrisome, with me being afraid someone was being hurt - but not in a position to pull over and check because of heavy traffic.

All in all it was OK - no dog was hurt (just a lot of domineering postures among young intact males.)

I worry about all the same things you do - but can only be glad those 5 were going to be re-homed.

• Like 4