None Stop Crying/Barking at night

SarahPoppy

Hi, I'm the proud owner of a little girl called Belle, we got her at 7 weeks as the owner was having a baby herself.

We have had her for a week now, crate training is going well during the day and she will go in herself, make herself comfy and have a nap. We reward that with a treat,

Night time is the major issue, the first few nights I made the mistake of coming down and checking she was okay when she cried. I let her have a cuddle cause she was so young and i felt sorry for her. Then she would go back to sleep. Then for 2 nights I didn't hear her cry and I got 2 nights sleep! Now it's back to the crying and barking. None stop for hours. I let her out for a wee but then she thinks it's play time and refuses to go back in her crate I have to keep putting her in.

I've covered the crate to make it cosy, put a ticking clock, soft toys, clothing, hot water bottle. I've tried ignoring her but she's so loud and doesn't give up. I don't really want to have the cage in my bedroom as my little girl sleeps with me and she will wake her up with the crying. 

Not sure if she crys when we leave the house during the day or not as I'm not here. I'm worried the neighbours will complain soon. Should I get a pen and put the crate in there and leave it open so she can go in and out? 

Any advice will be appreciated 

Thank you xx 

Snapchat-4543725609396476653.jpg

• Like 3
Crinkly

Hi, WELCOME

and she is GORGEOUS!!!

If I was a 7-8 week old pup I would cry if I was left alone at night.

- I am not criticising you.  The general idea has always been, put them in the kitchen, and ignore them, so they get used to it, hasn't it?  Get them used to where they will always sleep, from Day 1.

But now... I totally reject that idea.

Firstly (and again, no criticism to you) I don't think pups should leave their Mums until they are 10-12 weeks.  They are much more confident and resilient and able to cope with learning about separation by then.

Secondly, the natural state of a puppy, any puppy, is to be embedded and embraced in a pack.  Warmth, comfort, food, snuggles, games, exploring as a group... Mum or Aunties always around as baby sitters... Isolation for 8 hrs a night in a separate room is... kind of their worst nightmare.  And they are not equipped to cope at that age.  They are also programmed to call to Mum for help when they find themselves trapped, alone and vulnerable.  And the distress of Mum not answering must be awful.

Dogs bond with the pack by scent.  Being shut away means less bonding, and possibly more separation anxiety in later life.

Thirdly, I think that Shih Tzus are more vulnerable to needing companionship than many other breeds.  They have been bred for it.

We have a pen in the corner of the bedroom.  It has a plastic floor, bars you can see and sniff through, water, toys, a nice snuggly bed, puppy pads, is within sight and smell of us.  Cato (and later Tara) did a bit of whining - cos of course they want to be on the bed with you (they are used to snuggling against Mum and the rest of the puppy pile) - but they settled down fast, and it is a nightly routine now.  They get carried upstairs (Cato's legs are too short for the stairs) and are popped into their pen.  We get ready for bed.  They watch.  We say goodnight.  The lights go off.  We all go to sleep.

I don't pretend to know all the answers, and I recognise that we may have been extraordinarily lucky, but in Cato's first 6 months, we only had about 4 disturbed nights.  And every single one of them was cos of a bout of diarrhoea.  Tara, being rather more attention seeking, was more troublesome.  Maybe 10 disturbed nights.  No diarrhoea, just 'Mum, I am awake and would like to PLAY.  We ignored her for a few mins, and she went back to sleep.  We have NEVER had screaming, distress, panic or upset.  They just want to be with you.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add: Mr C works shifts, and he really needs his sleep for a safety critical job.  So for both pups, I slept downstairs with them on the living room floor for the first few days.  They in crates.  Me on a mattress next to them.  Once I knew they weren't going to have hysterics or fuss and stuff, we all moved upstairs with Mr C.  The whole pack together.

• Like 8
PipsMom

:welcomeani: Sarah and Belle. You've been given excellent advice so I won't repeat...... Belle is a beautiful little girl, congratulations 

• Like 4
beebalm
1 hour ago, Crinkly said:

If I was a 7-8 week old pup I would cry if I was left alone at night.

- I am not criticising you.  The general idea has always been, put them in the kitchen, and ignore them, so they get used to it, hasn't it?  Get them used to where they will always sleep, from Day 1.

But now... I totally reject that idea.

Firstly (and again, no criticism to you) I don't think pups should leave their Mums until they are 10-12 weeks.  They are much more confident and resilient and able to cope with learning about separation by then.

Secondly, the natural state of a puppy, any puppy, is to be embedded and embraced in a pack.  Warmth, comfort, food, snuggles, games, exploring as a group... Mum or Aunties always around as baby sitters... Isolation for 8 hrs a night in a separate room is... kind of their worst nightmare.  And they are not equipped to cope at that age.  They are also programmed to call to Mum for help when they find themselves trapped, alone and vulnerable.  And the distress of Mum not answering must be awful.

Dogs bond with the pack by scent.  Being shut away means less bonding, and possibly more separation anxiety in later life.

Thirdly, I think that Shih Tzus are more vulnerable to needing companionship than many other breeds.  They have been bred for it.

Good morning Crinkly,

Just had to let you know that the advice you gave is so nicely and tastefully written - bravo :thumb:

And Belle is adorable :baby: 

• Like 7
Missysmom

Welcome Sarah and Belle, so glad you joined us! Belle is Gorgeous! I too agree with Jo's advice, and also kept Missy in her cage in the bedroom covered at night until she could sleep in her own or our bed. It's also a great time to start teaching Belle whatever nighttime command you want to use. I always told Missy time to go 'nite nite' and now it's automatic she goes to her bed and to sleep with her command.

• Like 6
ParadiseTzu

Welcome Sarah, and Belle is a cutie, pretty color. And I too agree with Crinkly. Mine slept in a crate beside me at night where I could touch them for reassurance if needed. There was never any crying at night that way so she most likely will not disturb your little girl.  As they get older, you can move the crate somewhere else in the room or have her sleep with you and your little girl. 

• Like 6
Amy0515
9 hours ago, SarahPoppy said:

Hi, I'm the proud owner of a little girl called Belle, we got her at 7 weeks as the owner was having a baby herself.

We have had her for a week now, crate training is going well during the day and she will go in herself, make herself comfy and have a nap. We reward that with a treat,

Night time is the major issue, the first few nights I made the mistake of coming down and checking she was okay when she cried. I let her have a cuddle cause she was so young and i felt sorry for her. Then she would go back to sleep. Then for 2 nights I didn't hear her cry and I got 2 nights sleep! Now it's back to the crying and barking. None stop for hours. I let her out for a wee but then she thinks it's play time and refuses to go back in her crate I have to keep putting her in.

I've covered the crate to make it cosy, put a ticking clock, soft toys, clothing, hot water bottle. I've tried ignoring her but she's so loud and doesn't give up. I don't really want to have the cage in my bedroom as my little girl sleeps with me and she will wake her up with the crying. 

Not sure if she crys when we leave the house during the day or not as I'm not here. I'm worried the neighbours will complain soon. Should I get a pen and put the crate in there and leave it open so she can go in and out? 

Any advice will be appreciated 

Thank you xx 

Snapchat-4543725609396476653.jpg

Hi there and Welcome to both you and Belle! She is a beautiful pup!  Jo has given you excellent advice.  I totally agree with her.  Good Luck! 

• Like 5
SarahPoppy

Thank you for all of your advice, it's much appreciated. Going to give it a go with her next to my bed so she knows I'm there xx 

• Like 6
Amy0515

Good luck, Sarah!  I'm sure you will get it worked out.  I know when my two are close I sleep better knowing they are comfy and happy.  

• Like 5
Luna

Welcome, Sarah and Belle.  I think you have received good advice thus far and I'm sure you'll get the issue worked-out.  We keep our puppies here until they are 12 weeks and new owners generally don't have as many issues as people who get puppies that are younger.  One thing I DO advise is that you expose Belle to everything you possibly can over the next few weeks - the period between 8-12 weeks is a prime socialization period and puppies need to be exposed to as many people and things as possible (including playing with other dogs), because otherwise they often have behavior problems later-on.

• Like 8
SarahPoppy
44 minutes ago, Luna said:

Welcome, Sarah and Belle.  I think you have received good advice thus far and I'm sure you'll get the issue worked-out.  We keep our puppies here until they are 12 weeks and new owners generally don't have as many issues as people who get puppies that are younger.  One thing I DO advise is that you expose Belle to everything you possibly can over the next few weeks - the period between 8-12 weeks is a prime socialization period and puppies need to be exposed to as many people and things as possible (including playing with other dogs), because otherwise they often have behavior problems later-on.

I've had loads of friends and family round meeting her and lots of noises and stuff. She has her 2nd jabs next week am I right in thinking she needs these before she can see other dogs? X

• Like 3