Overnight oats

Summerangel

Wanted to share a recipe with you. It's really yummy.. Well, I think so anyway. 

d649187e56268acddaf3532b3d4e788f.jpg

I love this one too 

331d571b7edbf281ff9f2dacad3ddb72.jpg

• Like 6
Sophie's Haven

I can not go a morning without the overnight oats..........they are yummy and you can add a variety of things to them.....thanks Julia for bringing this recipe to my attention. I will be giving the baked oats a try,,,,,,,,,,,,but the overnight oats are so quick and easy to prepare and in the morning breakfast is already made....that is the best part other then it taste good.............:clap:

• Like 5
Summerangel

Just made mine ready for breakfast tomorrow. Paws got to lick the yogurt spoon.. Yum, yum. 

Anybody had experience making their own yogurt? I've bought an Easiyo yogurt maker and you buy the dried powder in the packets to make up a litre of yogurt. It taste lovely. But I wondered if there's a way without using the packets. 

• Like 4
PipsMom

I use to do the Easio too at one time too but haven't made it for ages.

Funny you ask about homemade.....I saved this as a Pin on Pinterest several nights ago wanting to give it a try since you use store bought pots as a starter and crock pot easy it sounds like...Have a look around the site and you may find others...sounds interesting 

http://frugalitygal.com/2015/02/crockpot-yogurt-recipe.html

• Like 4
Crinkly

If you have an easiyo maker, you can use it to make ordinary yog - just fill the container with room temperature milk, a tablespoon milk powder and a tablespoon of live yog.  Makes great yog.  Don't need a sachet of Easiyo.  I even did it with soya milk a few times...

• Like 5
Summerangel

I'm so glad I asked now. I'd rather make it all myself. 

Yes ive bought the Easiyo maker, so I'll have a try at making my own.. 

I love yogurt. 

• Like 4
Missysmom

Ooh soo glad you mentioned this as I was looking to get a yougurt maker, love the crockpot option too!

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

One question.........the crock pot way of making it takes a long time to process does this machine make the yogurt faster? 

• Like 3
Summerangel

Mine takes 8 to 12 hours . The Easiyo maker is a bit like an insulated flask. 

Heres a link. https://www.easiyo.com/the-easiyo-system/index.html

i don't really want to use the packets, so I'm going to try Jo's recipe. 

I've found this recipe, it's like Jo's. This is with UHT milk. Not really keen on UHT

so I'm wondering if you have to use this for a reason, or can I use fresh skimmed milk? 

http://www.instructables.com/id/Yogurt-using-the-Easiyo-system-UHT-milk/

• Like 4
Crinkly

I guess the only way to find out would be to try it both ways and see which you prefer.

From what I remember, the thickness/texture of the yog is largely dependent on how much milk powder you put in.  So if it comes out runny, then double the milk powder next time...

I did this years ago (am lazy and usually use the Easiyo Greek Yog sachets now), but I was using either goats milk or soya milk, with powdered goats milk as the additive.  They all turned out fine, so it really is adaptable.

Good luck!

• Like 4
minabey

Soooo, I've tried the overnight oats but with mangoes. I don't know what I did wrong. Should I have added milk in the morning to dilute it a little? 

• Like 2
Summerangel
6 hours ago, minabey said:

Soooo, I've tried the overnight oats but with mangoes. I don't know what I did wrong. Should I have added milk in the morning to dilute it a little? 

I use yogurt.

I start with a little layer of yogurt 1/3 of the yogurt, place a small amount of fruit, sprinkle half the oats, then the other 1/3 of yogurt and then fruit, last of the oats, the last 1/3 of the yogurt and top with fruit. Cover if not in a jar and pop in the fridge overnight and enjoy in the morning. 

I don't mix together before eating as i like the different texture. But it does suggest to mix and then eat. 

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

When I make mine I do 1/3 cup oats and pour 1/3 cup 2% milk over oats......then I layer........with 1/3 cup frozen  blueberries, 1/2 sliced banana, handful of chopped pecans and drizzle with raw honey........I don't mix either........I place mine in a small wide mouth mason jar........looks so pretty you almost don't want to eat it.......I also freeze my fruit.......like blueberries, blackberries or raspberries..........so when they defrost they give off some juice to the oats..........yummy!!!!  I put yogurt in place of milk in the husbands as he does not like milk on his oatmeal but still has the same texture after setting overnight in the frig..........

• Like 4
Pawz4me

Every time I see this thread title I read it as "Overnight cats."

I think know it's time to get my eyes checked. :laugh:

• Like 5
Summerangel
10 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Every time I see this thread title I read it as "Overnight cats."

I think know it's time to get my eyes checked. :laugh:

:roflmao: you made me chuckle 

On 16 May 2016 at 4:44 PM, Crinkly said:

I guess the only way to find out would be to try it both ways and see which you prefer.

From what I remember, the thickness/texture of the yog is largely dependent on how much milk powder you put in.  So if it comes out runny, then double the milk powder next time...

I did this years ago (am lazy and usually use the Easiyo Greek Yog sachets now), but I was using either goats milk or soya milk, with powdered goats milk as the additive.  They all turned out fine, so it really is adaptable.

Good luck!

I tried it. I used 3 tablespoons of milk powder, that wasn't enough it was runny yogurt. On the plus side. It tastes really nice!! Yum. 

So I'll double the powder next time. 

• Like 5
Crinkly

Aha!  So now you have drinking yoghurt.

blitz it up with some berries, and glug.

yum!

• Like 3
Summerangel
25 minutes ago, Crinkly said:

Aha!  So now you have drinking yoghurt.

blitz it up with some berries, and glug.

yum!

Great minds.. Just done that with mixed frozen berries... Mmmm mmmmm 

• Like 4
minabey

The yogurt was thick and I mixed it up before I kept it in the fridge. I topped it with the fruit before I ate it and it was a bit dry.

I'll try this again and layer it, no mixing this time and maybe I'll add a tiny bit of milk if it's too thick. 

Thank you!:)

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
babybluegirl

I might have to try this, what "natural yoghurt" do you think is best to use - Greek yoghurt?  A yoghurt like Onken, or is it just personal preference?  The only yoghurts I normally eat, are those Muller ones with a section of yoghurt and a section of jam to scoop in :(  Not really familar with everything else.

Thanks.

babybluegirl

7:45am

• Like 2
Summerangel

If that's the only yogurt you like, then I would use that ?

• Like 2