Ciao, it seems I have a problem with my little friend Alvin, a 6 month old Shih Tzu. He's with me since 1 week, but he's not behaving like a puppy is supposed to... He is absolutely apathetic. When my wife and me try to get close to him, most of the time he is moving (not running) away and, when he doesn't move, he's like "if you wanna touch me, do it, but do it quickly". He doesn't show any interest in anything, he doesn't play with anything. The only thing he likes is to stay in the garden with our Golden Retriever, but also with him he doesn't play a lot.

We took him from a breeder and, there, he looked more active (not the kind of puppy biting and shaking the tail every 2 seconds anyway). 

Now we really don't know what to do... He just sleeps, lays on the floor, he doesn't shake his tail at all, never... No problems about feeding him and he's also not aggressive...

We are trying to motivate him playing with him (at least trying to...), but he really doesn't play...

Please, help me to understand

Thank you

Federico

• Like 4
Jo-Anne
11 hours ago, Bigupboo said:

Ciao, it seems I have a problem with my little friend Alvin, a 6 month old Shih Tzu. He's with me since 1 week, but he's not behaving like a puppy is supposed to.. he's like "if you wanna touch me, do it, but do it quickly".

We took him from a breeder and, there, he looked more active 

Welcome to the chatterfamily Bigupboo and Alvin 

At the breeders home surely you must of cuddled him and how was Alvins reaction? or was Alvin only "active" at the breeders..

he is 6 months old, allready a bit used to another home(breeder) and now 1 week he is  with you. Give him some time, some puppies just

need a little more time to adjust. Was he the only puppy left at the breeder..because it could help if they bring a nest/home toy or sock :D to help things go smooth

in his new forever home.

• Like 6
ParadiseTzu

Welcome Federico and Alvin. What is the temperature where you are located? My furbabies just lay around and sleep alot in the warmer months even tho we have an air conditioned home. And if I take them outside, they quickly find shade and sit down.  If the vet checked him and announced him healthy, maybe Alvin is just getting used to your household.  

Have you got any photos?  We love furbaby pics!

• Like 7
PipsMom

Pure speculation that being with his litter mates for 6 months and now suddenly rehomed he's feeling a little shock, scared, the  loss of his paw family confusion and adjusting to the outside world, and depressed ....that said, he's a wee baby and it will take time to adjust to human life with you. Don't compare Shih Tzu puppies with other breeds of dogs for they have a quite unique emotionally and growth cycle....They are like human baby's in many aspects. 

Being nervous about touch to his body I would think says he has not had a lot of affectionate human contact...cuddles, stroking, interacting and playing with humans....Everything is foreign to him and just like a baby you have to teach him those things as they are pleasurable not scarey. Slow and steady interactions, quite gentle voices and  lots of yummy treats will help you gain his trust. 

With no tail wagging and playing...don't push it..it will come as he matures and opens his heart to your family...Mine have never been real active players of toys till they were a year old...then not much then......but they are extremely affectionate and want nothing more than a good tummy rub and a cuddle.....They are companion dogs that love you endless and once he has settled down and learns humans are nice people to be around. 

I would think hot as its been this summer his listlessness is due to heat and he's limiting his activities to stay cool. 

Woud love to see a picture too ❤️

• Like 8
PipsMom

Alvin is lovely :cloud9:  Looking forward to hearing all about him as he grows up. We're always happy to help you will any questions you might have 

• Like 5
Crinkly

Hi and welcome!

All good advice above.  The only other thing I can think to suggest is to spend some time on you tube looking at dog body language videos, and dogs playing - particularly little dogs.

If you are used to a bigger, older dog, you may be missing some of the body language that little younger dogs give out.  It may give you some clues about his behaviour.

It may well take him a while to adjust after such a big shock and change of scene, and if he hasn't been used to much human contact, then that will take time too.  But I am sure he will settle in and learn to love his new home.

Does he come to you for treats?  That may be the road to his heart! :)

• Like 9
Summerangel

Hi Alvin, you look so cute. Is that your digging I can see in the garden ? ?

It looks like you have lots of nice shade In your garden too. 

I agree about the treats. My two love treats. 

• Like 6
Missysmom

Welcome Federico and Alvin, so glad you joined us! What a cutie Alvin is, love the pic!!

You've already gotten great advice, i just want to add that my Missy is more of what I call a 'lounge lizard', she's lounging around the majority of the day! Periodically she'll decide she may want to play but most of the time, especially in this heat she just lounges around like a little princess expecting to be waited on by her humans!  :hysterical: It's been like this for over 2 years now, so I wouldn't worry too much yet so long as he's healthy! :D

• Like 7
Jo-Anne
On 28-8-2016 at 3:32 PM, Missysmom said:

You've already gotten great advice, i just want to add that my Missy is more of what I call a 'lounge lizard', she's lounging around the majority of the day! Periodically she'll decide she may want to play but most of the time, especially in this heat she just lounges around like a little princess expecting to be waited on by her humans!  :hysterical: 

I have a  lounge lizard also...he lounges a lot that is his favourite hobby..sometimes he wants to play and yes his humans do have to get in action then..thanks Vicki for the perfect description..I recognized that immediately..put a big smile on my face a_plain.gif

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...