Scared of things-it's becoming a problem

9 minutes ago, ShihTzusAreCute said:

I am really sorry if I came off as defensive or aggressive or something by saying "What am I supposed to do?". Please keep in mind English is not my first language so I don't always immediately realise what I sound like.

You didn`t sound like that at all Roxana, don`t worry 738590b2ftdy227a.gif  Your English is much better than mine, and its not my native language either :blush: ..I always have tot think is this what I mean by writing it down like that..it is a lot more easy to write in Dutch  :D

• Like 5
Missysmom

Oh I didn't think that either Roxana. You all speak/write such good English I actually don't even remember it isn't your first language!

And I was wondering the same thing and watching for any answers cuz I too pick Missy up. My problem is I'm short and even the small dogs still can and do nip at her butt... :( I'm afraid it's just a reflex action with me and I'll never even remember to try to step between them, but I will try to remember to try that, if I don't panic and just grab her first, like Jo-Anne said so well, I'm just protecting my baby- as best I can! ;) 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, ShihTzusAreCute said:

I am really sorry if I came off as defensive or aggressive or something by saying "What am I supposed to do?". Please keep in mind English is not my first language so I don't always immediately realise what I sound like.

You're fine, and your English is great! I took it as a genuine question (which is why I launched into my (typical) long answer). :lol_2: 

It's a question I suspect every owner of a smallish dog wrestles with. There's just no right or wrong answer to it. You do the best you can under the circumstances of the moment. And hope and pray it turns out okay.

1 hour ago, Missysmom said:

Oh I didn't think that either Roxana. You all speak/write such good English I actually don't even remember it isn't your first language!

And I was wondering the same thing and watching for any answers cuz I too pick Missy up. My problem is I'm short and even the small dogs still can and do nip at her butt... :( I'm afraid it's just a reflex action with me and I'll never even remember to try to step between them, but I will try to remember to try that, if I don't panic and just grab her first, like Jo-Anne said so well, I'm just protecting my baby- as best I can! ;) 

Same here -- I'm super short and (at least for the moment) a fairly light weight. It wouldn't take much for a dog of any size to knock me down, especially if I were holding Yogi and his weight threw my center of balance off even a little. And I'd have to hoist him over my head to get him out of reach of even a medium sized dog. ;) On the whole I'd rather face an aggressor with Yogi behind me. Even if I hold onto his leash I've got one hand totally free and can move the other one quite a lot. I can also kick with either foot and not have his weight messing up my balance. I can let go of his leash and let him (hopefully) run away while I take on the dog. But I can understand that a taller, bigger person might make a different choice.

• Like 5