EllaBella

Hi all! I'm new here. I have my first shih tzu and she's 8 months old now. We also have two kids, a 3 year old and 9 month boys. So needless to say there's going to be toys laying around and there's nothing I can do about that. My question is how in the world do I stop the chewing?! I've never had a dog that was this hard to stop it. She had plenty of toys and bones to chew on, but she insists on chewing the boys instead. Every time I catch her with one I take it and tell her no then give her one of her toys or bones. 

Any other advice on what I should be doing? I know exercise helps, but since it's been staying around 10 degrees here, going outside and running around isn't an option. 

Thanks everyone!

• Like 5
Missysmom

Welcome Ella, so glad you've joined us and how exciting you have a new shih tzu! What's her name? When you get a chance please post a picture we'd love to see her!

i'm fortunate that all the toys are the pups so have no experience to help with your situation. But I do know the best chew 'toy' I had for our puppies was a frozen wet wash rag- yup just wet it, I used to ball it up to give her a challenge, then freeze it. Once frozen let her at it, kept ours occupied for hours and it doesn't wear out!

Am sure others will be on who have kids and can give you some advice. Enjoy your pup, they grow up Sooo fast!

• Like 4
Crinkly

Mine always had a constant supply of stinky dog chews - dried chicken and turkey feet (excellent for teething), pizzle sticks, dried tripe, meaty bones, pigs ears... all natural, all much more appealing than any dog toy we ever bought them.

This kind of thing   http://www.bestbullysticks.com/dog-treats-and-chews

We never had problems with them chewing furniture or shoes or skirting boards, although there was one single occasion when Tara left some toothmarks in the wooden hearth edge.  Never found out why!  But that was the only time.

• Like 4
Pawz4me

Okay, you say you've never had a dog who was this difficult with chewing. But let me take a guess that you've never had a puppy and two young boys (and their toys!) at the same time before either. Am I right?? :lol_2:

I laugh because I've been there done that.

Yes, when my oldest was 4.5 and my youngest was 1.5 I lost my mind and got a Brittany puppy. Now if you don't know about Brittanies--they're like the triathletes of the dog world. The go-on-a-ten-mile-run-and-then-play-fetch-for-three-hours kind of dogs. And then a nice long walk to top it off. The energy level and stamina is truly unbelievable. A Brittany puppy is at least one million times more challenging than a Shih Tzu (note I said "at least"--I tend to think I'm greatly under estimating ;)).

All that to say you can do it and you will survive. It will take a LOT of consistency. You have to take the boys' toys away from her every time you catch her and redirect her to her own toys (which need to be every bit as appealing as the boys' toys). Use it as a training opportunity -- every time you catch her with something she's not supposed to have use the "leave it" or "give" command so she learns to drop whatever she has. Our Britttany was rock solid in this command by the time he was a year old. He would have dropped a T-bone steak instantly if I told him to. :lol_2: And it can be a lifesaving command if they pick up something they're not supposed to have (dropped medication, etc.). So . . . . consistency and work on training every single time. And lots and lots of patience. ;) 

• Like 4
EllaBella

I haven't had two boys and a puppy! Lol but we did have a beagle puppy when my first was around a year, and then another when he was about 2. So I have had them with kids.. Just not two! Lol also having an Australian Shepherd as a kids with 3 brothers and didn't have this issue. Lol 

She is getting awesome at the drop it command! It's just taking so much patience! Thank you for the advice. I guess we'll just keep doing what were doing :)

• Like 3
  • 4 years later...
Marlene
On 1/7/2017 at 8:20 AM, Crinkly said:

Mine always had a constant supply of stinky dog chews - dried chicken and turkey feet (excellent for teething), pizzle sticks, dried tripe, meaty bones, pigs ears... 

My mind immediately flashes to the 9 month old finding smelly puppy chews yummy.

She is adorable and looks like an angel.