Terrible Terrier Pupsitting

Marlene

Luka is going to come and stay with us for a week while his foster family is out of town.  Just want Luka the Terrier to know I'm not a pushover!  Our first family dog, Daisy was a Terrier/Beagle mix.........the Beagle wanted to roam and the Terrier was smart enough to figure out how to do it.  She lived into her 18th year and was the smartest, naughtiest dog we ever had.  Such a character - so many Daisy stories.  For the most part I bumfudged most of her escapades, she got LOTS of exercise (we were both runners back then)  and had 2 daughters to give her tail haircuts and dress her up in tutus and marry her off to the Chihuahua next door.

Tomorrow I'm doing a transport, driving to Southern California to pick up 3 Boxers, deliver them back north to San Jose, Ca and then meet Luka's foster family for the hand-off.  Should be fun :dog::bounce:

"Luka is a 9-year-old, 57-pound Terrier mix who is fit as a fiddle from his velvety black ears to the little white tip of his tail. He's a lovable, affectionate and gentle guy who excitedly "talks" when it's time to go for a walk. For an older guy, he's energetic, easy going and flexible and could be a family dog or part of a bigger pack. He could also be a hiking buddy or just a pal around town. 

Luka is house-trained and he knows basic commands. You can even use hand signals (sit, stay, down, come) to get him to behave. He knows how to shake hands, too! Luka is a happy boy who loves to hang out with the family at the end of the day. He loves belly rubs, head scratches and lots of "atta boys." Luka adores other dogs and would love to have one or two in his future family."

Yikes - just realized he's 57 lbs!  That's a big terrier!  We try to pupsit smaller dogs but I'm sure we'll be OK....he's 9 yrs old.

luka081616sm.jpg

• Like 8
ParadiseTzu

He's a cutie and sounds like a lot of fun!

• Like 7
PipsMom

A 57 pound terrier :o Take two Tylenols before he takes you for walkies :wacko:

:chickendance: Just funning..hope you have a wonderful time baby sitting

• Like 5
Marlene

Luka is "in the house"!  He is settling in and I know will relax even more after he goes for a long evening walk.
He has claimed me as "HIS MAMA"!  They always do and I'll let him think that for a little while and then we'll let him know there is enough Mama to go around and he can't have me all to himself :-)
He gobbled down his dinner w/thyroid and I'll look over his other meds when things quiet down a bit more.
I think he is quite smitten with Sophie, our Boxer.  Keeps licking her ears and face.  She is accepting it but wants to play.....they will have to figure out "what the game will be".

He looks like an Irish Wolfhound but of course not that big.

He is out for a walk with the Big Guy and Sophie.  The newbies always glom onto me and are suspicious of my husband.......but after they find out he is a walking maniac, he moves up in the ranks.

• Like 7
Summerangel
5 hours ago, Marlene said:

Luka is "in the house"!  He is settling in and I know will relax even more after he goes for a long evening walk.
He has claimed me as "HIS MAMA"!  They always do and I'll let him think that for a little while and then we'll let him know there is enough Mama to go around and he can't have me all to himself :-)
He gobbled down his dinner w/thyroid and I'll look over his other meds when things quiet down a bit more.
I think he is quite smitten with Sophie, our Boxer.  Keeps licking her ears and face.  She is accepting it but wants to play.....they will have to figure out "what the game will be".

He looks like an Irish Wolfhound but of course not that big.

He is out for a walk with the Big Guy and Sophie.  The newbies always glom onto me and are suspicious of my husband.......but after they find out he is a walking maniac, he moves up in the ranks.

As always it sounds like you know exactly what you're doing. I love how you both have your special things that you do for them. 

Awwwww licking Sophie's ears and face. Bless him ? 

• Like 5
Marlene

Luka slept in the guest room with Shorty and I.....he immediately hopped on the bed (he sleeps in a laundry room at his home) and was quite befuddled when I told him he had to get down!  He had his big round bed and slept quietly through the night - he doesn't snore :thumbup:.  He checked on me a couple of times through the night, bonking his big heavy head on the side of the bed to see if I'd re-thought letting him up.  Nope!  He's too big.  He's very "maleish" clumsy, pushy.......like a bull in a china shop but he's got charm and does listen pretty well.

I think he and Sophie will play today.....they started to earlier but then breakfast was served and now they are having their morning pre-walk nap.  Good!

• Like 6
Missysmom

Oh my gosh Luka is one handsome fella! So sweet he likes Sophie, would love to see them playing! Sounds like it will be a great visit! 

• Like 3
Marlene

If Luka were in the movies, he would be a character actor........with a name like Moose (his face and nose look like a moose), Grizzley Adams, Rooster Cogburn.  He's pretty funny and pretty good.  He lives for walks and tries to convince me every 15 minutes he has to go potty.  In his defense he IS at the end of Pred and is drinking a lot......but mostly he wants to mosey around.  Hey!  Mosey would be a good name for him :wiggle2:

• Like 5
Sophie's Haven

I must say if your going to have a houseguest Luka sounds like a perfect gentle paw.......I wonder if they look at it like a Holiday at the Doggie Bed and Breakfast. Marlene what a great business idea for you......I would come help decorate......doggie doors in every door inside and outside.......fashionable doggie beds.....doggie tables just their height and a massive play room.......the perfect doggie garden with a doggie wading pond....the ideas are endless.  I am here when your ready Marlene........:tracy:

• Like 5
Sophie's Haven

Imagine a Doggie Bed and Breakfast in an English Cottage with a lush garden......how quaint.  I say one in the English country side and one on the California coast.......the best of both worlds......stop and think all the caretaker would have to do is provide a good meal and keep a watch full eye on the paws as they would be so busy sniffing the wonderful scents and napping after a good meal only to get up and start all over again..........

• Like 3
Missysmom

Oooh Missy can't wait for the grand opening! She wants to know if Bailey will be the host here and Shorty the host there!! ;) 

• Like 2
Marlene
2 hours ago, Sophie's Haven said:

Imagine a Doggie Bed and Breakfast in an English Cottage with a lush garden......how quaint.  I say one in the English country side and one on the California coast.......the best of both worlds......stop and think all the caretaker would have to do is provide a good meal and keep a watch full eye on the paws as they would be so busy sniffing the wonderful scents and napping after a good meal only to get up and start all over again..........

LOL - that's basically what they do.  Although it is a "healthy" getaway so there are walks.....lots of walks.  Also sight-seeing excursions in the SUV......driving through town, checking out a new place, waiting in the car while said caretaker(s) shop for more glorious meal supplies or sometimes feed themselves.  When they feed themselves they always bring back a bite of what they had for the "client-guests".

I want to be a dog in my house when I come back from Heaven.......

(edit added) There is a service in Oregon (where we spend summer months) that drives a van to a meeting point (at the beach) picks up clients' dogs who meet them there and spend the day.....running on the beach, hiking around creeks and streams (they are everywhere in Oregon), going back to "the ranch" for naps, play, food and then brought back to meeting place at the end of the day for "parents" to pick up.  Day care/pre-school for dogs!

• Like 5