Help with toilet training

Minniemoos mom

I ladies and gents,been awhile and our Minnie moo is now 6 months old and what a fun 6 months it's been :) 

all has been going well but we have been away for 2 weeks and Minnie stayed at a lovely ladies house while away and she has been doing great with training only had 3 accidents in the whole 2 weeks,I picked her up yesterday and decided to take the puppy pads away,I know she is still a baby but as she's not been using while we were away I thought it would be ok.but last night she did 2 poo's and 1 wee in the bedroom and 2 poo's and wee's in the house so far today :( I've put a puppy pad by the back door over night but obviously didn't use it and my back doors been open allday :( 

so my question is should i start again with puppy pads and gradually take them away?

just unsure if I should use them again or not?

• Like 2
PipsMom

I would agree that they were taken away to abruptly....its a gradual thing to get them to go outside totally, that can take months in my case at least. I still leave one down for "uh oh I cant hold it in the middle of the night" emergencies or its raining and I don't want to get wet moments. Minnie Moo sounds like she is very smart and she is a joy....just go slow and she will catch on since she already showed she's capable of understanding.

Since you have been away for two weeks also consider it will take a bit of time to re adjust to your house again and if she smells where she had early accidents  even though you cant see or smell them she can and will revisit those places. 

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...
Pawz4me

The common belief among experts (veterinarian behaviorists and top trainers) is that dogs don't generalize well. Which means that what a dog knows or does in one situation won't necessarily carry over to another location or situation.

Was the lady she stayed with a pet sitter/dog boarder, or does she have dogs of her own? If so I bet a big part of MinnieMoo's success there was (1) doing what her new dog friends were doing and (2) wanting to go out and smell all the new and fabulously interesting (to her) smells. Those are powerful incentives. Her own home is familiar and lacks those incentives.

So yes, I'd go back to the puppy pads or whatever you were doing previously that was having some success. And then transition very gradually (over at least several weeks or even months, as PipsMom said) to her going outside all the time.

And be aware that you might have to go backwards even more than just putting the pads back down. You might have to go backwards a couple of months and do some re-training in terms of closer supervision, crating her whenever you can't watch her and/or she hasn't peed/pooped in awhile, etc. A short refresher course of Housebreaking 101.

• Like 1