16yr old Health Problems

Guest Sheena

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to find someone with similar experiences.

Missy is 16 & has been an extremely healthy Shih Tzu til now. Over this past year she has become more lethargic with her age. She has wee bit of wear & tear in her legs but has a strong heart.

On Friday past Missy stopped eating, breathing began to get very laboured & seemed to be using her stomach to do so.

After visit to vet they confirmed her heart is in good shape, lungs are in poor condition, they think she has urea which would count towards her recent bad breath.

Missy was admitted yesterday to vets for further tests. Tests didn't uncover anything new. She is much the same, not eating & breathing laboured. Been on drip & antibiotics. Starting steroids today. They cud do further tests but would mean putting her under anaesthetic which could b dangerous due to her breathing difficulties. So in the meantime that's not an option. She will get home today & will see how she gets on over the next week with drugs.

Has anyone else had similar lung problems with their Shih Tzu?

Missysmom

Welcome Sheena and Missy, i’m so sorry to hear of Missy’s health problems. Please go ahead and set up an account, your post can only be seen by staff right now. There are a lot of people with experience here and hopefully once they can see your post someone can help out.

Crinkly

Oh, goodness!  Poor little love.

I have no suggestions at all, except to say that I hope she responds to the medication and feels better once she is home.  It really does make a huge difference being in your own bed, with all the home smells, and the people you love.

Please let us know how she gets on?

missy dawn

So sorry to hear this... I cant offer any advice because I am not familiar with this condition. I will be adding your baby to my prayers

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your kind words & prayers.  Missy passed away on Wednesday night.  She was my first furbaby & this has been the most heart breaking experience.  We are totally devastated, I can' even put into words my hurt.

Thank you all,

Sheena

Missysmom

I am so very sorry Sheena, you don't need words, we've unfortunately all been there and know just what you mean. Keeping you in my prayers. Hugs:throb:

Marlene

Understanding hugs......most of us have been there.  It's always hard but when we lost our first Boxer Katie, I was devestated.  I understood why people marry too soon after the death of a spouse.  Why couples get pregnant right away after losing a child.  There is such pain.....it's unbearable.  Hugs

• Like 1
Sunlite

So sorry for your loss, Sheena. I want you to know that you can still join and post your memories of Missy... Hugs to you.

Summerangel

So sorry to hear of the loss of your baby. It’s so heartbreaking. My thoughts are with you . Hugs 

• Like 1