I am not sleeping in that crate!!!

Hi there everyone - my little princess is now 3 months old and in the last 6-7 weeks since bringing her home she has slept in her crate maybe 3 nights.  Yup thats it - she is a smart little manipulative creature and would purposely soil her crate because she somehow knew i  was not changing her bed at 3am - so she spent about a

month on the couch with me but my back was begging for a mattress so my husband built her a bed which she stays in for half the night then ends up in bed with us. Is this a bad bad thing? Lol we adore her and she is so cute and cuddly we can not hear my little girl cry -  we broke her LOL we are also bringing her to Florida next week and not the crate so I know she will be in our bed anyway. How many of your babies sleep in your beds?? 

Ellie’s sleigh bed that daddy made for her LOL 

DCFE6F31-36BB-4149-83B4-BA31011599AA.png

• Like 4
Jo-Anne

Hi Paola, what a great bed daddy made for Ellie, love it. How many babies do NOT sleep in our beds? :ohyeah: My Tzu slept downstairs at first, but not for long. He was just to alone, was sad. Now he sleeps belly up in the big bed and is happy, and snores! On the Dutch forum many Tzu`s are in the big bed too, they crawl into your neck and armpit. It is rather an exeption when they are not. And imo if you feel it is good for your Ellie its is okay to do that. They are really just babies, like to be with their family so much. My Tzu follows me around all day, I just couldn`t say you are staying downstairs on your own to him, when we went to bed at night, that didn`t feel right at all.

• Like 5
Pawz4me

I love that bed!

Yogi has slept with us since he was old enough that I was relatively sure he wouldn't accidentally fall off the bed. I don't exactly remember how old that was, but. . a few months. I woke early this morning with him stretched out between me and DH, his head resting on my arm. So snuggly and cozy!

But, a couple of things -- I really, really doubt she was soiling her crate on purpose. IME dogs just don't do things like that, and especially not such young puppies. At three months old she is still very, very much a baby and can't be expected to have much in the way of bowel or bladder control. My guess is that the crate was big enough that she didn't really see it as her den, or that she was simply too young to hold it all night, or that she was being fed a bit too late in the evening.

The other thing is -- I'm a firm believer that all dogs should be crate trained, and should be kept familiar with crating throughout their lives. If she ever needs to stay at the vet's she'll be in what is essentially a large crate. If she ever injures herself and her activity needs to be limited she'll probably need to be crated some. So I really firmly believe in acclimating dogs to crates, even if they don't sleep in them or stay in them while you're gone.

• Like 4

Pawz I know my other dogs all went into the crate and loved it - she would just cry and cry and then start barking and i would take her outside and put her back in and not ten minutes later she would start up again and then pee I still have the crate and I leave the door open and when she walks by it she stops and closes the door and keeps walking hahaha 

i saw the bed my husband made on wayfair and he had it built within 2 days - he loves this little sassy brat so much he does not bat an eye at how spoiled she is -

the other night we all fell asleep in front of the tv - he left me on the couch all night took his little girl and took her up to bed (my side of the bed)! LOL 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
Jo-Anne
18 minutes ago, PipsMom said:

Mine have always slept in the bed Lol 

Pip and Abby :throb: :throb:   Tzu`s  do like to snuggle up. Our Tzu knows when its bedtime at night before I do, 15 minutes before we go up he is in front of the stairs waiting to be picked up, ready to go to  his bed. 

• Like 5
Missysmom

Oh my goodness what a gorgeous bed your daddy made you Ellie! You are daddy’s girl for sure! ;) 

both of ours sleep in the bed now! Missy wouldn’t at first, but she didn’t sleep in the crate either, she slept in her bed on the floor on my side. Took about a year for her to sleep on the bed, but now Missy takes up the majority of my side of the bed and I get about a quarter of the bed! If I try to get more space she kicks me hard, the little devil!

Molly has slept on the bed beside her daddy from day one! The two of them snore like Crazy, they’re a good match! :laugh:

• Like 6
Marlene

I am a failure......for years and years I have advocated "dogs not be allowed on the furniture and dogs have their own bed.  But we have owned Boxers for over 30 years and one of them in the bed is like a third person......especially when they form the cross-bar of an *H* with hubby and me making the straight legs.  Also have had a series of dogs with incontinence problems.  Then along came Shorty G who happily, willingly and quietly slept through the night in a crate.  

So.....Boxers are allowed on the furniture when invited but it is OUR furniture.  OK - they get invited a lot but do have a cushy warmed bed with pillow and blankie.  Shorty G really has no interest in the furniture because our laps are his furniture and *I* was like a little kid sneaking him into bed and loving it and so he accomodates ME LOL!  But he happily sleeps on a floor pad sometimes.

• Like 6
Crinkly

We started off with Cato in a pen in the corner of the bedroom.  18 months later Tara joined us.

and 6 months later, they are both on the bed.

STILL don’t know quite how it happened...  i THINK it was a mistake.   Mr C was out on a late shift.  I let the dogs onto the bed (as usual) for 15 mins before putting them into the pen.  And then I fell asleep, by accident.  And then Mr C came home and left them on the bed all night.  The fool.

and that was it.  They’ve been in the big bed with us every night for the last 2 years.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Haha blame it all on him poor guy who is not here to defend himself lol

my husband loves it that she is in our bed (secretly)

we keep poking her to find the reset button because our puppy is broken LOL spoiled like none other we have had - 

• Like 5
  • 3 months later...

I lasted about 7 days before I let Dexter sleep in bed with me. He didn't like being in his crate at night and has been a good boy sleeping with me. He wakes me up with kisses when he needs to go potty at night, I am a pretty light sleeper so I get up a lot at night and take him out. He does most of his pooping at night, but just about always outside, just about. 

IMG_20190405_160920354.jpg

• Like 4
Ellie18

Once they are in that big comfy bed there is no going back. I have to wake mine up in the mornings and she buries her head and puts her paws over her eyes (so maybe I can’t see her? ) lol she is so lazy - but I will admit that when she puts her little face on the pillow next to me I do not want it any other way 

Dexter is so cute! 

• Like 2
Sunlite

We have all 5 with us on the bed. Dean and myself are not slender either and it's only a queen, not king. It gets tight but everyone finds their spot. Usually it's me crunched up into a quarter of a bed... 

Dean gets up at 3:45 am for work and you'd think they'd move over? No! But I love those snuggly faces!

• Like 3
Marlene

Usually when one bed mate gets up......the dog(s) just sprawl and take up any empty space you might have had.

• Like 2