Hello everyone. Just joined and look forward to learning lots of cool info here about our fur babies. 

Our doggy Meeshu is 8 months old and she’s scared of wind. Windy days and nights have her wildin out. 

Any ideas or things we can do to stop this. Her crate is connected to her pen and she has her favorite alpaca friend with her. Soft blankets. We just don’t know what to do. Usually when she is afraid of something we show it to her and she seems to be okay, but we can’t show her wind. We take her outside and she seems fine. She likes the wind in her face lol. 

Many help would be awesome. Thank you!

• Like 3
Jo-Anne

Hi Meeshu, what a lovely name you have, and only 8 months old how exiting :dog:

I have a Tzu that is scared of the wind inside the house. When it is during the day I play some music. During the night he is in the big bed, with an extra quilt.

image.png.f177f9f39594935c3f290373d3090847.png

• Like 2

Gracias for the reply! We se going to try the radio during the day. We’ve played jazz for her before and she seems to like it. 

When en hoy say big bed, do you mean bed you sleep in with you? Or just a hug dog bed on the floor with lots of blankets??

• Like 2
Sophie's Haven

Welcome to the forum..........Meeshu is a sweet name.  My Sophie is just about afraid of any type of noise and has been for years......she will be 11 this June. Over the years I have tried just about everything over the counter medication that is safe for dogs to listening to music.  Everyone of my radios in our house has a Kenny G CD in it for easy listening and it seems to help a great deal.  What really has worked for me and I must confess when this item was talked about in the past on the forum I poo poo it off, more due to the expense but last fall I was in Lowe's and they had their diffusers were on clearance and so I purchased one and it WORKS. I  have 2  now and use Lavender oil  in them and run them twice a day and it calms not only Sophie but even the other ones who have no noise issues seem more relaxed. Might be worth a try. Keep us posted on what you end up finding that works plus we like lots of pictures here too.

• Like 2
Jo-Anne

Meeshu has good taste, she likes jazz :bear: Maybe it will help the radio, do hope so.

YES! :D I am talking about my bed, nice and warm. He likes that very much,gives him just a little extra comfort being real close to you. They love that Tzu`s, their just little babies.

p.s.he also has a  huge dog bed on the floor with lots of blankets, and another dogbed in the corner. I know to much to much :cheezy:

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Sophie's Haven said:

Welcome to the forum..........Meeshu is a sweet name.  My Sophie is just about afraid of any type of noise and has been for years......she will be 11 this June. Over the years I have tried just about everything over the counter medication that is safe for dogs to listening to music.  Everyone of my radios in our house has a Kenny G CD in it for easy listening and it seems to help a great deal.  What really has worked for me and I must confess when this item was talked about in the past on the forum I poo poo it off, more due to the expense but last fall I was in Lowe's and they had their diffusers were on clearance and so I purchased one and it WORKS. I  have 2  now and use Lavender oil  in them and run them twice a day and it calms not only Sophie but even the other ones who have no noise issues seem more relaxed. Might be worth a try. Keep us posted on what you end up finding that works plus we like lots of pictures here too.

Thank you for the reply! We will look into diffusers. Maybe it’ll help. She’s so cute but dang when she unhappy she’s loud lol

2 minutes ago, Jo-Anne said:

Meeshu has good taste, she likes jazz :bear: Maybe it will help the radio, do hope so.

YES! :D I am talking about my bed, nice and warm. He likes that very much,gives him just a little extra comfort being real close to you. They love that Tzu`s, their just little babies.

p.s.he also has a  huge dog bed on the floor with lots of blankets, and another dogbed in the corner. I know to much to much :cheezy:

I‘my wife and I are generally bigger than average people. We have some allergies too so we don’t want little baby Meeshu in the bed. We’re afraid we’d crush her and the bed is high. She doesn’t have madd jumping skills either lol. Some of our soft throws have become hers now as she’s “claimed” they lol but even with the wind/noise she’s still going crazy. 

• Like 2
Missysmom

Welcome to you and Meeshu, when you have a chance please  post a picture, we’d love to see her!

i too play music all day, a smooth jazz station on the radio and I use a lavender spray to keep our babies calm when they need it. Here’s the lavender spray we use, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CNDOCO/ref=cm_wl_huc_continue

I love it, it calms me down too which is helpful since they key off my stress- even though it’s them that’s stressing me!:laugh: 

• Like 1
Marlene

OH - she is so cute!

Is it just the wooshing sound of wind or do you have ferocious, howling wind that makes the house rattle.

I have see the suggestion, when a dog is afraid of storms - to play tapes of the sound followed by a treat a few times a day.

Do you give her special attention when it's happening or act nonchalant and go about your business - even talking nonsense to her in a normal "no big deal" way?

• Like 1

It’s really any loud noises, just the wind keeps up during storms. I never thought of the idea of playing the sounds and giving treats, we’ll try that too. If we’re home she’s fine. She just lifts her head up and looks and then goes back to sleep. It’s when we’re gone or at night sleeping (she sleeps in living room in her crate/pen combo). At night if she barks in night and doesn’t stop we get up and take her out to use bathroom and go back to bed. That usually works, but if it’s windy like last night we had to get up several times and take her out of pen. Calm her and sit with her for a few and put her back in. She normally sleeps through the night. 

I think lately she was use to everyone being home for holiday and now that we’re back to work she’s wondering where everyone went. That combined with wind really ticked her off yesterday and today. 

• Like 1
Marlene

Think about letting her sleep in your room (crated) where you can touch the crate and make some soothing sounds - also I would cover her crate to make it more cave-like.

I have fostered a lot of puppies.  That's what I do with them - put them near my side of the bed and if they stir through the night, I rhythmically tap the crate and chant a soft sound.  They don't get wound up and go back to sleep quickly.  Hope that helps.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Marlene said:

Think about letting her sleep in your room (crated) where you can touch the crate and make some soothing sounds - also I would cover her crate to make it more cave-like.

I have fostered a lot of puppies.  That's what I do with them - put them near my side of the bed and if they stir through the night, I rhythmically tap the crate and chant a soft sound.  They don't get wound up and go back to sleep quickly.  Hope that helps.

Thanks Marlene! Appreciate it!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Missysmom said:

Oh my gosh is she a cutie, love all the pics!!:D

D899E89E-8053-4881-ABC9-9808D2723EE7.jpeg

7FBF4629-51C1-4BA1-BEA6-01D0BD85FEC9.jpeg

AC313C23-5C69-43B2-B439-026A90F880CB.jpeg

Still breezy last night, but only woke us once in the night! Lol. We tried tv when we went to bed and lit a lavender candle before bed. I think her neck donut is starting to bother her though. She was spayed last week and had an umbilical hernia fixed, so hopefully after she gets the donut off she’ll be on her way back to normal! Scent diffuser had been ordered too lol

• Like 4
Jo-Anne

Meeshu`s dad, do you know people can have a Shih-Tzu virus? :cheezy:we all have it on Chatter Tzu, and on the Dutch Shih-Tzu forum as well, and I think you allready got it to.We love them our Tzu`s, so we spoil them, only in a good way of course. :bear: Love all your pics Meeshu, we are getting spoiled here to. Glad she only woke you up once! Good girl. She is a very pretty black and white Tzu.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! She’s our little girl. She’s a diva but we love her! Her hair is so soft in the mornings and she comes out of her crate and lays her head in me and huffs and lays down. So cute! :cloud9:

• Like 3
Marlene
11 hours ago, Meeshu said:

D899E89E-8053-4881-ABC9-9808D2723EE7.jpeg

7FBF4629-51C1-4BA1-BEA6-01D0BD85FEC9.jpeg

AC313C23-5C69-43B2-B439-026A90F880CB.jpeg

Still breezy last night, but only woke us once in the night! Lol. We tried tv when we went to bed and lit a lavender candle before bed. I think her neck donut is starting to bother her though. She was spayed last week and had an umbilical hernia fixed, so hopefully after she gets the donut off she’ll be on her way back to normal! Scent diffuser had been ordered too lol

Oh goodness - has she had a "donut" through this time?  We can only be on "her side" for a few days" after that happens.  The only ones who hate those neck collars/donuts worse than the pups are their Dad and Mom.  I love the pic of her black and white fluffy self laying on your hairy leg.....in shorts.

Many years ago I sent a picture to my brother living in NJ of us (in California) mowing the lawn on a sunny day.  He retaliated w/a pic of him in his recliner eating popcorn, watching a FB game while it was snowing outside. - touche!

• Like 3

She’s been wearing the donut, but she’s been skiddish with noise for the last couple of months. 

Thank tou for the picture compliments. Your story was nice too! 

Luckily, she’s slept the last 2 nights (calm and no wind). Let’s go for 3 tonight lol and she gets donut off Thursday :banana:

• Like 4
Jo-Anne
On 1/13/2019 at 1:29 PM, Meeshu said:

She’s been wearing the donut, but she’s been skiddish with noise for the last couple of months. 

Thank tou for the picture compliments. Your story was nice too! 

Luckily, she’s slept the last 2 nights (calm and no wind). Let’s go for 3 tonight lol and she gets donut off Thursday :banana:

Maybe Meeshu heard a weird noise or so that got her scared these last couple of months, when she was alone downstairs in her crate. She wouldn`t be the first, and you not knowing how this happened as well.

How is Meeshu doing, bet she is real pleased that donut comes of today :bear:

• Like 2

We live in a ranch so she’s basically just in another room. But every noise her head pops up and she looks lol. She’s silly. She is very happy! She’s been good this past week (although she did wake up 30 mins early today) lol. What she needs is to go to the groomer! What a stinky squishy face! 

BFCA6ECA-5F4E-4DC8-A081-B77E8D6FD03F.jpeg

Also, if anyone wants to follow her on insta it’s MeeshutheShihtzu !

• Like 3

I don’t want to count my chickens before they’ve all hatched, but last night we used the air diffuser with some lavender and little baby Meeshu slept all night. I’m in Jersey, so we had crazy winds from the weekend storm. Not a peep. She was passed out :cloud9: :pepper: let’s see if it keeps up and thank you all for the help!!

• Like 3
Sophie's Haven

Glad the diffuser worked..........hopefully it will continue. Like I said before I pretty much thought it was going to be a waste of money but I was so wrong. We moved into a new house and before we moved we were getting up at 6 am every morning and so the paws got use to getting up early......once we moved and got settled in somewhat the hubby kept saying that we created monsters as they were like alarm clocks.......6 am every morning............... I plugged in the diffuser with lavender oil and now the time has change to 7 am and if we are lucky sometimes we make it to 7:30.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They are alarm clocks!!! I get 5:50 for work M-F and she will get me up between 5 and that time. I haven’t slept in since getting her lol. But I guess we get more bonding time :love:

• Like 3