Dexter does not like being on a leash

I have an 11 week old shih Tzu, he's been with me for 2 1/2 weeks now. He is doing great with most training but he is not into the leash. He usually just bites it and tries to play tug of war with me. I want him to be good for walks, right now it's more me walking and carrying him around. Any suggestions on breaking Dexter in on leash walking?

IMG_20190404_131506801_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Edited by Scox
Sp
PipsMom

Relax.....your boy is way too young to walk on a lead .......everything is play right now. .....Time will come soon enough 

Sunlite

Just keep trying, he'll get it eventually. Every dog differs but he is just a baby right now. 

• Like 2
Marlene
1 hour ago, Scox said:

How old do they usually start going on a leash?

He needs to have all his shots before you take him anywhere on leash.

Are you using a halter.......much safer for his tiny trachea and neck.

Until Shorty we have always had Boxers and they all hated collar and leash in the beginning........walking like a crab trying to remove the collar with a back foot.

• Like 1

I only take him in our courtyard for now, he gets the rest but of his shots soon. I use a harness around his chest, I bought a collar originally but he kept pulling against it so I took it back and went to a harness. I didn't want him to hurt his little neck. 

• Like 3
Marlene

He will get used to the restraints once he gets to go out and about.  Going for walks is interesting, fun, full of good smells.  

• Like 1
Pawz4me

Welcome!

What he's doing now is typical for a puppy his age. One thing you can try is putting his harness on, hooking up the leash and letting him drag it around the house some (only while you're supervising, of course). You want him to get so used to it that it's boring and he stops treating it like a toy. Other than that -- practice, practice, practice (with lots and lots of patience!). I'm more of a believer in puppies needing to get out and about for tons of socialization than I am a worrier about not being vaccinated.

• Like 1
Marlene
4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Welcome!

What he's doing now is typical for a puppy his age. One thing you can try is putting his harness on, hooking up the leash and letting him drag it around the house some (only while you're supervising, of course). You want him to get so used to it that it's boring and he stops treating it like a toy. Other than that -- practice, practice, practice (with lots and lots of patience!). I'm more of a believer in puppies needing to get out and about for tons of socialization than I am a worrier about not being vaccinated.

I have to agree.....just be sensible.  Stay on pavement (not dirt or sand) invite dogs in to play that you have confidence are fully vaccinated and healthy.  It is such a critical time for socialization and yet you're not supposed to socialize them!

That being said - our first Boxer puppy died of Parvo at 4 months.  After that I barely let the new puppy's feet touch the ground until completely vaccinated.

• Like 2
Ellie18

The first time i put a harness and leash on Ellie (shortly before three months of age) it was in the house and it was a ridiculous scene haha she was literally hopping like a bunny - biting on the leash - spinning in circles LOL - the first time outside (after all her shots) she did not move in 20 min we moved maybe 20 feet. Then we took her to Florida for Christmas and by the 2nd day there  she was strutting around like a pro.  Keep at it Dexter will be a pro in no time! 

• Like 2