Going to be getting 2 8 week old pups

PipsMom

Welcome

First have they had their shots? 

Paper training is the easiest. Smear wee wee down on the paper, takes about two weeks. Being just Baby’s it could take longer

Edited by PipsMom
Pawz4me

Welcome!

Pee pads or go outside is usually an individual decision. I had never used pee pads until I got a Shih Tzu. I didn't have anything against them, I'd just never had a need for them for housebreaking. But . . . housebreaking a Shih Tzu is a whole different challenge than with a larger dog. After awhile in desperation I put a pee pad down and that was pretty miraculous. Yogi used them consistently for a year or two, in addition to going outside. Eventually he transitioned himself to just going outside. I have no idea why he decided to do that, he won't tell me. ;) That's  a long way of saying "do whatever works for you and the puppies."  Most of all, be prepared to be very, very patient and forgiving. Especially with two. In all likelihood that's going to make it not just doubly hard, but exponentially harder.

Crate training . . . with young puppies about all you do is make the crate comfy for them, and keep it upbeat and happy as much as possible. Make the crate their secure, cozy place that they want to go in. Usually with young puppies it's not too hard. They nap a lot, so they get lots of opportunity for crate time. I like to give a very small treat each time I put a pup in a crate, or a special (safe) toy that is ONLY for crate time. Something to make them think "Hey, going into this crate is a good thing."

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
Ellie18

Ellie took those pee pads everywhere and never used them to pee? We use the artificial grass and i wash them out every few days and have extra to give them drying time - thats for peeing - for number two its either the area rug at the front door or on her walks so anyone with a shih tzu knows that any kind of wet weather and our little tzu’s do not mix so it’s

a lot of “who did this bad thing ?” LOL i would rather clean up that little mess then a whole dog lol 

• Like 2
Marlene

Just my experience:

Shorty G was seized by animal control.  I have 2 pieces of info from the shelter - one says 2 years, one says 7-8 months.  I don't think he was a puppy so have to wonder if he was 2?

I believe he was closer to 2 yrs and had been confined to a crate for that long.

That being said.....he has some problems (biting) but has been no problem going potty outdoor since we've had him.

Recently, we stayed in a rental for a month......and he marked 2-3 times in the house. When we caught him, we scolded him and that was the end of it.  After that he knew where he needed to potty and also had his regular 3-4 walks a day and where he needed to scratch at the door to go out.

I know that's not a lot of help with a Shih Tzu baby so I'll just share how I've done it with many, many Boxer puppies - healthy and sick that I've fostered over the years.

Feed on a regular schedule  - 3-4 times a day.  After feeding and first thing in the AM  take out for a walk (even if it's a small yard like I had) walk loop de loops until the exercise and smells produce pee/poop. Do again when waking from night or naps, after playing or just because it's been 2 hrs. It's not good enough to plop them outside and wait for potty - you must go with them, even if that means walking around w/umbrella in the rain. You MUST potty just before bed.   My experience was (usually) that would hold until 6AM or so - but it's not unusual to have to get up and potty in the middle of the night.

A story.....just cuz I'm old and have a lot of stories.

I had an adorable Boxer puppy I named Romeo because it was the first of FEB - hoping to find his forever home by Valentine's Day.

I took him to bed with me (even though I could have crated him - but he was SO CUTE!).. We snuggled down with him close to me under my chin.  At some point I was sleepily aware he had walked away.  But then was sleepily aware he had come back to snuggle under my chin.  I soon felt something wet on my face......he had walked to the end of the bed - went poopies and come back topat me on the face and snuggle with Mama.

I well remember that night....washing my face in cold water in the middle of the night and warming it up to wash off Romeo.

So many memories like that of foster puppies.....so glad it happened.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1