Possibly a mix?

Good morning. Lucy, the adorable little girl, we adopted last month. Love her to death. We were told she was pure shih tzu but my fiancé has been having her allergies flare up around her. We saw the attached picture from the rescue for her brother and he definitely doesn’t look like pure shih tzu. Any thoughts as to what they might be mixed with? Thanks! 

She he definitely looks more shih than him, but now we are curious what they might actually be

5CD8FA3B-CFF6-4CA9-9F04-AE8C4CCB42AA.jpeg

81170E57-837B-49ED-8182-6A2D3A80EEB5.jpeg

• Like 2
Marlene
13 hours ago, Carlson said:

Good morning. Lucy, the adorable little girl, we adopted last month. Love her to death. We were told she was pure shih tzu but my fiancé has been having her allergies flare up around her. We saw the attached picture from the rescue for her brother and he definitely doesn’t look like pure shih tzu. Any thoughts as to what they might be mixed with? Thanks! 

She he definitely looks more shih than him, but now we are curious what they might actually be

5CD8FA3B-CFF6-4CA9-9F04-AE8C4CCB42AA.jpeg

81170E57-837B-49ED-8182-6A2D3A80EEB5.jpeg

Me neither - but definitely mixed with "cute". 

• Like 3
Pawz4me

It's hard to tell from those pictures. Sometimes things become more evident from looks/size as they get older, and you can also start taking personality/energy traits into consideration when making a guess (sometimes those last two tell you a lot more about a dog's possible heritage than looks do). I think you posted in the other thread that she was a rescue from a puppy mill? If so it may be that she's a pure Shih Tzu, just from not-so-well bred parents. 

In any event, what matters is that she's yours and she's precious!

(Also, in the weird factoid of the day--it's very possible for puppies from the same litter to have different fathers.)

• Like 2
ParadiseTzu

Sometimes they can be registered pure blood Shih Tzu and if they came from pet breeders (vs show quality breeders), owners may suspect they are not pure Shih Tzu.  Once they grow into their own little cute, sweet personalities, you never give it another thought.  My first, back in 1987, was bought because my daughter was begging for one.  So we went looking and bought the first cute little puppy we found.  Later I found out he didn’t look much like a Shih Tzu should but he grew to be the cutest little dog and such a good one.  In your case, you adopted from a rescue, such a great opportunity for Lucy! 

• Like 4