It's going to be a sad week-end

Marlene

A sad story.....but it's the best we can do.

About a year ago one of the Boxers in our rescue went to a "forever home".  Nice family with a little boy about 6.  He was a senior who had been in foster care for 2 years and although he was treated like their own - he was waiting for a real committment.

We have been kept up to date, seeing the little boy and the senior dog becoming best buddies (he's an only child).  Pictures of camping, going to the beach, sleeping together, going places in the car.  We were thrilled.

Today I got a call asking if I could pick him up.....they are in my town.

The mother is dying of breast cancer and the husband (who was never a part of the dog's life but tolerated him) wants him gone.  Who knows why......maybe he is just overcome with the near future.  But one has to feel so sorry for the little boy....losing his Mama and his best friend and buddy.  A senior who probably doesn't have that many years left.

So I'm going to pick him up tomorrow morning, keep him a few days and then drive him to his new family.  It will be a good home, older couple, one home all the time, one works 2 days a week, no other dogs.  He will be well cared for and comfortable.  But my heart hurts for his boy.

I've had to do this a couple of times before.  Once when the mother in a family died and shortly afterwards the dad died suddenly.  A boy and a girl were going to live with their uncle who could not take their 2 Boxers.  The kids cried, we hugged, took pictures and I promised I'd let them know their dogs could stay together and we would find them a home with another kid(s) to take care of.

The other time was a woman who had a back injury and had to be hospitalized - her dogs were boarded (for an expected short time)with her vet.  After months in the hospital, surgeries and attempted re-hab her doctor told her she was going to be in a wheelchair the rest of her life.  The dogs were young and required a lot of exercise as well as being a danger to her because they were typical boisterous Boxers.

I went to the vet hospital to pick them up and was surprised to see the very disabled owner in her wheelchair. She cried and made me promise they would not be euthanized.  I assured her we would find them a happy home where they could run and play and get lots of exercise.  That was another painful transport of good dogs who had done nothing wrong.

It is what it is and at least I'm grateful to work with rescue where everything is done to keep tabs on our forever homes and to "be there" when our dogs need us - again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
Summerangel

Oh my goodness , how very sad indeed. My heart goes out for the little boy. But this dog must be so confused too, at least he’s got another sweet home to go to. 

I have to say Marlene , You are a treasure, doing what you do for these paws. 

• Like 1
Sunlite

So heartbreaking! You are so compassionate to be able to do what you're doing. Such sad situations for both people and pups.

• Like 1
Marlene

The Mom passed last night.  I didn't realize she was so close to the end.  She was only 44 .

I expected to pick him up on Saturday....but have offered to get him immediately.   He can hang out with us until the week-end transport.  I imagine the household is in turmoil.  At least this was in place so quickly and it's one less thing for the family to take care of.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Bless you for the great work that you do. I would love to do this kind of work one day when I am retired.

• Like 3
ParadiseTzu

Oh what a sad situation! I hurt for the little boy and the dog too.  I’m glad the dog has you temporarily!  Cyber hugs to all

• Like 2