Help Adorable 2yr old but Agressive to his owner

When jasper or Leo does what I ask and I give him what he’s after , can I verbally praise him as welll because he did what I asked? I understand what you are  saying about them being their best. Yes this is why me and my family have always had shih tzus and Lhasa’s while we were growing up. My main reason for getting jasper is, I wanted a dog to take places with me . I wanted a dog to be by my side and sleep with me . I wanted a dog to cuddle and give my all to. My husband said jasper is my last dog  in this lifetime. I’m 54 yrs and my husband is 58 yrs. all of our family is in Southern California. My husband wants to be animal free . This way we can travel and not have to worry about animals. As for me I don’t want to be without animals. I know I would be lonely. This is why jasper is so dear to me.  He is suppose to be my last baby. 

jasper cuddles up to my husband  ever night when we get in bed or when he joins me on the couch.  He has bitten him  a few times and growled at him also. Jasper will lay on my husbands chest, put his head under his neck and lick him. He has never done that to me.he lets my husband rub his sides till his eyes close.. I remember the time I was rubbing up and down his side. He seemed to be enjoying it so I continued until he hit me and lunged. He stays near me on the couch everyday. Follows me all through the house. But that’s about it. He listens to me . Comes to me when he needs something . But he doesn’t give me love like he gives my husband. I don’t understand why ?

What am I doing wrong? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lees@54

• Pawz4me

• Crinkly

• Marlene

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Lisa, I've just read this thread with interest. It looks to me as if you have a few problems - which the nilif program should help with tremendously.  He needs to learn that you are in ch

How old was he when you brought him home.  "Around a month"?  He should have been with his litter until at least 8 weeks to learn proper socialization.  He may view you as part of his "litter" and thi

Has he been neutered?  I have a male Shih Tzu, who is five now, he weighed 1.5 lbs when I brought him home at 8 weeks old. But this tiny little puppy did not want me doing any type of grooming to him,

Posted Images

Both Jasper and Leo have a leash on now. Both are off the couch. I made a little bed for them on the floor. Jasper is not having any problem being off the couch so far. He did jump up on the couch when I was in the kitchen. I went over ,tried to grab his leash from around him. He growled , lunged and tried to bite me. As soon as I was able to grab hold of the leash I took him off the couch. So far that is the only incident we have had with Jasper. It will be hard later on when my husband joins us. Pawz, is there somewhere on the forum where I can see more pictures of Yogi?

Jasper, has been laying on the floor quietly. I figured, since he is being good we could play some ball. I do not know how to get it started? Do i ask him to do something for me first? Then proceed?

Pawz4me
9 hours ago, lees@54 said:

When jasper or Leo does what I ask and I give him what he’s after , can I verbally praise him as welll because he did what I asked? I understand what you are  saying about them being their best. Yes this is why me and my family have always had shih tzus and Lhasa’s while we were growing up. My main reason for getting jasper is, I wanted a dog to take places with me . I wanted a dog to be by my side and sleep with me . I wanted a dog to cuddle and give my all to. My husband said jasper is my last dog  in this lifetime. I’m 54 yrs and my husband is 58 yrs. all of our family is in Southern California. My husband wants to be animal free . This way we can travel and not have to worry about animals. As for me I don’t want to be without animals. I know I would be lonely. This is why jasper is so dear to me.  He is suppose to be my last baby. 

jasper cuddles up to my husband  ever night when we get in bed or when he joins me on the couch.  He has bitten him  a few times and growled at him also. Jasper will lay on my husbands chest, put his head under his neck and lick him. He has never done that to me.he lets my husband rub his sides till his eyes close.. I remember the time I was rubbing up and down his side. He seemed to be enjoying it so I continued until he hit me and lunged. He stays near me on the couch everyday. Follows me all through the house. But that’s about it. He listens to me . Comes to me when he needs something . But he doesn’t give me love like he gives my husband. I don’t understand why ?

What am I doing wrong? 

Sometimes dogs choose their person and we just have to respect that. Usually the dog will choose the person who feeds him the most, takes him for walks the most, etc. But that's not always the case. My hairdresser adopted a dog. She's the one who handles almost all of his care. But she says the dog has made clear that he favors her husband. It can hurt, but sometimes it happens that way.

3 hours ago, lees@54 said:

Both Jasper and Leo have a leash on now. Both are off the couch. I made a little bed for them on the floor. Jasper is not having any problem being off the couch so far. He did jump up on the couch when I was in the kitchen. I went over ,tried to grab his leash from around him. He growled , lunged and tried to bite me. As soon as I was able to grab hold of the leash I took him off the couch. So far that is the only incident we have had with Jasper. It will be hard later on when my husband joins us. Pawz, is there somewhere on the forum where I can see more pictures of Yogi?

Picture posting isn't my strong point! I've never been able to get the hang of posting them on here. So there probably aren't very many. Sorry!

54 minutes ago, lees@54 said:

Jasper, has been laying on the floor quietly. I figured, since he is being good we could play some ball. I do not know how to get it started? Do i ask him to do something for me first? Then proceed?

If you're the one instigating play then you can just start playing. 'Cause you control all things. But if he comes up and tries to get you to play then you ask him to do something first. 

I am starting to understand more. He just came up to me with his baby (stuffed dog) I asked him to sit, he didn’t so we’re not playing.  
If my husband isn’t always cooperative is this going to be a huge problem? He’s afraid of jasper too. My husband doesn’t listen when I say to do something a certain way. He lets jasper do whatever he wants because that is easier for him at the time. He wants him to stop with the biting as much as I do .

What can or should I be doing to help this go smoothly? I know we only started a couple days ago

This  morning Jasper jumped on the couch.  I grabbed his leash. The leash was under Jasper's bottom. When i was getting it from under him, he started  biting my hands. I was quiet. He was lunging at me but i did not back down. I did not get away without bleeding but, i kept my cool. He is laying on his blankets on the floor at this time.

When it is bedtime,  Jasper does a command for me ,before getting in bed.

When he comes to my husband to be petted, does Jasper do a command then he gets petted?

Pawz4me

Yes, if your husband will join you in implementing NILIF as often as possible it will help. But even if it's just you doing it -- that's still good.

It does really hurt, knowing jasper prefers my husband. Jasper is suppose to be my last dog. I feel cheated .  I’m ok with jasper wanting to lay with my husband at night. What I can’t except is his biting. This may sound mean . When jasper bit my husband I felt Some relief. Maybe he didn’t like him all that much after all. That was along time ago I thought that. I’m learning more about his biting. 

I’m really liking this NILIF method. I know we have barely started, it seems like a good fit. As long as I’m in the room jasper stays off the couch. I thought I was going to have a hard time keeping him off. He will keep the leash on for awhile. When we came to bed. I asked him to sit and then  down.  He didn’t want to do the down command . When jasper saw my husband get into bed he got excited. I Then gave jasper the commands again. He did then no problem. I was so happy . I didn’t want him to have to sleep beside the bed. How long will it take to see  results?  

• Like 1

I know it won’t be right of way. He has been biting for 2 yrs.a  After asking that question and pushing send  .  It wish I wouldn’t have sent it. 

Im an impatient person . But I’m going do better. Thank you for being so helpful. I will be keeping you posted. I hope that’s okay with you? I know as the days go by i will have more questions .

• Like 1
Pawz4me

It's perfectly normal to be impatient to see good results. That's human nature! But the answer is -- it just depends. You're right that the longer the behavior/bad attitude has been going on the longer it usually takes to fix. But some dogs are quick learners, some really thrive on the increased structure/discipline and are relieved to realize they don't have to be in charge. And some are so incredibly stubborn it takes a long time for them to give up on being the boss.

This morning jasper, Leo and I went to the living room. Jasper jumped on the couch, I pulled him off  by the leash.  As soon as he was on the floor , he growled at me and was ready to bite me. I yelled at him and backed up. I’m not sure what I should have done ?

This afternoon I needed to get jaspers jacket off. I held him by the leash. Before he didn’t mind me taking them off.  They Velcro under the belly and around the neck. Not hard to put on or off. Anyhow, when I went to remove it he bit me.

i am not sure how you feel about animals in clothing. My dogs usually wear bandanas when I take them with me places. That’s if I remember to put them on. I love little sweaters or shirts also. Jasper doesn’t like sweaters. When he just gets a haircut and it’s cold  out, he has a  sweater that Velcro’s in 2 places. Even holding the leash so he wouldn’t bite didn’t work. Now , I only put his sweatshirt on him when he has super short cuts and it’s cold. Other than that he doesn’t wear clothes. I learned my lesson when I put a harness on him when he was a pup.

What should I have done to get the sweater off?  I’m sure you must know the type of sweater. 

I worry if he were to get something in his paw , how would I address this type of issues . When I first brought him home I always rubbed his paws and held them . I use to rub him all over. He seemed to like it until he was about 6 months or so. I am missing out on so much with him

Pawz4me
18 hours ago, lees@54 said:

This morning jasper, Leo and I went to the living room. Jasper jumped on the couch, I pulled him off  by the leash.  As soon as he was on the floor , he growled at me and was ready to bite me. I yelled at him and backed up. I’m not sure what I should have done ?

Yelling is counter productive. I try to never raise my voice with a dog. It's not needed and isn't helpful. Dogs are much more responsive to tone of voice than to volume. A very firm "no" or "stop it" or whatever term you prefer to use is generally much more effective. I'd also try to NOT back up. If anything step toward him, but at the very least stand your ground. Backing up is a defensive action and reinforces the notion that he's in charge. You want to do the opposite--get in his space. You control everything. And he needs to learn that. Backing up tells him he controls the space around him.

11 hours ago, lees@54 said:

This afternoon I needed to get jaspers jacket off. I held him by the leash. Before he didn’t mind me taking them off.  They Velcro under the belly and around the neck. Not hard to put on or off. Anyhow, when I went to remove it he bit me.

i am not sure how you feel about animals in clothing. My dogs usually wear bandanas when I take them with me places. That’s if I remember to put them on. I love little sweaters or shirts also. Jasper doesn’t like sweaters. When he just gets a haircut and it’s cold  out, he has a  sweater that Velcro’s in 2 places. Even holding the leash so he wouldn’t bite didn’t work. Now , I only put his sweatshirt on him when he has super short cuts and it’s cold. Other than that he doesn’t wear clothes. I learned my lesson when I put a harness on him when he was a pup.

What should I have done to get the sweater off?  I’m sure you must know the type of sweater. 

I worry if he were to get something in his paw , how would I address this type of issues . When I first brought him home I always rubbed his paws and held them . I use to rub him all over. He seemed to like it until he was about 6 months or so. I am missing out on so much with him

I'm generally not fond of treating dogs like dolls and playing dress up. But that's just me and my opinion. I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with it if you enjoy it and the dog isn't bothered by wearing things. Yogi has one warm sweater for walks if it's cold (less than 25 or so--he doesn't seem to get cold easily), and one rain coat for the rare times that's needed. Other than that I have no interest in treating him like a play doll. But I'm a bit confused -- are you saying that Jasper's fine with you putting things on him, and only ever reacts when you take them off? In any event, if clothing is a trigger, and since clothing is something that very few dogs have any true need for whatsoever, then I wouldn't be dressing him up until his attitude adjusts.

Edited by Pawz4me

He only wears his sweater when he has had a short haircut and it’s in winter. He growled at m and will hi e be when I m trying to take it off. L

Did I do the right thing about the couch incident? (In my last post?)

Pawz4me
2 hours ago, lees@54 said:

Did I do the right thing about the couch incident? (In my last post?)

Yelling is counter productive. I try to never raise my voice with a dog. It's not needed and isn't helpful. Dogs are much more responsive to tone of voice than to volume. A very firm "no" or "stop it" or whatever term you prefer to use is generally much more effective. I'd also try to NOT back up. If anything step toward him, but at the very least stand your ground. Backing up is a defensive action and reinforces the notion that he's in charge. You want to do the opposite--get in his space. You control everything. And he needs to learn that. Backing up tells him he controls the space around him.

:my first text was a little off. He will put it on. He only has it on when he has a fresh haircut . Also when it’s cold at the time. When I’m tried to take it off he tried to bite

All in all,. What do I do when he still lunges at me during his training?  Ignore it? I’m not sure, I want to do the right thing?

Got it. I’m at physical therapy . I had shoulder replacement . I know he’s running wild right now: but hen I do come home he is showing more discipline.  
I will be stern , not yell and step forward if he lunges. He does look at me in a mean way when he’s doing it. I will be brave pawz . Who knew, such a tiny dog could pack such a punch. Jasper does do good with a leash on. He does get excited when I ask him to perform a task. I just love him so.

• Like 1

Jasper did do good today, so did Leo. When I come home from physical therapy , jasper is on the couch. He sees me, gets off the couch . He lays in front of the couch. I put his blankets down for him. He does jump back on , a lot but now I can grab his leash without his growling. Leo got off the car when I used the leash. No pulling.

• Like 1

Today Was kind  of a quiet day for us.  Jasper would get up on the couch , I would have to tell him to get off and he would. Sometimes he didn’t listen and I would use the leash. He did good staying on his blankets. We got to play a little. It was positive. I have to do my shoulder exercises twice a day. Jasper likes being in the middle of it. I notice whenever he thinks I’m not paying attention he gets back on the couch. I was on the computer, he jumped up on the couch. He had the leash around himself. I went to grab it at the end , I couldn’t find it. I grabbed it closer to his body and he tried to bite me. He was growling the whole time I was getting him off the couch. Earlier I was feeling bad , he was on the floor . I was about to let him up on the couch.  He seems so happy doing things for me , I think he’s changing. Then he turns around and bites me. It is discouraging. I’ve read a lot of posts on this forum. I’ve only read a couple that have had an aggressive dog

What else can I do to get through to jasper?  I’m missing so much with him. Before I found chatter tzu , I had come to the conclusion that jasper is alway going to bite me. Since he’s always going to be in my life I, I had to get use to the way he is and live with it. 
i  was on the computer to find out why jasper wouldn’t get up and move around after a short haircut. I found my answers. I then started looking through shih tzu forums . I came across chatter tzu. 
I read a story about a dog named Sadie . I felt relief that there is another dog out there like jasper. To be honest I feel nothing will fix  Jasper. That’s who he is and I must work around him like I have been. 
i Try a different approach each time  and nothing.  NILIF sounds to good to be true. Jasper and I have started it.   I will do everything I need to to work it. I won’t give up on jasper. I have been asking myself , how can this technique get my dog to stop biting me? I do feel a lttle different about this technique.I know it will be a while before I see something in Jasper. If it doesn’t work  I won’t love Jasper  any less. I will have to continue on like before . Working around him. Jasper has won my heart no matter how much he bites me. But if I could  get him not to bite it would give us a closer relationship . 
I worry , if something ever happens to him, he gets glass in a paw. How can I take care of him if he bites me when I touch his paws?  NILIF. Is my last hope  until I hear of another technique. All suggestions and tips  are most welcome. 

Crinkly
On 1/12/2020 at 3:14 PM, lees@54 said:

I read  nothing in life is free. Jasper is very pushy. i don't know where to start first? I understand the rules. keeping him off the couch will be very hard. we have a glass end table that he likes to lay on. It took months to get him to stay off. when he thinks I am not paying attention he still gets on it. I will tell him off. he stares at me , doesn't get off. I repeat myself several times, he stares at me. Finally I walk towards the end table ,he finally gets off. As I am struggling to keep him off the end table, he is looking at me the whole time. I feel like he is daring me to get him down. One very stubborn dog.

Hi Lisa,

I've just read this thread with interest.

It looks to me as if you have a few problems - which the nilif program should help with tremendously.  He needs to learn that you are in charge and control everything.  He only gets the things he wants if he pleases YOU.

In the post I have quoted above, I will tell you what I would do in that circumstance (dog thinking it 'owns' my glass end table, and thinking that he can sit on it whenever he likes).

Firstly, I would put a leash on him, so that I can control him without getting close enough to get bitten.

Then I would wait for the next time he climbs on the table (just the first time.  From now on he never gets on that table without your permission).

Then I would take the leash in my hand, and firmly say ''Off!' and pull him down off the table (taking care not to hurt him, and to allow him to get down safely).  This creates a memory in his head of HAVING to follow your orders.

Then every time I saw him thinking about getting onto the table, I would say 'No!' loudly and firmly.  I would also put out an arm to block his access to the table.

If I entered the room and found him on the table (or he sneaks onto it when I wasn't noticing) I would take the leash in my hand, say 'Jasper OFF!' and pull him down onto the floor, safely and gently.

This would keep your hands out of bite range, teach him that he must obey your commands, and teach him that his body must follow your spoken instructions.  It may take a while, but eventually he will associate your voice and the words 'NO!' and 'OFF!' with you owning the table.  You can do the same thing with the bed, the sofa, chairs and any other piece of furniture.  They are yours, not his.  You own them, even when you are not sitting on them, and he will eventually learn this.

You will need to be consistent, and you will have to practice speaking to him in a firm commanding voice.  There is no need to tell him off.  You just firmly but gently pull him off the furniture so that he has to do what you say.  He has no choice in this.  YOU are in charge.

Does he have a nice comfy bed nearby that he can go to instead of the furniture?  Somewhere that he is allowed to sleep in (even if you OWN that too, and allow him to use it?).  Something with a toy, and a chew?  Somewhere that is actually nicer than a nasty old glass table, that he only ever wanted to lie on because it made him feel like he was the boss of you?

;)

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Crinkly said:

Hi Lisa,

I've just read this thread with interest.

It looks to me as if you have a few problems - which the nilif program should help with tremendously.  He needs to learn that you are in charge and control everything.  He only gets the things he wants if he pleases YOU.

In the post I have quoted above, I will tell you what I would do in that circumstance (dog thinking it 'owns' my glass end table, and thinking that he can sit on it whenever he likes).

Firstly, I would put a leash on him, so that I can control him without getting close enough to get bitten.

Then I would wait for the next time he climbs on the table (just the first time.  From now on he never gets on that table without your permission).

Then I would take the leash in my hand, and firmly say ''Off!' and pull him down off the table (taking care not to hurt him, and to allow him to get down safely).  This creates a memory in his head of HAVING to follow your orders.

Then every time I saw him thinking about getting onto the table, I would say 'No!' loudly and firmly.  I would also put out an arm to block his access to the table.

If I entered the room and found him on the table (or he sneaks onto it when I wasn't noticing) I would take the leash in my hand, say 'Jasper OFF!' and pull him down onto the floor, safely and gently.

This would keep your hands out of bite range, teach him that he must obey your commands, and teach him that his body must follow your spoken instructions.  It may take a while, but eventually he will associate your voice and the words 'NO!' and 'OFF!' with you owning the table.  You can do the same thing with the bed, the sofa, chairs and any other piece of furniture.  They are yours, not his.  You own them, even when you are not sitting on them, and he will eventually learn this.

You will need to be consistent, and you will have to practice speaking to him in a firm commanding voice.  There is no need to tell him off.  You just firmly but gently pull him off the furniture so that he has to do what you say.  He has no choice in this.  YOU are in charge.

Does he have a nice comfy bed nearby that he can go to instead of the furniture?  Somewhere that he is allowed to sleep in (even if you OWN that too, and allow him to use it?).  Something with a toy, and a chew?  Somewhere that is actually nicer than a nasty old glass table, that he only ever wanted to lie on because it made him feel like he was the boss of you?

;)

Hi Jo,

Thank you very much for your post.  I am new to the forum, and I am enjoying it very much.

I had never heard of NILIF until this forum. Pawz introduced me.

Jasper is on a leash at all times.  I am working on being consistent with him. It is a little harder then I thought, he is adorable, except for the biting.  I am doing good keeping him off the couch even though it breaks my heart.  Right at the foot of the couch, near my computer (not even a foot away) is his blankies all laid out for him.  He is getting used to it.  Although, it has not been long.

When, bedtime comes he has to sit then down.  I know i am not doing this part right but, I can not find the heart to keep him off.  I have an older shih tzu Leo, and an older cat Peanut that  sleep on the bed as well.  Our bed is a little high. i really can not see leaving him out.  I can make him his bed right on the carpet next to me?  Hes been in our bed since, we first brought him home.  He did sleep in his zipper crate. but it was on the bed, in the middle of my husband and I.

Please, any suggestions for us, are much appreciated.

Crinkly

How does he behave on the bed?

Does he try and control the space?  Does he bite you on the bed?

Or is he gentle and respectful?

Hi Crinkly, great to hear from you. With my husband he sometimes is up in his face loving on him. Jaspers never done that with me. My husband gets angry  when he won’t get off him. Now that he has the leash on , I tell him to use the leash. My husband did get him to go to the foot of the bed , no problem. He doesn’t really bother me . So he has bitten me in bed once. A very long time ago. I was trying to give him his meds . He was sick. 

On one of my posts , I also talk about how much Jasper loves my husband and has bitten my husband about 3 times. But he bites me a lot. I’m the one who does everything for him. I got some good advice from Pawz, on the subject. 

I take him and Leo my older shih tzu places with me. I have Jasper sit then the down command  before he gets in the car . He likes to sit in the back.  He is really good in the car . When Jasper and I are together in the car, he is very lovable towards me. Anytime we are out some place, he lets me touch him all over. When we are home he doesn’t like me to touching his tail. He will look back at me  and then look at his tail. Any advice or comments welcome