Best time for bed at night

Daily Dose of Freddie

Hi all, new member here with basic questions.   Our family finally got our dream come true - beautiful baby boy Shih Tzu pup.   Just turned 2 months yesterday.   Got him 4 days ago and so far everything is going great.  He's a super smart boy.   As many new owners my big concern is sleep at night.   Please, don't crucify me if I do something wrong as we are all learning.

I have a nice setup confirmed by few people.   Good playpen area with his crate/carrier that's always open.  Got my daughter's t-shit (he attached to her from day one), wee wee pad and water for the night and his favorite toys (already got favorite).

He's been crying at night like all new pups but I want to minimize this of course.   I read that people say you should put him to bed around 8-8:30 which we did at first.   However, today I read that you should put him at the time most people go to bed which is around 10 in our house.

So general question - what do people recommend about the time of putting him to bed if I follow the schedule of 7am first feed....

Thank you in advance

• Like 3
Marlene

Put him to bed when the rest of his pack goes to bed goes to bed.:group:

Hints on a crying puppy.  Of course he's crying.........where's my Mama and siblings?:dunno:

I have fostered a lot of puppies.  I put the crate next to my side of the bed, cover it to make a dark quiet cave where movements and sounds in the room won't immediately wake them and get their attention.

If/when they cry I touch the crate rhythmically and softly chant something.

But keep in mind, he might need to go out and potty......he's a beebee:bear:

Your turn.....we MUST have pictures or we get surly:ranting:

And last but not least.......he can snuggle with family.......like my dogs do :cloud9:

• Like 3
Summerangel
2 hours ago, Marlene said:

Put him to bed when the rest of his pack goes to bed goes to bed.:group:

Hints on a crying puppy.  Of course he's crying.........where's my Mama and siblings?:dunno:

I have fostered a lot of puppies.  I put the crate next to my side of the bed, cover it to make a dark quiet cave where movements and sounds in the room won't immediately wake them and get their attention.

If/when they cry I touch the crate rhythmically and softly chant something.

But keep in mind, he might need to go out and potty......he's a beebee:bear:

Your turn.....we MUST have pictures or we get surly:ranting:

And last but not least.......he can snuggle with family.......like my dogs do :cloud9:

i echo what Marlene has said. 

By the way welcome to you. We all love to see photos of each other’s babies, so please do share. Can’t wait to  here all what your pup gets up too and I’m sure that will be a lot. 

Congratulations on your pup. 

• Like 2
Daily Dose of Freddie

Hi and thank you very much.  I think tonight we are going to try just that.  I have one more question for you.  When I brought him home I got a carrier which is more than twice the size he is and that is what I left in a playpen for him to sleep in.   The crate is much bigger and open.   If I take him to our room, should I use the small carrier where he doesn't have much room or do the bigger crate and cover it up as you suggested.   And here's the picture of our Freddie.

IMG_8621.jpg

• Like 2
ParadiseTzu

He’s precious and just looks like a Freddie too!  I had more luck with a small crate.  I also had a doggie type playpen.  The crate worked much better for me.  And I totally agree to move the crate close enough to you that you can speak soft soothing words! Unless he’s crying because it has been long enough he has to pee pee.  But then again, I trained both of mine to potty outside. So my advice might be different from those who have trained with pee pads.

• Like 2
Summerangel

Oh Freddie, you are gorgeous. 

I use a puppy pen for my dogs as I work 3 days a week. I did before (Covid -19) so One of my dogs has the kitchen and the other two have a puppy pen each.

Long story as to why they are not all together ( I’ll save that for another day) 

I give them the puppy pen in the day so they have a bit more room while I’m at work should they need to go to the toilet. 

Now I don’t sleep with my dogs. Something hubby has never agreed to. So mine all stay downstairs in their pens or the kitchen as mentioned above. 

I did use puppy pads for toilet training for a start but I wanted my puppy to go outside like the other two. And it wasn’t until I removed all pads that he started going outside. I did leave a pad inside the puppy pen until he decided to chew them up. Now I don’t bother as he is 9 months . 

• Like 2
Daily Dose of Freddie

Thank you again.  Believe it or not, we decided to try a crate (which is much bigger) during the day.  Put blanket over it and put it next to our work/school from home.

He cried for 2 mins first time and then took the longest nap so far.   Few other times we put him there - not a peep.

Going to take the crate into our bedroom and see what happens

• Like 4