Road trip

Marlene

Going to pick up this little boy tomorrow.  He's about 2 (guesstimate) and very frightened.  

This is just for a transport.......but oh my heart is talking to me.

I think he has blue eyes?  Could that be?  Has anyone ever seen a Tzu with blue eyes.  Sign of deafness in the breed?

Click link for pictures.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMGKMVrbODPdVxu4_OK09iSKVEwq3_djyw7n4T2r17xnSvfiQXq2kyjfnwRjdQdPA?key=ZWV5SnE5X3ZYeElkcUVOa09IV09GUWxHNm1sRVFn

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 3
Marlene

Me again - just heard from the shelter.  He DOES have blue eyes.

Anyone know of heath problems associated with the gene that makes blue eyes?

Wish our breeder was still around.........

I get to name him if only temporary).........thinking Frankie (Blue Eyes Sinatra) or Newman (Paul).....maybe Moonstone (Moonie)

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 2
Pawz4me

I bet he's going to clean up very nicely!

I doubt he's anywhere near purebred, so I don't know about the blue eyes? Don't lots of Aussies have blue eyes, and most w/o any deafness issues? Not that I think there's Aussie in him, just . . .I think dogs can have blue eyes w/o having underlying health issues. I think.

• Like 1
Marlene

His legs are kinda long and so is his nose but I'm looking forward to seeing how he looks post clean up.

4 hours ago, PipsMom said:

He is lovely...you think you might adopt him ?

I am having all kinds of foolish emotions.  I'm too old to adopt a 2 yr old........my widows life with just Shorty and me is uncomplicated.  I have thought what I'd do if I lost Short Stuff and have imagined it would be to re-home a senior or just do hospice care for a sick or old pup.

Last night I was seriously considering talking about adopting him but today I might consider fostering him if I'm asked.

At this point he is very fearful and somewhat aggressive.  I think I can provide a soft, quiet spot for him, get him out of the shelter.......if it's only for one day.

Sooo hard to be a grown-up.

• Like 3
Sunlite

Poor baby, I too think he'll clean up quite nicely! 

Bill Fusaro had raised blues before. It's rare to have a blue eyes Tzu but it does happen. There are a few on a Facebook page and they don't seem to have issues...

As for adoption, and age, some are quite relaxed at the age of 2. It really depends on the dog. Good luck with him, I really like your names choices. Frank would be my fav, maybe because I have a Bing?

Keep us updated!

• Like 2
Marlene

I seriously have doubt that he is 2ish.....in fact I think he may b a senior.  The shelters are notorious for getting breeds and ages wrong.  And he was not easy to examine and handle.

He is a head taller than Shorty and longer.  His fur is quite different - coarse where Shorty's is "cottony".

He is desperate for affection yet very skittish.

He was dumped in a night drop box at the shelter.

Based on his behavior.....I have a feeling he was owned by a senior and loved.  I have done some combing while he's on my lap which he doesn't mind - seems to enjoy.  I dearly want to bathe him and while I think he might enjoy a warm bath, he's too traumatized to use a dryer and comb him out.  He will be taken to the vet today and they will groom him there - probably shave him.  He is very touchy, jumps and shrieks sometimes when being, petted, touched, lifted, trying to walk him.  Is he in pain or just "freaks" when he feels threatened by an action?  During bathing and if they shave they can have a much better look for booboos, lumpies and bumpies.  I haven't been able to tell if he's neutered - too much fur and I don't want to manipulate him to have a look.

He wouldn't eat yesterday for several hours....but finally did.  He seems to have some problems eating (it was chicken and rice).......teeth?  He is missing some front bottom teeth and while I haven't tried to pry open his mouth to have a good look at his teeth I can see heavy tartar on some of the rear ones.  Probably needs a dental.  I fed him again a couple of hours later (he's soooo skinny) canned this time.  He ate ravenously and finally drank some water.  He SO needed that.  I fed him small meals a couple more times which he eagerly ate.

I see no fleas or flea dirt and while he has patches of "something" gunked on his fur in a few places, I think if he were comfortable he could be combed out and those clipped away. He's not that matted.  I have a feeling he was loved and got into this state of emaciation and unkempt fur recently.  Maybe owned by a senior who passed away and not wanted by family?

Last night, I put him to bed in a large crate with lots of soft warm bedding and covered the crate.  He had spent some time in there during the day and ate in there.....but when I went to bed he starting crying.  After trying a couple of other things, I gave up and put him on the bed with Shorty and me.  He spent about half an hour groveling and demanding affection - desperate for it.  He then moved down to the foot of the bed and slept quietly through the night.  He has experience with hooman bean beds!   LOL.

Shorty wants to play and Frankie is tolerating it.  He likes dogs and has been around them I feel. 

I'm not going to foster him.  The rescue and the majority of adoption applicants are about 40 miles away from me.  The coordinator feels that's too far for meet 'n' greets.

But I feel good about pulling him from the shelter a day earlier, getting him to my quiet home, getting him to eat and drink and offering affection, where he slept a lot, relaxed and decompressed.  Hopefully in a similar foster home or with a new adopter he will bloom.

Edited by Marlene
  • Like 3
PipsMom

How sad to know he craves human attention.. :(

I hope that he finds that special someone

• Like 2
Marlene

He doesn't look fancy....but he looks clean and you can see his icy blue eyes.  This was after his neuter.

Hope I get to see him after it grows out and he gets a fancy schmancy foofoo haircut :-)

cccccccccc.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
missy dawn

Hey Marlene ,it's Bristolle Noel and Dolly here, how are you , it's been a long time since we've been on here.

Marlene

Haha the title of this thread shocked me.  Road Trip!  How did she know I made a road trip?!?

I just made a 12 hour road trip yesterday.  I am taking a trip - first time I've been out of town for a year and a half....since my husband died.

I am going to spend a couple of weeks in Oregon, where we had a beach cottage for 18 years.  Sold it the year before he passed.  I rented a house up the hill from the beach - in the woods but every window looks out at the water.  It's almost noon, the fog is clearing, the water is a deep blue and the sky is........sky blue :-)  I slept with the window open last night and could hear the ocean waves.

I'm very tired from the long drive so am resting and napping today.  My only plans are to get some groceries (I'm getting hungry) and take Shorty for a stroll on the beach.  It's been 3 years since he's been to the beach and he always loved it.

What are you up to?

• Like 3
Sunlite

That sounds lovely, Marlene! 

Enjoy your time at the beach, it's been years since I've been to the ocean!

• Like 1