Peeing/pooping In Crate

Kobi & Yoshi

Newbie here.

We have 2 shih tzu's, Kobi is 6 months and Yoshi is 5 months. Kobi is good and only goes outside, but Yoshi has a problem peeing/pooping in his crate. We try to put him on a schedule, but it doesn't seem to work.

Kobi

Yoshi

Edited by Kobi & Yoshi

Hello and welcome Kobi and Yoshi and mom to our wonderful STCT family...your babies are adorable...about the pooping in the cage it just takes time to finally get them to figure out that they should only go outside...I got super lucky with my first tzu baby girl...she was potty trained at 6 wks and 3 days old. she decided she wanted to go outside and never ever had a accident in the house after that...now that is lucky..but my rescue girl who is over 2 yrs now still does it in her cage when she has to stay in it at night or when we go out...I tell her it is bad and tell her no no...but she is trying to get better...I think it takes lots of patients and persistance to finally get the results we want...Tzus are sometimes very stubborn to learn...

Anyway...I am Dede from Arkansas...I have 2 little girls Tzu's. the first is Miss Cricket Marie and she is 22 months old and my angel baby. she is caramel tan in color...my little rescue girl is princess Lily May and she is 2 yrs and 3 months old now and she is white and tan color....we've had her now going on 9 months now...and she is nearly 100% better than she was...and my last dog is a 5 yr old standard Manchester terrier named Tequilla Rose but we call her Tiki and she is black and Tan...we also have a turtle named Bear Claw...

Nice to meet you

good luck with the training

Dede and the girls.

tzukeeper

Very cute puppies! How big is the crate he is in? Smaller is better when they are young. They tend not to want to potty in the place they sleep. :)

ShihtzuBeauty

Hi and Welcome to the family! I don't crate any of mine so I can't help ya there, I just wanted to tell ya how Adorable your kids are! :wub:

gizmo's mom

Gizmo never messed in his crate and he's been in one pretty much since day one with us. We had him in a larger crate and we let him come out to use his potty pad. Then when he got about 3 months, we started crating him in a smaller crate and would come home at lunch to let him outside.

When he was in the larger crate though, we put up baby gates and kept him confined to our hallway. His food was at one end and the pee pad at the other. And the HUGE crate was backed into a bedroom doorway.

Gizmo's done pretty good though. He's only had 2 accidents in the house (and unfortunately both were on the bed) since we've started crate training. None were in his crate. It definitely gets better with age.

berrytzus

I had a major problem with Gingerbread pottying in his crate. We would come home and he would have pooped in the crate and STOMPED it all over. :) These were times that we hadn't even been gone very long. So it was about an hour cleanup everytime- bathing Gingerbread and bleaching out his crate. It was horrible having to come home to that. I think a lot of the problem had to do with the fact that Gingerbread is from a petstore, so he was used to living and pottying in the same space. What finally worked was putting a doggie diaper on him. He only pottied in it ONCE and it was super easy to clean up. It's been about a year since then and he still wears a diaper when we leave. One day when I'm feeling brave I'll try leaving him without it.

Cackle

I never crated Mitsi but I did Molly. Molly used to poop in her crate when she was small, but once she got bigger she stopped it. My self, I think they just can't hang on. They have to go when they have to go. Depending on age of cause

• 3 years later...

well we are trying to crate coco who is 12 weeks old.she really likes it during the day when we are home she goes in and out sleeps well in it but at night time she poops in it everynight needless to say it is not a happy sight in the morning she is full of poop.I really am getting frustrated I get so many mixed opinions from people.Some say leave a pee pad in there over night,some say leave the door open and let her come out to releive herself on the pads,others say she won't poop where she sleeps this is my first dog and I have no idea what works and what dont please some help would be appreciated.thanks in advance Anthony

GizmoHappyKitty

We never crate trained Kitty (our female Shih-tzu) she slept in a baby play pen when she was a puppy and we had her bed on one side and a litter box for her on the other side, this worked great for her. Our little guy, Lucky was crate trained as a pup. We put his crate next to the bed at night and he would wake us up in the middle of the night (usually around 4 or 5 am to be let out so that he could potty and then he would come back in and go back to sleep until we got up at 9. He is now 11 mo. old and has been sleeping out of his crate for about the last 5 mo. and he just waits until we get up to go out (or he will bark if he really needs to go out before then).

Michele

All of ours are crate trained (and they are crated when we are not home as well). I have never really had much problem with this issue until Midas (our Lowchen baby) came along. He is now 14 weeks old and about a month ago I got tired of cleaning him and cleaning up AFTER him and put him in a crate with a grate floor. He still pees and poops away but now I just have to hose the crate out and he stays clean. His breeder is rather mystified by this as Lowchen are generally a very clean breed, but a few other dog people told me it just takes some of them more time than others. I realize this doesn't help you stop the messing, but it is one solution to keep the dog clean and make the clean-up easier for you.

luvmybabies

Pam, I was just at my breeder's house yesterday to have her look over Benji. She has a new puppy too and was trying to crate train hers too. She has her in a crate with a raised grate floor too when she can't attend to her. She was having trouble training her puppy to pee pads (the adults all go outside) and said when she puts the puppy on the pee pads she just runs off it and has a pee on the floor. Well, I told her what I did to train both Connor and Benji to pads as puppies and I think, upon reflection, that the key is what I do after I place them on the pad. I tell them to pee pee (or whatever word you want them to respond to) when I place them there. If they run off the pad I catch them and put them back on it and repeat my command. I keep catching them and returning them to the pad till they finally pee. I had to laugh at Connor as he would give a big sigh and then pee. I think they need to understand what you want of them. Both trained very fast. It may be a bit of intense work at the start but it seems to shorten the process. My three older dogs took a bit longer as they were used to going outside and I now wanted them inside especially for the winter. It has taken a few months but they all seem to "get it" and things are much better.

A lot of training is the dog understanding what you want of them. I train a particular way for obedience and rally. Our club is on its third or fourth way they believe training should be done since I joined. I keep right on doing my own way as it works for me and I see the other training ways and they take so long to communicate to the dog what is wanted. Basically their way of training last time was to feed, feed the dog. I would see handlers feeding their dogs frantically before going in the ring to compete. When they were doing their trial it was funny to see the dog completely ignoring what the handler wanted as when you are in the ring you can't feed and can only say the command at the start of the exercise and then silence. Of course the dog wasn't doing anything right because he wasn't being rewarded every few seconds! Now they train some foolish way where they expect the dog to pick up everything by guessing and being a mind reader. They don't even say "stay" when the dog is to stay!! (Sorry if I'm offending any trainers out there using either of these methods but I truly believe my way of training is the one good way, but that is IMHO). The other day at the club we were having a "floor time" training session where everyone can take as many dogs as they want to get polished up for the upcoming trial next month. One of the members who has been training dogs (border collies) for longer than I have been training is now a big advocate of the new training way. She has a corgi she has been showing in conformation and she is now training in obedience. She must be very dedicated to one thing at a time...conformation or obedience, as I couldn't contain myself and Benji is now doing training in obedience and shortly will be doing rally at the club altho I've started at home a bit. Anyway, to get back to the story. She was trying to get her dog to stand, stay, she would walk to the end of the leash out front of the dog, facing him, and then stand there while another member (another old member who is hot for the new training) walks up to the dog and touches the dog by running their hand along his back and then she moves off and the handler walks up to and around the dog to the heel position. To do the exercise correctly the dog cannot move a foot. Well her dog was moving all over the place. Finally she got upset and said "he doesn't understand the exerciser!" I wonder why. I was the next one to do the exercise and both Connor and [u][i]Benji[/i][/u] did it perfectly. I told them you have to tell them what you want. I took the trouble to explain and show my dogs to get them to understand and that is why they learn much faster! O well. I do feel sorry for the new ones in the game though if they are not given the proper tools to train their dogs and shows wonder why their obedience entries are down.

Back to Pam.....I need to start banding Benji's face now. No broken hairs in the topknot but it is breaking a bit around his mouth. He plays so hard that it is hard to keep his maintenance piggies in so this should be fun. She feels the rest of his hair is doing very well. I got a hydraulic grooming table for Xmas so really like grooming now. I can get my Golden on it or do the feet of my little ones by raising it. I did both Connor and Benji's feet to what I figured they should look like for show and Nomie said I'd done them right. For Benji I just have to leave it almost dragging at the very back she says, but it should grow out just that far by the time I go to the show next month (I've entered him in a pre-novice trial, not that I expect him to pass but I have to find out how this energetic puppy behaves in an obedience ring as I've never had a dog quite this "full of himself". It will be good for conformation and I don't think he'll ever "shut down" in the obedience ring but need to find out). He is still a dog with ADD and even Nomie commented on his excessive energy! Connor romps around like he just threw off a terrible heavy burden when he was cut down.....I'm afraid what Benji would be like if I did his!!

Are there any shows in your near future, Pam? I hope Rich is feeling much better.

Oddly enough, Joyce, Midas doesn't "go" in the house: in that aspect, he's trained. He goes outside...and he goes in his crate. Frankly, I didn't know a dog that size could poop that much. I swear, he poops out more than he takes in! I am still hoping this will end when he's older but at this point I'm not counting on it. Every day as I'm hosing out the crate, I tell him, "You know, this sort of thing could get a dog returned to his breeder".

Drake's facial hair is still not banded: every time I do it, he just rubs his face endlessly and there's breakage. Left "au natural", it stays in good shape. He just recently finished blowing his puppy coat and lost a lot of hair in the process (he still has tons, thank goodness). In about 10 minutes - when I am thoroughly awake - he will be getting up, going out and then having his bath in preparation for three days of shows.