A Diferent Breed Adoptions

TeddieXRuxpin

Yesterday’s adoption was packed with dogs, cats, and people. Every crate was full and some had two or three. We easily had 30+ dogs with plenty of energy and ready to run, run, and run. So no one wanted to sit still for pictures. Some home I did get some, but I’m not sure how. (All of the dogs with metal plate number tag things are with the city)

Sophie, who is with DAS got her picture taken first. I took her out first because I felt so bad for her. She sat in the back of her cage trembling. I took her out to the grass (had to carry her because she wouldn’t walk) and we just sat wit her. It took her a little while to get up enough courage to come up to me, but once she did we did a lot better. Once we got back in I got a bed for her and a towel since I know a lot of the little dogs that come in want to snuggle. Turns out that’s all she needed. A light bulb must have gone off because she was happy, energetic, and a wiggle worm the rest of the day. Came up to the front of the crate every time some one walked by, made her stay with us that much better.

DSC00953.jpg

DSC00959.jpg

These pictures always look like I could crush their heads

DSC00961.jpg

This is Wonton. A needy poodle mix that yes I put in a pink harness. He was to small for the other harnesses and to big for the small ones... So pink it was.

DSC00968.jpg

DSC00969.jpg

This is John Wayne…a hardy Chihuahua who is picky about his friends. He either loves you or hates you. Dog that is. He loves all humans! But once he saw me give Sophie a bed; he wanted one too. The city brought very spoiled dogs. And I wasn’t pinning him down. Lol I was tickling his belly while I was taking the pictures.

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

Little miss Rosey. She loves everyone dogs included and has a TON of energy. Nothing that I’ve seen in a Chi before. Those are all scars on her face and we’re not sure what from. Her owner brought her in that way. We think some one poured something that burned her. It’s also on her back and tail.

DSC01002.jpg

TeddieXRuxpin

Christina is a silly girl. She is still a puppy and wants to be in your face/lap at all times. It was SOOOOOO hard to get a picture of her! I couldn’t get her to sit still or stay out of my lap long enough. She did however find the noise the camera made to be interesting. Kept making her ears go up, to the side, down. hehe

DSC01023.jpg

DSC01025.jpg

Mac is still waiting to be put up for adoption. But he still comes to adoptions. He can only be handled by a couple people though. He’s still so tiny and we have to be careful about germs.

After his bath he thought he tasted pretty good.

DSC01011.jpg

We kept him in the cat room where no one would mess with him, it was quiet, and he could sleep. This is how we found him resting his head...

DSC01134.jpg

His pretty coloring

DSC01163.jpg

And he’s intrigued by the camera like Christina was

DSC01162.jpg

TeddieXRuxpin

The Weim/Lab pups were back and still sleeping away like a puppy does. All clustered together.

DSC01030.jpg

Except the little loner

DSC01035.jpg

Roxie is a new guest foster that came. She’s around 8 months old and was not used to that many dogs! But she warms up fast and loves.

DSC01047.jpg

Even bratty Britches.

DSC01066.jpg

Dave looks like he’s found a good home. It’s not a for sure thing, but the way these two bonded I don’t think she could live without him now. This young woman walked in and fell in love with him. Once she got him out there was no going back. He slept right there for a good two+ hours.

DSC01073.jpg

*All done*

CrazyTzuLady

LOL John Wayne is adorable he looks like he is laughing in that first photo! :telletubbies: You do wonderful work Merrit you should be very proud of yourself. Everyone of those pups are beautiful and I hope they all find their forever homes soon. :(

FairyTail Josette

I hope your adoption event was a huge success! It looks like that little fella, Dave found love. :sadangel:

I was just watching Animal Cops Houston on Animal Planet, and it appeared to me in the Galveston area and an area north of Houson in the poverty stricken areas, residents were "collecting" Pit Bulls, chained on heavy chains, living in mud full of parasites were their beds/homes with no food/water. I thought of you, Merrit, after all the abuse/neglect, none of the pits were aggressive towards the animal cops. They were soooo starved for any kind of fleeting affection as someone walked by. It was very heartbreaking!

TeddieXRuxpin

LOL John Wayne is adorable he looks like he is laughing in that first photo! :bdaycake: You do wonderful work Merrit you should be very proud of yourself. Everyone of those pups are beautiful and I hope they all find their forever homes soon. :wish:

If he had made any noise I would have seriously thought he was laughing. He was wiggling and flipping over. It was so funny and you could tell he just wanted a lap of some one to scratch him. Silly goose!

:sadangel:

I hope your adoption event was a huge success! It looks like that little fella, Dave found love. :wish:

I was just watching Animal Cops Houston on Animal Planet, and it appeared to me in the Galveston area and an area north of Houson in the poverty stricken areas, residents were "collecting" Pit Bulls, chained on heavy chains, living in mud full of parasites were their beds/homes with no food/water. I thought of you, Merrit, after all the abuse/neglect, none of the pits were aggressive towards the animal cops. They were soooo starved for any kind of fleeting affection as someone walked by. It was very heartbreaking!

She's suppose to come back and see us this up coming weekend, but I have a feeling she's going to call before then.

At first I wasn't sure what you meant reading your post lol.

in the poverty stricken areas, residents were "collecting" Pit Bulls, chained on heavy chains, living in mud full of parasites were their beds/homes with no food/water. I thought of you, Merrit

Lol

You know it makes you wonder, or at least makes me wonder, what they must have been thinking. Most of the bullies we get, I take that back, most of the dogs we get let alone the breed are skin and bones, infested with flees, haven't eaten since who knows when. But there is nothing like seeing the "after" with these dogs. When they get plump. :bdaycake: We've had several dogs come back to visit and all we can say is "OMG OMG OMG is that the same dog?". Haha It does the heart good.

Thank you both for taking the time to come look and post. :wish:

• 1 month later...
TeddieXRuxpin

My internet has been out since last Friday so I haven't been on in a while (a while to me..) I missed lots of Otis pictures and silly group shots. Glad to see everyone is still posting lots here!

Before I start we had some bad and good news this week. Unfortunatley Gabby and Godiva came back for two completely different reasons. On the other hand Godiva was adopted out again and to an understanding home with a young girl whom she loves. Milligan the shih Tzu went to a great home and perked up as soon as he got some rest and was in the nice temp apartment. Callie our sweet cattle dog was adopted out as well as Aster. Keep your fingers crossed for everyone!

Another busy weekend at our adoption and yet another dog I wanted to bring home. I've turned into a bully junkie. lol Almost every pittie that comes in I want to pack up in the car and take home. When there wasn't some one calling me for paper work or to get a picture of this or that dog I was out in the field with Stella. She is with a rescue group we show at out storefront at adoptions. Stella was found with a litter of 5 puppies and all have been adopted except one. This girl thankfully got a fantastic application and will be going to a house with two little girls (human) and a male (I think also a pit). A family that is responsible and loves the breed. Just were she should be.

It was hot like last week, around 104*, and I walked the 10 hours I was there.

So we sat outside and I talked with her and told her how good she was and how pretty. Kissed, hugged, and smooshed her cute little face. One pit down, only a trillion to go. lol

038-1.jpg

036-2.jpg

Her cure for standing up was plopping into my lap. Silly girl.

035-2.jpg

When we came in after sitting out there maybe 20-30 minutes she layed on the cool tile floor frog style.

023-2.jpg

*MORE*

Edited by TeddieXRuxpin
TeddieXRuxpin

Another handsome fella is Cody, a Catahoula mix. He is around 5 1/2 to 6 months old and was found wondering down a street. This sweet boy is in the same foster as Roxie who I posted about months back. They get along great and Roxie has taken him under her wing. He's a huge baby with a slightly shy, but outgoing personality. He'll get adopted in no time at all. All of these pictures make the dogs look huge, but he's only about 30-40 pounds.

047-3.jpg

040-3.jpg

His nose is my favorite part.

043-2.jpg

Radar is new with us. He was found as a stray on the street. When he was picked up he was in perfect condition; even had trimmed nails. Though no one came forward to clame him so we took him in. He's in a great foster home and this was his first ever adoption. He did very good for as noisy as it was. A super smart boy and a lover.

039-2.jpg

*MORE*

TeddieXRuxpin

These two girls look so much alike I can't keep their names straight, but they both were pulled before euthanasia. One is Collon and the other is Javah. They are around 5-6 months old and tiny! They would make wonderful apartment dogs.

053-1.jpg

055-3.jpg

The only way I can tell is because I put different collars on them. Oh and the fact one is shy and the other is all in your face. lol

057-2.jpg

059-1.jpg

*MORE*

TeddieXRuxpin

Oh and the fun of the day was a dog that was dropped off. He was found in a dumpster all by himself. Poor thing is skinny and bald from mange. From all of the dogs I've seen it's sarcoptic and not demodectic. I set him up in a crate in the back of the storefront because in the few minutes he was out in the front I had to tell 10 people not to stick their fingers in his cage. It's obvious he had something going on lol I wouldn't have touched him if I weren't a volunteer or getting him from the dumpster. He's a love bug and just wants to play. Hopefully his hair will grow back with time and he wont be itching so much. He look like a pit mix in person maybe with some lab? He's got a brindle coat and I know that's not Lab.

065-3.jpg

062-3.jpg

064-3.jpg

103-2.jpg

*MORE*

TeddieXRuxpin

I was called in from the field to get pictures of Orville. Sounds asleep with a look alike stuffed dog..

056-3.jpg

The rest of these guys were dropped off at the end of the day. They were all pulled from different places and are now being placed in a foster home.

First up is Nugget. He was brought into a vet clinic to be neutered and the "owner" never came back to pick him up. Being a puppy he is full of energy and a pain in the butt. I think this is the first dog that has upset me on an outing lol. His foster is going to have her hands full with him. He's suppose to be around 7 month and a Schnoodle? Schanuzer/ Poodle. I'm not good with all the designer names. Some groing up and good training will make him into a wonderful dog.

071-4.jpg

068-3.jpg

Shirley and Laverne that are suppose to be two females.. I know there is a winky on one of them. So I don't know for sure, but these two have similar attitudes. Both are friendly and love people. Most of all they have a pair of lungs! They can scream like no puppy I know.

076-3.jpg

079-3.jpg

082-2.jpg

*MORE*

TeddieXRuxpin

Myra is a Chihuahua/Rat Terrier and probably 10-15 pounds. She was teriffed when I first got her outside, but as soon as I pulled out the treats she'd sit, wait, lay down, and even let me move her around. She got into my lap and gave me kisses. It's funny how something so small can make them so happy.

087-3.jpg

Did some one say TREAT?

088-1.jpg

This silly man is Hank. We already have a Hank that we call Hanky Pankie..So I'm thinking we make change his name to Frank... That way we can have a Hanky Pankie and a Franky Spankie. lol It would fit his so well. I have no clue what he is, but he's built like out Hank so maybe a little Dachshund in there? His face doesn't look lile any breed to me though.

092-1.jpg

This is his face when you have a treat out and you talk to him. He does a funny snarky talk so you can see his teeth. I was laughing so hard at him and then he's stop, hop up, and look at me like "WTH are you laughing at? You're suppose to be intimidated!"

095-2.jpg

This is the third sibling of Tammy and Lenny, his name is Leo.

102-2.jpg

That is is for now. Thanks for taking a look this week! Be sure to come back next week.

CrazyTzuLady

What beautiful babies again this week Merrit, it is still amazing to me that people just discard them without a care in the world, it is so sad. Thank god for people like you. :)

BTW Orville is such a cutie :blush-anim-cl: and Stella is beautiful! :head_hurts_kr:

Thank you for sharing their stories with us. :)

FairyTail Josette

So many lovely furbabies. It makes me so sad to hear their stories, I hope they all find forever homes, soon.

Does your rescue organization accept all breeds? Is it really true that small dogs at the humane society find homes right away? If so, do you think the majority are going to loving homes forever? Or, do you think even the small breeds end up back at the humane society for euthanasia? TIA.....just curious.

:head_hurts_kr: Merrit, for sharing these wonderful furkids.

TeddieXRuxpin

So many lovely furbabies. It makes me so sad to hear their stories, I hope they all find forever homes, soon.

Does your rescue organization accept all breeds? Is it really true that small dogs at the humane society find homes right away? If so, do you think the majority are going to loving homes forever? Or, do you think even the small breeds end up back at the humane society for euthanasia? TIA.....just curious.

:head_hurts_kr: Merrit, for sharing these wonderful furkids.

I think it depends on the dog. It's shown pretty true that small dogs go fast. It's one reason we have so many now. We can pull a lot of little dogs from different rescue's euthanasia lists and get them adopted right away. Most of the little ones we have we have less than a month. Once they're checked out by the vet and get that OK then we're all ready to go.

I'm not sure with the city and how many they get back. With all of our dogs we do a home check to make sure it's the right fit for that dog. We don't have an over all written list. There are all different needs for each dog. We've been pulling so many smaller dogs lately that it does seem like there are more, but there are always tons of little ones. In the last 6 months we've had 4-5 shih tzus alone I can't count the number of Chihuahuas, poodle mixes, dachshunds etc. They are every where.

Thank you Barb and Suzi. :)

Edited by TeddieXRuxpin
FairyTail Josette

We've been pulling so many smaller dogs lately that it does seem like there are more, but there are always tons of little ones. In the last 6 months we've had 4-5 shih tzus alone I can't count the number of Chihuahuas, poodle mixes, dachshunds etc. They are every where.

Merrit, this is so frustrating. We need lobbyists to work on our behalf for stricter laws on breeders, imo. Our newspapers are FULL of breeders with designer dogs, and all breeds. There used to be maybe, 100 bybreeders in the paper....now, there's triple that, sometimes. Brokers, mills, backyard breeders it's obvious to anyone with breeder education and we haven't even touched on the mass of internet breeder websites.

Josey's breeder has in her contract that buyer is REQUIRED at BREEDER'S expense, not buyer's, she will take back any of her puppies for the lifetime of the dog, for any reason. She wants to do everything possible to make sure none of her pups end up at shelters. This shld be a required law on breeders.

I know Austrailia was talking about stricter laws/regulations for breeders. Has your organization discussed this? I know this would be very difficult. But, they just passed a smoking ban at all bars/restaurants, here. I was surprised it went through. I think it could be done, but, lobbyists need to start the ball rolling. I've thought about calling our Animal Rescue League Director. Lobbyists are key.

Wicket's mom

So many babies, it would break my heart do to your work Merrit; but it's so fantastic what you're doing for them all! My husband and I were just talking a few days ago on how you shouldn't be able to breed dogs at all without a lisence and follow a certain set of rules. I know that's nearly impossible but it would save on having so many homeless furbabies.

TeddieXRuxpin

Merrit, this is so frustrating. We need lobbyists to work on our behalf for stricter laws on breeders, imo. Our newspapers are FULL of breeders with designer dogs, and all breeds. There used to be maybe, 100 bybreeders in the paper....now, there's triple that, sometimes. Brokers, mills, backyard breeders it's obvious to anyone with breeder education and we haven't even touched on the mass of internet breeder websites.

Josey's breeder has in her contract that buyer is REQUIRED at BREEDER'S expense, not buyer's, she will take back any of her puppies for the lifetime of the dog, for any reason. She wants to do everything possible to make sure none of her pups end up at shelters. This shld be a required law on breeders.

I know Austrailia was talking about stricter laws/regulations for breeders. Has your organization discussed this? I know this would be very difficult. But, they just passed a smoking ban at all bars/restaurants, here. I was surprised it went through. I think it could be done, but, lobbyists need to start the ball rolling. I've thought about calling our Animal Rescue League Director. Lobbyists are key.

Being a small non profit rescue group there isn't that much we can do to shut down mills, stores, and bybs. We sign petitions, hand out flyers, and do most of what we can, but without the city's help it stops there. We just got two dogs, I think I posted them last week, Rocco and Katchina. They were pulled when a puppy mill was shut down. We literally get dogs from every where. lol Lately it's been mostly the euthanasia lists because we can place most of the small dogs on those lists. It jus goes to show how many adoptable dogs are being put to sleep. We do get larger dogs too, but it takes a lot longer to get them adopted.

For example Britches is my foster and he's been with me 4 months now. That's not a super long time, but what's holding people from adopting him? He is well mannered, knows a list of commands, is both crate and potty trained, loves kids, gets along with all dogs no matter the breed or size, plays fetch and catch, swims, walks perfect on a leash, he's photogenic, doesn't bark..But all people see is that he's a pit bull.

Though we did just have a pit adopted (Stella) who I posted about this week. While she is a sweet heart and I lover her to bit; she barks like crazy and does not like bing in a crate, she pulls on a leash, and she knows no commands. I don't understand that. lol :)

It takes a while, but that right person will come along.

With the little dogs(shih tzus a lot of the time) we have a week and they're off to their good home.

Sorry that ended up into such a long rant. :hug:

So many babies, it would break my heart do to your work Merrit; but it's so fantastic what you're doing for them all! My husband and I were just talking a few days ago on how you shouldn't be able to breed dogs at all without a lisence and follow a certain set of rules. I know that's nearly impossible but it would save on having so many homeless furbabies.

I couldn't agree more with that! If that were the law we would probably have 1/3 or even 1/4 of the dogs in shelters that we do now. Something so simple to fix a lot of the problems.