Question?

Does anyone ever think that sometimes rescues put out too hard of a adoption process?

I've always wanted to adopt some shih tzu's.... as, yes... puppies are adorable and cute, but it's just easier to adopt an older dog that you already might know what to expect from them...

I don't live near any big shih tzu rescues... I've contacted some hours away... but they instantly refused me due to the distance..

I've tried adopting shih tzu's or shih tzu mixes from the two humane societies near me... and they instantly turned me down because I don't have a fenced in yard...

It just fusterated me...

It just seems easier for me now to buy a new puppy... rather then spend around 2 thousand to build a solid fence around our property and then an adoption fee..... but it breaks my heart!

I kind of live out in the country... low traffic area... big yard.. we hate to build a fence because we have a beautiful river plus rock hills on the other side of the river... and putting up a fence would hide the beauty from our deck and rear facing windows...

Edited by Dyana

I find that to be true as well! It's just like buying a house. Not only do I have a distance issue, but I have the children issue too. Most of the ones that have caught my eye aren't good with children.

Pam

tzukeeper

I have been turned down as well. The reason given was that I had a 10 year old son. I could have given those sweet babies a wonderful home but because of the judgments passed on me and my family those 2 dogs were still awaiting a forever home over a year later. Recently I contacted a rescue about a little girl Shih Tzu and was turned down because I don't take my dogs to the vet every year to get all those shots they push. I only do the required rabies vaccine. It's really sad that in their efforts to do good they are pushing people to purchase puppies from the very places they preach against.

We actually volunteered to foster for two local Shih Tzu rescues. Our refs were impeccable, we have a fenced yard and live across the street from a park. Both told us our applications were approved and then we never heard from them again. I think some of these rescues need to get their acts together.

ShihtzuBeauty

Yes even though w/my last one I really wanted a liver featured baby I did alot of researching w/my vet. and local shelter plus abroad and when I did have to go out of state I wasn't even considered. I would have loved to rescue but they made it impossible. I thought the issue was finding these unfortunate babies wonderful forever homes? :signthankspin:

I know... it just confuses and fusterates me!

I think the fact that I'm also a student and only working On-Call at a daycare doesnt seem to favour me either... Im going to College through distant learning JUST so I can stay at home with my 2 shih tzus I currently have... soon to be 3!

And once schooling is finished... my on-call job will turn to full time...

tashi love

Personally I think that the screening process is a good thing, they truly want to find the best homes for these dogs, many of whom have been neglected or mistreated. They also get a lot of applications, especially for healthy, younger dogs and there may be many people who qualify and they can only pick one, they are also run by volunteers who have jobs and families and not always enough time to contact every applicant. Many rescues take the responsibility of finding good homes very seriously and I am glad they do. I have applied 5 times and missed out on each one, i work at home, i have a fenced yard etc. I try not to take it personally, instead I believe when the right dog comes along it is because it was meant to be. That is how I got Tashi.

Most reputable breeders will also screen prospective owners very carefully too.

ShihtzuBeauty

I'm all for the screening process, the more stringent the better but I don't understand why you can't easily adopt from out of state espicially w/vet. references etc...

tashi love

As far as the out of state adoptions go, I would think if they had, for example, four applicants that all had great criteria and one of them was out of state, then they would go with the closer ones first. Each rescue is different, some will only adopt dogs in the city from which they operate, others will go further afield. There is a great Shih Tzu rescue in Washington state very close to the Canadian border and they frequently let their dogs get adopted to Canadians. You do have to be willing to go and see the dog etc., many rescues make you sign a contract that you will not give or sell the dog to anyone else, and that you will return it to the rescue instead. The further away you live the harder this is to enforce.

I hear all of your pain...I too have looked for along time for a special dog. I bought my Boston terrier and pug as I never found a rescue that would adopt to me...My yard is not fenced but I do put mine in a 3 section 36 in tall exercise pen if the want to stay outside but I am busy in the yard. Never left alone. This is why adopting Belle is an honor. This shelter was more interested in the love I can give her . I do have a regular Vet that I have went to for yrs and I do keep the shots up to date and have an open heart which can hold another dog . This sweetie is desjvu for me. 3 yrs ago I lost another wonderful friend named Belle..She was a yellow lab who was in the house with us . She was one of the best and had to leave me much too soon. It still brings tears to my eyes thinking about her...I keep a frame photo of her just days before she died on my pc desk. I just found my new Belle on Monday and called her foster Mom at length . Thank goodness in my 3 converstations with the foster Mom I must have come across to her the love and companionship Belle would have with us and our fur babies. There was other apps on her but I was chosen. the little girl is special and I knew after reading about her and the name that this one was "the one" for us. It was like a omen....I will in no way compare her to my lab. It is hard to explain but someone from above helped me find little Belle.

Wicket's mom

I agree that the screeing is a good thing, but sometimes maybe a little too strict. Like not letting you adopt a puppy because you have a child at home or no fence is a bit too much. I understand the fence if there are other animals or things that might be threatening to the puppy in the neighborhood, but if not; a good leash and close supervision should be enough right?

ShihtzuBeauty

:pray: Becky for sharing your story. It was very touching.

ladyclover

Hi, everybody , I haven't been on for awhile. I've been very busy this spring. We remodled our kitchen and did some painting and pressure washing of the house. So i'm glad to have some time to come back to this site ( which i love so much) My husband called me Monday and told me there were two little dogs outside his factory that really needed some help. Of course i couldn't turn down an unwanted stray, so he brought the dog home with him from work. A lady in the office took the other one. The poor thing was matted so bad their wasn't a spot on the body you could touch without a matt. I couldn't even see his ears. I just sat and cried , too think some one could be so cruel as to let these two get in such bad shape. We went to the Vet Tuesday and he couldn't tell if he was male or female either because the poor thing was so matted. He said he would have to put the dog under anesthia to shave him down, he was that bad. He kept him overnight ( he finally called and said it was a male 6 mos. to a year old) I went and picked him up Wednesday he was so happy to see me , he practically jumped into my arms. I couldn't believe he had no sores on his little body, I though he would probably be ate up with fleas or whatever. The vet said he had an undercoat that was matted to his body and had already grew a top coat over that. His tests all came out fine he said everything seemed to check out all right with him. He weighed seven and a half pounds when i took him in and after they shaved him down to the skin he only weighed six pounds. He's so undernourished , just makes me sick . But i'm going to get him fattened up with some good food. He eats like he's never going to see food again. Maggie and Molly don't know what to think their being really cautious with him , hopefully they'll like him as much as we do. Just take some time for them to get adjusted. I named him Elvis. We don't really know what kind of dog he is hienze 57 i think , but that's all right as long as him and the girls get along okay. I'm going to get him neutered as soon as he's put some weight on and gets a little stronger. He's got a wonderful disposition for all the little fella's been through. All three of them are laying here in the computer room with me , sleeping like little babies. I'm going through the potty traing again. He doesn't like it when i put him in his crate. But he's getting better about it. Anyway it's time to go for a potty break since he just sat up and looked at me with those pretty little eyes. Here's a couple of pics of him one before he was shaved and one after he was shaved.

ShihtzuBeauty

"People" just make me Sick!!! What a Beautiful baby he is. :blush-anim-cl: You're an angel for taking him in.

ladyclover

Thanks , Melissa i think people who throw away puppies , should be locked up and throw away the key!!!! These two little guys were in deplorable condition and we've had some 90 plus degree days not to mention all the flooding we've had. It's a miracle they made it this long. Just breaks my heart everytime i hear about some of the horror stories of what happens to animals. Anyway he's found him a forever home now.

He is darling, and God bless you for taking him in. Please keep letting us know how he does.

Shih Tzus Mama

He is so lucky to have found you. Lots of TLC is on his way from very loving people. Bless your big hearts.

Elvis is soo lucky to have found you and your hubby!

TeddieXRuxpin

I don't know and maybe it's because I've been with rescue for a while.

With our rescue we have the application, our adoption fee is $150, refferences both vet and friend, homecheck, and we also talk to the adopter before they get the dog. Most people think that's crazy; the adoption fee alone. When you add up the spay, shots (puppy shots), microchip, and any care if the dog is sick. That comes out to be a lot more than $150.

The homechecks are a MUST. Not only for the safety of the dog, but that is a lot of money we put into each animal that could just go down the drain. That is one reason we don't adopt out of state. If we can't do a homecheck the adoption doesn't go through. It sucks to turn some one down when in your heart you know it would be a great home, but we just can't do that. I however don't see that as a terrible thing. We're run out of foster homes and volunteers. Right now the money that goes into these dogs are coming out of the fosters pockets. (Rescue going through problems, long story) That's even more of a risk. Every one of our dogs goes through a homecheck.

I have seen rescues wanting $700+ for an dog. Pure breed or not that just makes people go to a petshop where they can get a, sometimes cheaper, puppy of the same breed and not go through the troubles of a rescue or homeschek. I think there is a line some rescues cross, but I do agree (on most cases) on the no adopting out of state.

CrazyTzuLady

I'm with Melissa some people just make me sick! :) Connie you are a very special person to take this little guy and give him a wonderful home with lots of love,I assure you you won't be sorry. Elvis is a very lucky little pup and he is adorable to! :tapfingers5rg: I can't wait to hear all about him. Congratulations!

FairyTail Josette

Ladyclover, Connie, thank you for sharing your story and Elvis's pics. What a sweet little man you have. :tapfingers5rg:

Please, keep updating us on Elvis's progress. Your hubby and you are angels on earth. :)

ladyclover

Thanks everybody for all the nice things you've said I've said it before and I'll say it again this is the best board , with the best people, and the cutest furbabies I've ever seen.

Elvis is adjusting very well. He's even starting to relax and he's trying very hard to fit in. The girls are somewhat cautious of him still, but I know that will take time. He's even starting to play with some toys , which i find to be a really good sign. He watched the girls playing and decided he wanted to get in the action too. Last night he was laying on the couch with his feet up in the air and his head on a pillow. I think he's going to bring us a lot of joy. I couldn't help but look over at him and laugh because he looked so cute laying there like that. He looks at us like "Man is this the way life is suppose to be" , regular meals everyday , water to drink , he's just now drinking out of a bowl. Before he would knock it over and drink the water up from the floor. I'll be glad when he eventually takes the time to actually chew his food and not just gulp it down. I think it won't be long before he realizes he is being fed reguarly. The potty training is going well so far. He knows when i say " Let's go Potty" that he's going out on his leash. So i think he's going to be a pretty smart little guy. I'll keep you posted on his progress and again thanks for all your concern.
:hug:

ShihtzuBeauty

:hug: Hugs

You are such an angel for adopting him. He was so fortunate to not have sores and that his condition was not too bad. How does he seem emotionally, is he adapting okay. My best to you and to the little guy. Hugs to you both.