Question?

FairyTail Josette

Connie, I enjoyed reading your update. Elvis sounds like such a sweet boy!

How old is he? Does he like the water/swimming? What's his favorite toy? Please post more pics of him when you have time. :roflmao:

CrazyTzuLady

Elvis sounds like a real sweety, and you sound like you are really enjoying him. :roflmao: for giving us an update I can't wait to hear more about him. More piccies please!!!

ladyclover

Well everybody i'm pleased to tell you that Elvis has pretty much settled in. The girls are still a little leary of him . I know that will work itself out in time. Were getting ready to go on vacation for a week or so. Elvis is taking to the potty training really well much better than i had expected. He's beginning to get some meat on his bones so he doesn't look as boney. Anyway here are a couple of pics , I think you'll see he's a pretty happy guy. :head_hurts_kr:

CrazyTzuLady

Aw I love that second pic isn't he just precious! :head_hurts_kr: That first picture cracks me up with the girls looking on in the background........lol. :) I am so glad to hear that he is settling in and things are going good, have a wonderful vacation! :)

I wanted to rescue a Shih Tzu. I put in a application and was accepted. The problem was I couldn't find a Shih Tzu. The 1st one needed a women only house. The 2nd one needed someone home all day. The 3rd one needed to be the only dog. A few were blind, but I had to many stairs in my house. I had no problem with the screening process or the specifics these dogs needed, because they need the perfect forever home. There will be someone who will take them. So after 7 months of searching, I went with a puppy. But I would have loved to adopt. Now for my black lab I adopted, I got him at Petsmart adoption days. I filled out a application and had the money and Bob came home with me within 20 minutes. I really believe that the right dog will come at the right time.

I am happy Elvis found you and is safe now.

• 2 weeks later...
ladyclover

Hi, everybody. Were back from vacation. We had a nice relaxing vacation. Went to Diamond Caverns in Kentucky. We camped at a real nice campground. The furbabies seemed to enjoy all the attention that was paid to them. Here are a few pics . They all three are getting along so well. I'm taking Elvis to the Vet Tuesday and I'm going to set up a time for him to be neutered. He still squats to pee pee . So I think he's old enough to be neutered.

CrazyTzuLady

Aw what cute pics :) I love that last one and that is great that they all seem to like each other. I am glad you had a nice vacation, welcome back! :crying:

ShihtzuBeauty

Welcome back! :hug: That las pic. of them crashed is Adorable!!! :)

Mom-Abby

Very nice pictures. I am so glad Elvis has settled in so well. He's a lucky little boy, looks so cute with his new siblings.

UrsusArctos

Oh My Gosh! This is a subject near and dear to my heart.

First of all- I fully understand the desire of rescues to find a forever home for their dogs. Often times they have already been through so much- but still, some rescues leave a bad taste in my mouth.

For instance, my best friend and her husband got to rent a dog friendly apartment. She works full time and brings home a lot of money, and he was in his senior year of college earning a degree in Wildlife Management, and had spent two summers working with Bats and was extremely knowledgable on animals in general.

So they wanted to adopt a dog. They go to a rescue- first of all, before they can ever LOOK at a dog, they had to have an interview. Ok. Then, they called the landlord and got the OK. Then, the rescuer told THEM what kind of dog they should get, and eventually turned them away because they don't adopt to "college students". Seriously, wtf? So, they went and found an ethical Corgi breeder and bought a dog, which was great, BUT, most people will probably decide, screw it, I'm just going to get any dog, and hence, backyard breeders start to make profits, and then, everyone looses.

I also tried to adopt before getting Oliver. I rescued a pitbull (I had done extensive knowledge on the breed and decided I would enjoy it) from the local shelter. They told me he was 6 months old and temperament tested. Well, long story short, the dog was over 1 year old, confirmed rfom the vet, had a body wide yeast infection, was totally unsound, attacked my boyfriend, and was eventually euthanized by the shelter because it was out of control. I then looked into rescueing a Shih Tzu, but again, I was denied because I was a renter.

I found my breeder and thank GOD I did. She was knowledgeble, polite, and helpful. Oliver is now 1 year old and gets daily walks, the best food and treats, and is loved more than anything. It makes me wonder how many excellent potential adopters are turned away for stupid reasons, without taking the time to seriously consider who is applying for adoption. I can see why there would be a policy to not adopt to most college students- by why deny a man who is 25 years old, working on a Pre-vet degree, with a working wife, adoption of a dog?