Can I be totally cheeky please and ask for your opinions?

Can I be totally cheeky please and ask for your opinions please? I am very proud of the new website I have designed for my own business. I am a Home Makeover Consultant and would love your (honest) feedback. Tell me what you think - I'm a big girl I can handle it :rolleyes:

This is it Claire's Home Makeover Website

:mf_seehearspeak:

Your Website looks very nice! Wish you lived here to work on mine :mf_seehearspeak:

Claire, I honestly think you did a fabulous job. I have only one suggestion and of course it is JMO...hope you really don't mind. I think the orange color on your home page is a bit bright. I love the tan/green color later. Perhaps you could just tone down the home page. It is rather difficult to read the contrast between the orange and off white of the lettering. I do love the layout and virtually everything else. You did a great job. I love your business, wish you were here to help me.

I built my own website too and it is very difficult to step back an take a good look. You are smart to ask opinion and hope for some really nice constructive feedback.

Edited by catnjr
FairyTail Josette

Great job! :thumbup: I do agree with Cathy though, the home page (orange color) gave me a headache as I was reading...sorry. I liked the sage green color....much easier on the eyes. Good luck!

CrazyTzuLady

Looks great! :thumbup: I love the orange but that's my favorite color so I guess it does'nt count. :note: Now why could'nt you live a little closer????????? :D

:thumbup: For your feedback - your comments made me see that I needed to make visitors to my website more awasre of my Virtual Home Makeover Service!!

I dont need to live near you (although that of course would be nice!) I offer the Virtual Home Makeover Service which enables me to help and advise anyone, anywhere in the world. All people need to do is to send me photographs of their homes/rooms they want madeover and I can send back a full written report!!

Have a look if you want to......... Claire's Virtual Home Makeover Page

It really looks nice and what a great concept.

I do have to agree with the orange comment though. Orange is one of those colors either people like it or they do not. Just my opinion but most people wanting to do a make over would want either a more classic look ( blues, rose) or contemporary ( dark green, reds..). Just a suggestion..

Claire, I think it looks wonderful (but I agree about the orange, and I do like orange).

Some suggestions: Under the Home Staging website page

3rd paragraph, you need to put an apostrophe so it says home's best features -- also, eliminate the apostrophe in "it's weaknesses".

(the use of the apostrophe is tricky but vital for anyone writing to know how to use. When you use it to say "it's weaknesses", you've really said "it is weaknesses" I suggest picking up a copy of The Elements of Grammar by Margaret Shertzer. She has several pages about the use of the apostrophe. A lot of people tend to stick them anywhere before an S, but it's much more complicated than that.

Also, same page 4th paragraph, the first sentence needs to be cut into two of them--it's a run-on sentence now. Also, it says "you current" when you mean "your current"

I'd go through and eliminate at least half the exclamation points. Also, consider eliminating the asterisks (*)

I have more suggestions, Claire, but must get on with the day. I think it is beautiful, just needs some tweaking. Will get back to you. (Remember, you asked for it!)

:dede: Paula! Noted!!

It's funny! The orangey red colour appeals to clients in the UK and Europe but not to Americans. My step kids live out in San Diego and we frequently travel out there to see them. I have also travelled all over the US for my job and visited many homes belonging to my colleagues - a huge percentage of homes from the east coast to the west coast, from the northern states to the southern all had 'beige' decor!! There was no colour except a hundred shades of beige!! No 'feature' walls, no cool wallpapers, nothing! This intrigued me...... so off I went to have a look in Home Depot to see what they were offering - BEIGE, BEIGE and more BEIGE. Now I know why the orange colour hits you guys straight in the face!! I guess I'll have to find a happy medium! :rolleyes:

That is so funny because all of my wall ARE Beige . I do need a change. But I put off painting as long as I can ..lol Orange isn't one my favorite colors either.

Seastar, you are like my DIL she is a English teacher. I am awful so if you read my post there is no telling if I do it all right or not. Just look over it :hug: I wish there was a grammar button like the spell check! :dede:

I know of someone that wrote a letter to his sister who is a English teacher and put all of these .,:;'?"!at the bottom of the page and told her to put them where they go :rolleyes:

Although doing a web page should really be correct . I think it is nice that you gave her advice on the Grammar.

CrazyTzuLady

I know of someone that wrote a letter to his sister who is a English teacher and put all of these .,:;'?"!at the bottom of the page and told her to put them where they go :)

LMAO that is funny! :D

Claire, that is an interesting observation about the orange.

Actually, I love orange and it wasn't really the color orange as it was the combination of the orange and off white print. Made it very difficult to read. If you love the orange perhaps you could change the font color may help.

I am in the US, and I do love earth tone color, BUT, my dining room and guest bathroom are a very dark brick RED and the majority of the rest of my home is a moss green....so, I do love color....

You certainly have a great concept with your business. Have you been in business long and are just now starting the web concept? I wish you great success. :dede:

I love color, but I hate painting! Our house is small and in the woods, and so all walls are white, but with dark wood wainscoting. If I painted the colors I'd like to use, it would be too dark. Is there a color that is actually brighter than white/off-white? Maybe yellow?

• 4 weeks later...
UrsusArctos

Hi!

As a graphic designer, some things jumped out at me.

1) Lack of logo.

A logo is essential for ALL businesses. It should be used consistently on your businesscard, letterheads, promotions, and website. If you do not yet have a logo, I strongly suggest you hire a graphic designer to create one for you. Don't skimp on this- it is huge key to being perceived professionally.]

2) Lack of consistent look throughout site.

You switch between the reddish orange and the olive color through portions of the sites, your font and point size vary, and banners change. Everything throughout the website should remain consistent and clean.

3) Lack of photos.

I was able to find your before and after photos after searching, but please remember that most people will go to a website and decide wtihin 10 seconds whether or not they want to stay there. You should provide a link to Before and After photographs on your homepage, so they can easily see exactly what kind of services you provide.

Personally, if I were going to go through a designer like this, I would want to just let the work speak for itself, so you should show off the photos and keep text and text color limited. Consider making the site more of a portfolio and having a seperate page for information- people love imagery over text any day. I would like to see a sophisticated typeface, just simple, black and white. A common mistake of people designing websites is that they believe that their site needs to be ueber colorful to avoid being too bland. With designers in particular, this is a bad move, as you should appear flexible and clean, and fonts and site colors do affect peoples opinions strongly.

I do think you are on the right track- Just some simple refinements and I think you will be quite successful.