Am I not training him the right way?

My shih tzu is now 4 months old; I've had him since he was 6 weeks. I am trying to pottytrain him on pee pads indoors but have had basically no luck. He runs to his pads when I say "go potty!" but he won't do anything on them. It seems like the second I step away or direct my attention someplace else, he will pee on the kitchen floor, even right in front of me. He seems to be holding it while in his crate lately though. Is this normal for a 4 month old puppy? Do I just need to be patient or am I doing things the wrong way? Any suggestions?

enchantedmountain

Potty training is hard either way you look at it. They are all so different. I personally think it is harder to try and potty pad or train them to do it in a certain spot indoors. did you try giving him a treat when he does go in the right spot and then make sure you really scold him for going in the wrong spot. Make sure he is crated or confined in someway when you are not watching him. Every time he goes somewhere without immediatly being scolded (it doesn't work to scold them after the fact) is a set back. I only train to go outdoors so someone might have some tricks for the indoor training. Sometimes they don't understand that it is only one certain spot they need to go, so I think treats would help.

FairyTail Josette

Josey's breeder trained her to go on potty pads.

She had Josey for 4 months so she came home to me pretty much potty trained. She told me to never put your potty pads on carpet, btw. Leave the pad in the same spot on your tile, and just keep reinforcing her to go there. When we got her home, Josey had a few accidents and when I caught her in the act, I set her on the potty pad and said, go potty....and she would run off it as fast as she could go...I kept doing that and it worked. Josey's breeder recommended the x pen, when I'm not able to supervise her. She goes on the pad when we are gone, and outdoors when we are home. Josey is pretty small, there's no way she can hold it for more than 3-4 hours, so, that's how we train. Consistency and rewarding is key. Big treat party when he goes on the pad, or, very near it. He's still very young. Some are just harder and take longer than others, too. It's like having a baby, you can't take your eyes off them for a minute, or, bad habits will start and stay with them. There's no magical age that they "get it" it took me months upon months with Mandy to potty train her and Cody and Josey picked it up immediately. It just takes time, everyone has a different method of potty training, outside vs. pads, find what works for you and your lifestyle and stay with that method, changing things around will only confuse them. Most of my friends that have Maltese train with great success with the potty pads. Hope this helps. :dede:

ShihtzuBeauty

Hi and Welcome to the family! :) All of mine use the pads and it does take a Ton of consistancy and a great deal of paitence and in general they aren't "trained" 'til about 1yr. :D

CrazyTzuLady

I agree with everyone it takes a lot of patience and consistency but eventually he will get it. 4 months is still really young, I know some have theirs potty trained rather quickly but from my experience it takes quite a while for them to get the hang of it, like Melissa said I would'nt completely trust them until about a year.

BTW Welcome to the family I hope we get to hear all about your little man, Love your avatar he is so cute! :D

Ozzy'sMommy

oz's breeder started him on potty training. he wasn't 100% until he was about ummm...i can't remember it wasn't until he was probably about 7 months.

have lots of patience and give treats when he goes on the pad. and sometimes you do have to stand there and watch while they go.

let us know how it goes.

I do agree with picking a plan and sticking to it. One helpful thing is to monitor and schedule their eating regiment. That helps with poo especially, but also tinkleing. We did a happy dance just like with children as you potty train them, if you have. They must know how thrilled you are when they do good and how unhappy you are when they do not. Also agreeing, that if you don't catch them in the "bad" act, just clean it and forget it, it is too late. If you catch them doing wrong, firmly say NO and pick them up and put them on the pad and say good boy, just because he is on there. Then if he finishes or next time, have a happy dance and give treats and good boy out the kazoo...

The pads didn't work for me, I tried them only two days and realized I really want mine to go outside and felt using the pad was giving him an excuse to go inside the house. So, I opted to use the out of doors, regardless of the weather, but was my choice, so I can't complain when it rains.

Good luck and also I believe in crate training, regardless of in or outdoor training. I would crate whenever you are not 100% devoted to watching him. If you put him in the crate, EVERY time you take him out, put him on the pad and tell him to "go potty". When he does, do your dance.....then play with him or feed or whatever, but put him back in if you can't watch him. He will soon get the idea that going on the pad is expected when out of the crate FIRST thing. There are a lot of posts regardig crate training and some very good advice.

GOOD LUCK, keep us posted on how it goes with your adorable little guy. He is just too cute.

well maci was trained when i got her... but the pups are now 4 months old today. Lea is completely trained so far. She rings the poochie bells to go out. Bert is semi trained, he uses the pads and goes outside, but then also has accidents when my back is turned.

Bert used to be the one who never had accidents. Now he does. I must get better with training him because I know he can do it and I only have 5 pads left and refuse to buy more, he's so smart in every other way. And is willing to please. They are both crate trained.

I used a divider with Lea, no blankeys, no toys. She got put in the crate when I could not watch her. When she came out, I had her to ring the bells with the command "potty, ring the bells" I made her touch them in some way before going out, even if i had to take them off the door and hang them in front of her face with my finger. Then she would go poo/pee outside. Immediately upon entering the door, she gets a treat. Then she eats/play for a bit, if its been awhile maybe an half hour to hour, then take her back out especially if she's ate, then back in her crate she goes. I done this for 2 to 3 days and she was trained.

I also had to take up all rugs except the one by the front door. To my surprise she's never had an accident on it after she got trained.

My suggestion is to keep them contained while not 100% with them and try not to use the pads unless you have to have to. lol

Pro's for pads - you dont have to take them out while raining/snowing or while your deathly ill!

Cons for pads - $$$ and harder to train when you decide to change your mind to potty outside, more garbage in the trash if your eco friendly.

There may be more to that list but i cannot think of anything else now.

Good luck

Edited by Stacey
  • 1 month later...

I just wanted to post an update on my stubborn boy who I tried to potty train to go indoors on the pee pads :console: After 4 months of trying, I finally gave up because he was not progressing and I was tired of cleaning the carpets all the time. He would just NOT use the pee pads. I decided on Saturday to take him outside and IT WORKS. He's literally had 2 accidents in 3 days which is a miracle..LOL. He completely "gets it" and doesn't even have to be told to go when I let him out.

Just thought I'd share this...I guess they really do have a mind of their own!

It sounds like to me the words " go potty" to him is like saying go to a spot like " go to bed" etc. Trying using a different cue word when he goes potty outside. Or better yet, start training him to go outside. Have you cleaned the floor really well where he does go with a pet enzyme cleaner to remove that smell from the floor? If he must use the pee pad, then next time he goes, soak up the urine first with a paper towel, and place it on the pad. Then clean the floor. Do this when he is not in the room so he doesn't pick up any negative feelings about this at all for now.

CrazyTzuLady

I just wanted to post an update on my stubborn boy who I tried to potty train to go indoors on the pee pads :( After 4 months of trying, I finally gave up because he was not progressing and I was tired of cleaning the carpets all the time. He would just NOT use the pee pads. I decided on Saturday to take him outside and IT WORKS. He's literally had 2 accidents in 3 days which is a miracle..LOL. He completely "gets it" and doesn't even have to be told to go when I let him out.

Just thought I'd share this...I guess they really do have a mind of their own!

Great news, it is such a relief when they finally get it. They are stubborn little buggars though are'nt they. :console:

FairyTail Josette

Thank you for the update! That's great news.

I tried to potty pad train my Bichon, Mandy and it didn't work for me, either. She just didn't get it, it seemed to confuse her more, so she's trained to go outside only too. I do think it's more in their natural instinct to go outdoors on the grass. Some dogs refuse to use the pads. :console:

And unfortunately in other cases some just disregard mommy's training all together and go behind her back in the house, no matter what...Grrrr!