Rubble has done sooooo good. No accidents in the house. Now I think I know why. I had found a terd in the cage the other day. He had been acting funny about going outside for a few days.....kinda wierd. I scolded him a bit and thought nothing more. I ran out earlier and came back in to find the blankets and such he lies on in his cage pushed to the corner and a log in the corner. I think he has been dropping a couple and eating them. He is a major time out right now, while I cool down. I took everything out of the cage, cleaned the pan and put him in their with nothing after the scolding of his lifetime. I am furious ! what shall I do ????

FairyTail Josette

Can I ask for more information? I'm thinking Rubble is an adult and you rescued him. How old is he? How long is he left in the crate at a time? Are you taking him outside immediately after letting him out of the crate? You will have to remove the blankets/bedding from inside the crate for now while training. Also, you can't scold him after the fact, they don't understand why you're upset. You have to catch them literally in the act of potty/pooing. Then, it's a firm no, and take them outside to the same spot and repeat same command...i.e, "go potty." The size of the crate is important, too, it should be just big enough for Rubble to stand and turn around. Start with relatively short time spans and get him outdoors immediately, if possible with your schedule. It's normal for them to relapse while potty training when they are puppies or the first several months as they transition into their new home. :kicking:

Most of the time if they feed on schedule, they poo on schedule.

And I do agree with suzi, dont scold or tongue lash etc unless you catch him. They have short memories for the most part.

however my pups poo at least 4 times a day..... once when they wake, after they eat and again in the evening before dinner and then after they eat lol.

I have no idea why they poo so much. But normally if they poo in their crate its because they are either left in too long or they didnt poo when they were suppose to when they went out and just not letting you know.....

If you have a wire crate and it came with a divider, use it until he learns again that his crate is not the place for potties. No blankeys or anything... mine got the hint in a matter of days after I took the blankeys out and used the divider.

Edited by Stacey

I agree with the previous statements. It's difficult for me to understand why people would think that a dog understands what time out is all about. Even the best trained dog is going to have occasional accidents. No need to get upset about it just be consistant in your training. Length of time spent in the crate and his feeding schedule are important factors in his continued success. Dogs are generally very eager to please their humans but their success depends a lot on the patience and understanding of the human. You can make or break the dog. Unneccessarily harsh punishments can really set a dog back and create an unstable cowering mess of an animal. Your goal should be to create confidence in your dog. You really don't want your dog to fear you. Hang in their Rubble....you'll get it sweetie!

Thanks guys, Rubble is 15months old. I understand not to scold him, but I was soooo mad. We made up afterwards, thats for sure. :D I put him in the cage when I leave for work. Usually at 11am. I come in for lunch most days around 2-3pm. I let him potty before I leave the house in the AM and then we go out at lunch. He usually just pees then. He goes back in the cage until I get in around 6:30-7:30pm. We go out then and he pottys. He does fine from 1AM till 8or9 am when we get up. He sleeps with me at the foot of the bed. All of a sudden this morning he peed in the bed as I went to pick him up to tak ehim downstairs and outside to potty. I caught him in the act and scolded lightly with a No, No, Bad Rubble. Took him downstairs and out immediately. I put the divider in the cage and left him there this AM. I will report back after lunch.

Is he new to you and your just now potty trianing him?

Or have you had him since he was a pup?

Obviously something is troubling him.

Maybe there was a loud noise that scared him when he was alone and is idifying that to releasing himself.

Maybe you could cover the cage a bit to allow him some security when he's alone. Leave the TV or radio on,

so he can some BG noise..

Or could be he is having separation anxiety and he's displaying his anxiety in pottying...

But, I think he's showing signs of being separated and alone throughout the day due to

something that scared him when he was alone in his cage.

Maybe also you can put a kong with treats filled in it in the cage with him to tohelp him concintrate on that and not lay there focused on his being alone...

A chew toy or maybe an older shirt of some sort that has your sent on it that will give him comfort, but nothing yougonna freak over should he mess onit.

And the last is He may be sick...

If it contunues, I would INDEED call a vet and maybe have him checked out...

At least if for nothing else, to rule out anything bad going on in him.

That's just MHO....

enchantedmountain

He is certainly old enought to hold it all day. All statements above are true and the first thing I would do is make sure is crate is small enough and he has no blankets. Some get it and you don't need to do things like that and some need the extra bit of "help". I had one that I had to make her crate sooo small and no blankets, but within a week it stopped and now she has no troubles at all. good luck with him and certainly take others advice above.

I went home at 3:30pm....He had did great. No signs of messes nor did his breath smell of poop. LOL We went outside he peed instantly. We then went for a small walk around the cul de sac. HE acted like he needed to go poop but he never would. I played with him a bit and comforted him and then put him back in to the cage for his last couple of hours. He is in their with the divider. He has just enough room. Thats it. More to come...................

CrazyTzuLady

Good boy Rubble! :D

Well, we spoke to soon. :hug: I went out for a couple of beers and a burger and came in to find he had somehow pooped and got the terds out of the cage. :tapfingers5rg::D His legs front legs were all wet like he had peed and laid in it. ughhhhhh. I took him out before I left.....he pottied but wouldnt poop. I fed him at 7pm when I got in. I didnt leave until 8:15 and got back in at 9:20pm to find the mess.

Ok

If he wont go after you take him the first time try again in about 30 mins.... but you would think he could hold his poo for a little while... maci can hold hers about 3 to 4 hours until she gets outside.... she will not use the bathroom in the house period.

Even if your going to leave the house for a few mins... try not to feed them prior to going... wait til you get back, so you can watch him.

I would suggest starting training over again like he's a puppy.... if all else fails.... he should not want to lay in his own urine or feces..... if he does it a time or two in that crate with the divider.... then he will eventually learn that he doesnt like that and try to hold it longer.

FairyTail Josette

Sometimes, keeping track with a log of food/water/treats and urine/poo, helps to see a pattern of their schedule and you can adjust feeding accordingly.

When you take him outdoors, and say the command and he goes potty or poop, have treats in your pocket, to reward him right then and there. This helps in his mind to make the connection.

Eventually, when he's trained, you can add his bedding back into the crate. They do get to know your schedule of your usual comings/goings, if you deviate from the schedule, it may possibly set up Rubble for an accident during the training phase. All in all, it sounds like Rubble is doing very well! It takes awhile with a lot of consistency. :D

So far so good !!! He has been acting a lil' strange, but he is coming back to him old self I think. I have a trip planned for few days and he is going to stay with my parents. It will do us both some good. LOL He was soooo excited to be back home after the last trip.