Teaching your dogs tricks

tzu_delight

Do any of you teach your dogs tricks? I am just wondering what all they know and how you taught them to do it. LOL I know I am asking a bit much! 176.gif Mox will sit, stand, and he now will lay down when I say down! woowoo And today Chowder is sitting when I tell him too! I want to teach Moxie to roll over after he lays down, I just don't know how to go about doing it! :head_hurts_kr: So I am asking for everyone's input on how they do it! 234.gif

Rally knows how to roll over, and he knows "Bang Your dead". .lol. I first taugh him to roll over by letting him lay on his side and moving the treat around his head till he would twirl over..He caught on pretty quick..Then after I taught him that I made it into 'Bang your dead' by having him only roll half way..and then rewarded him with a treat..

Payslee knows "Give me your Paw" and "Meerkat" (since she looks like one, I taught her to hop backwards like one).. I've found that if they are treat driven with a little bit of patience and liver they will do damn near anything! lol..

I taught Pandora to 'creep' by getting her to lay down and then slowly moving the treat in front of her till she would use her front paws to creep to it..this is a very cute trick for tzu's!

Good luck!

luvinpreciousntoby

I love teaching my pups tricks.. Precious can sit, stay, down, situp, dance pretty, give me five... she will also leave it... back (at the door) and other daily things that help ensure she is safe.. I had a cocker spaniel, that would do all these plus roll over, bang.. play dead... and sit up with food on her nose, and she'd throw itin the air and catch it when I gave her the go ahead..

I use treats when I train.. it's just a matter of saying command, repeated, as you show the pup what you want them to do.. then immediately praise and treat... sometimes it takes patience.. but in time it's all good. In rolling over.I have them down. I take the treat in my hand.. give the command and gently move her so she rolls,, once roll is complete, get all excited,, praise praise praise and treat..

Good Luck.. let us know how it goes.

tzu_delight

Thanks for the tips you guys! I do the treat thing and praise them! I am sooo proud of them already! :head_hurts_kr: I just wanted some more tips on some more tricks and how to teach them. I love the idea of making them creep for the treat! Tooo cute!

Well...I didn't really TEACH her per se', but did start offering treats, to get her to continue doing it when I would say.."Give momma a kiss" and I posted a video of SuziBoo giving momma a peck on the lips kiss..LOL

She knows,

GET THE BALL..

SIT, STAY, COME, UP..(to come up to the couch or to stand up) LAY DOWN, GO GET IN YOUR BED,

and now, as it was just by playing when we are in bed at night, but she'll lay next to me and I will start kissing her all over her furry face, and she will look as if she's wiping off the kisses..LOL and when I brush her facial / head hair at night in bed also, she'll paw at her head and bring all the freshly brushed hair back up and over her face and I'll say: Suzie making her pretty? and she'll stop, look up and have the goofiest look to her with that wild hair she just FIXED...lol and we'll repeat that several times, so now when I say, SUZIE MAKING HER PRETTY? She'll paw at her hair and mess it up..LOL

It's cute..

Corkey, knows sit up, sit, stay, come, and for some reason, how this took place I haven't a clue..but when I call him GOOBER..

He'll start rolling around and making these wierd chewbaca sounds and kick his feet in the air..

LOL

Edited by Apeke

After Ellie learned to lie down I started to have her roll over. I used treats as well and while saying roll over I took the food and swooped it behind her head, then assisted her in rolling over. Then praised her alot and gave the treat. Ellie was quick to learn her tricks and it only took one sitting, but with patience and praise yours will have it in no time.. Good luck

MickiNRooney

rooney knows: sit, come, down, home (go to the crate), bed (go to the bed), outside (go to the door), touch (tap my hand with his face), paw (give me five with the paw), spin and we are learning roll over.

I use treats/praise to reward a behavior. I taught him paw by putting his paw on my hand and giving a bit of a treat. When he did it on his own, I praised or treated him. He learned from there.

I took obedience classes at the humane society and I am learning a lot about training and such.

Both pups can

Leave it

Sit

Down

Up

Stay

Finish It - My poo potty command

Get in the box - command for get in your crate

Bert himself can

Drop it

Rollover - I had to manually roll him over a few times until he understood, now I just have to roll the treat around his head hopefully he soon do it on his own.

Maci can

Sit

Stay

Down

get in the box

Edited by Stacey

good post! DH and I were discussing this same thing last night...looking forward to some tips!

Do any of you teach your dogs tricks? I am just wondering what all they know and how you taught them to do it. LOL I know I am asking a bit much! 176.gif Mox will sit, stand, and he now will lay down when I say down! woowoo And today Chowder is sitting when I tell him too! I want to teach Moxie to roll over after he lays down, I just don't know how to go about doing it! :baby: So I am asking for everyone's input on how they do it! 234.gif

Josie knows much more than Maddy, both were treat based trained. Maddy is always to excited to get the treat....so he takes longer to learn, however we have moved from just sitting before he gets his meal to not touching it until I say good boy which Josie has always done.

Josie knows, sit, down, roll over, sit pretty, dance, gimme five, gimme ten, leave it (a treat on the floor or on her paw, til I tell her good girl), wait (if we are walking and come to a street crossing, she will sit and wait, or if she is running back to the house and about to pull me across the lawn, I say wait and she will slow up or sit and wait.

Maddy knows, sit, down (although sometimes he wants to go ahead and roll over), roll over, leave it (a treat on the floor, but he is still working on this, I have to keep telling him eht..), working on gimme five.

About the rolling over. Maddy, is a real sucker for a belly rub. Everytime we walk up to him when he is on the bed or couch, he rolls over on his back and we give belly rubs. I kept saying he would never learn roll over cause he was too focused on the treat. All of a sudden, I realized he was half way there every time he rolled on his back for the belly rub. So, I didn't show him the treat til he got the belly rub, the showed the treat for him to continue the same direction and then used the roll over command and lo and behold, he was rolling over in just a few tries.

Watch for some of the things they may already do that you can carry a little further, like the roll over, to make it in to a trick or continue a behavior that will make a trice. Loads of praise whether you use treats or not.

Good luck, lets see videos.

TheShihtzuation

I bought this book at Barnes and Noble on clearance and used that as a guide. It uses the clicker method and is treat driven. (We use plain ol' cheerios per the suggestion of a few board members here!)

Pokey is doing great and picked up super quick on "sit", "give me your paw" (which I changed to "high five" and he does it), "roll over" and "up" (where he'll jump up to get the cheerio). I bought a cheap clicker for like 2 bucks on amazon.

We also started him in the puppy class at PetSmart - so that he can become socialized (since he gets no love from Big Brother Klepto!) and I want him to learn the proper way to walk on leash.. actually, he does pretty good already.. but the "wait" and "heel" commands are going to be very important because we don't have a fence.. I just want to make sure he learns them properly. :blink:

Good luck!

tzu_delight

Thanks for all the info! I am sooo excited b/c my babies are smart too! LOL I sure I am VERY biased! :) But I am going with one certain "new" command for an entire week, then I go to a new one, and that is if they have the one down good that we are doing. I loved reading what everyone's babies can do!

Alice knows the basic commands such as sit,down,sit stay, down stay,come,stand, leave it, drop and wait. I am teaching her how to shake,roll over,dance,sit pretty,quiet and a few others. She is a fast learner and I am very impressed with her. Emily on the other hand will sit, down and shake. She pretty much refuses to do anything else.

Well, Harley is only 8 weeks but he knows sit so far. We're still working on down. If we ever get down we'll do roll over.