Is this bad

princessesmomma

Hi everyone it's been a while since I have been on here with Princess. Yup we are still having potty problems. I take her out first thing in the morning for her to do her poop and pee, then she comes in to play and eat. Then I take her out again. But here is the thing I feel like I have to take her out every half hour. She is allowed to be down stairs if she goes up stairs all the door are closed so it just a hallway for her. But is this terrable I put a doggie diaper on her. Because I feel like I cant keep up with her potty business,she doesn't give me a sign that she has to go outside. I say to her do you have to go "outside" she will get excited. So I will take her out. I have another dog of a different breed and he will let me know he has to go out. Princess not so much. She will be 1 at the end of May. What am I doing wrong!!! She is in a crate at night time and when I can't watch her aka doing house chores or running errands she is in a crate. But if I am doing house chores and I feel guilty that she is in a crate I will put a diaper on her. This may sound gross and wrong but I can deal with picking up dog poop off the floor it's the pee that can totally ruin your carpets.

Do i need to start all over?

Well She is 1, and generally should have caught on by now.

Do you give her treats when she goes outside to do her business and do a potty dance?

I personally only use doggy diapers for heats and incontanince (sp) however her being 1, have you had her checked for uti? Seems like more than 1 potty every 4 hours is too much for her age.

I generally keep to my potty schedules..... after wakey in morning and after any naps..... other than that they are poochie bell trained to tell me when they need to go... however.. lea generally wants to go every 2 to 3 hours... which is not good, i really want to stretch her bladder since she's so tiny....

I crate mine when I need time in the house without them under my feet, and for them its nap time at that point, they dont mind, they love their crate.

Im still having maybe one accdident a week as far as pee goes.... but now that I free feed I been seeing more poo accidents.... because they get outside just sniffing around and I think their done when they are not.... so its usually my fault not theirs.

to be honest it sounds like your doing everything i would do...... so it is possible there is an underlying problem.... so you'd probably want to rule that one out first.

I have read that if you use doggy diapers you are just teaching them to use the bathroom in the house and be relax about the whole thing. So You might be making things worse with that.

kcsheperd

What are you feeding her? Maybe she needs some food that would stay with her a little longer.. My puppies are 6 months old, and the best thing I have done for them is a schedule. I still have a little trouble with Sawyer, but Payslee is now potty trained about 95%. The only time mine are in a crate is when I leave the house. I don't crate them while with me in the house. I do keep them in plain sight at all times though.

I feed them in the morning when I get up, and then let them outside..they always pee/potty in the morning, either when they first wake up, or after they have had breakfast. Then I put them in the kitchen where they are gated off until I get home at noon. I let them out when I get home, they both pee/potty again. Then we go for a walk around 4:30 and they pee/potty then as well. After that they have their supper, and are pretty much set for the night. Then we wake up and start all over. I've found that this routine has really helped. Now Payslee has a tiny bladder, and I will take them out periodically throughout the day, but as for the pottying, its pretty much set in stone at this point.

I do free feed kibble throughout the day, but they usually only 'snack' on that, and eat their two main meals. So a strict feeding/pooing schedule is what has worked for me with the little ones.

My Pandora (who was 1 year old when I got her) was very hard to house-train until I started walking her everyday..Once we started doing that she would go like clockwork..Have you tried exercise?

princessesmomma

I have started all over again. I think part of the problem is I give her free food all day along with water. So I put down her food for the morning and then in the evening. She has access to water all day tho. I have also went out and got a big long baby gate that you can add to. So I put that accross my dinning room and put accross the stairs. So now she only has access to the family room and kitchen. As before the down stairs goes in a circle and she would go in the dinning room to do her potty where I couldnt see her. So it has been two days and no accedents. :kicking: The other problem I think was I didnt take her out for excersise or playtime. So now that the weather is nice out I have taken her out to our backyard and the pups run around and play and get the wiggles out. I know it has only been two day's but hey I am excited I feel like I have made some head way. Now if I can figure out how to teach her to let us know she has to go potty.

CrazyTzuLady

That is great news! :aktion033:

You can try to have her tell you, but I've always told my dogs when it's time for them to potty. I know how long they can wait, and just take them out and tell them "potty". It's like telling your skinkids to go potty before you get in the car to go somewhere. You know when it's time. Not free-feeding is very important! When food goes in the belly, a reflex (gastro-colic, it's called, in people anyway) occurs that sends stool into the rectum. If food goes in by small amounts all day, a good pattern isn't established.

• 3 weeks later...
princessesmomma

Well I think we have sucessfully potty trained princess atleast for the downstairs area!! I am doing the happy dance. She sits at the door and waits and looks at us and we praise her and take her out. As for if she goes upstairs with out us knowing we have a bathroom mat that she loves to pee on. Hasnt figured out how to give us a signal if she is upstairs and got to go,but I guess I rather have her have a accident on a bathroom rug that I can throw in the washer then on my carpet. :)

CrazyTzuLady

:tapfingers5rg: way to go Princess!

shihtzumomof2

I bought the doggie diapers for when I visit my sister. Mostly for Cricket....she is really drinking and peeing a LOT with this Cushings Disease. Luckily if she does have an accident, her urine is so diluted that it rarely has a strong smell, but it still requires getting out the little green machine and cleaning it up. I'm slowly but surely taking up all of my carpet and for some reason, they don't seem to go on the hardwood floors. But I haven't used the diapers on any of them yet.