My 1 1/2 yo FEMALE Tzu has started lifting her leg when peeing!

If she pees on the grass, she will squat. But if she gets up near a telephone pole or tree, she will lift her leg - always her right leg.

She does go to daycare, occationally, so this is the only place I can think of where she could have picked up this habit.

luvinpreciousntoby

Hmmmmmmmmm,,, I can't help you with if it's normal or not..... my little girl squats... which is difficult if a single blade of grass is too tall.. it's readjust and try again.. so you can imagine how many attempts it takes before lift off... LOL... wonder if your female could teach my female???? LOL

GizmoHappyKitty

Don't know how common it actually is, but my neighbour also has a little female Bichon that lifts her leg to pee on poles like the boys, I think it's funny............he he he. Both my girls squat with one leg lifted when they pee on the grass, and they never pee up against poles or trees, just my boy does that. :roflmao:

Michele and the pups

It is funny to watch, because you know she is a girl and should be squatting. She gets herself up so close to the pole, so that when she pees, she is right on target.

We have a lot of bigger dogs in our neigborhood, and I am guessing most are males, cause she has to stop and sniff every pole and mail box post and tree we pass on our walks and pees on those spots, even if it is just a trinkle that comes out.

It's quite common, esp. in spayed females.

It's quite common, esp. in spayed females.

Hummm I learned something New today. I love this place and all the help we get on here. :roflmao:

CrazyTzuLady

That has to be awfully funny to see. I will have to watch Delila more closely and see if she has joined my boys pee pee train. :dede:

Sammy and  Su Lee's Mom

Now you need to get a boy tzu that squats and that will totally confuse all the people you encounter on a walk :dede: :P

Edited by Sammys Mom

Hummm I learned something New today. I love this place and all the help we get on here. :dede:

I SECOND THAT!!!

mom2Gizmo

My almost 8 year old shepherd mix lifts her leg. She also kicks up the grass. High status dogs will do this. Interestingly, dogs that are insecure will also do it. I joke with Cocoa that she is gender confused. :) Anyway, she has been doing it since about 2 to 3 years of age.

Oh, and yes.....Cocoa is spayed. I don't know whether it has anything to do with it. Gizmo is 9 months old (neutered) and has has started lifting his leg and kicking up the grass in the last few weeks.

Edited by mom2Gizmo

I'm figuring that the loss of estrogen and other female hormones normally secreted by the ovaries is what allows the leg-lifting behavior in spayed females.

(I know it worked for me after my total hysterectomy)

"She also kicks up the grass. High status dogs will do this. Interestingly, dogs that are insecure will also do it."

Willow does the same, though not every time she goes potty. Now that I think of it, she also does the kicking in the house when she is trying to be dominant with my cats.

How can you tell if the kicking is due to High Status or Insecurity?